MR: 2 Hours of Power

Mike, to answer your question, moving is kicking ass right now. I just got Barred from the Uni gym (because I’m no longer a student), so there’s nothing left for me in Galveston. :stuck_out_tongue:

Question: You’re helping Cressey with his bench in competition, but why? I’ve always wondered, how does one get chosen (besides being a big mo fo) for spotting/liftoff? What do you have to watch for when given that responsibility?

Thanks!

The best angle is multiple angles! Hit it from different ways to hit different areas of the back.

When you shoulders, you mean traps? If so, static stretch the traps to inhibit them before rowing/pulling. This works wonders for people I’ve worked with!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Helix wrote:
Hey MR, gonna jump on the face pull bandwagon with another question.

What angle is the best to keep your arms at? Should they be in the exact plane of your shoulders(IE: upper arms making a 90 degree angle w/ your upper body) or are your arms bent down slightly?

Secondly, I definitly feel it in my back but sometimes I get some shoulder fatigue. Is this normal or a sign of improper form?[/quote]

Hey Mike,

I squatted with a friend today and a few questions came up.

1. A guy joined up with my friend I and said he was a doctor or something. He told me that I shouldnt where a belt unless I’m squatting > 3xBW. What are your thoughts on wearing a belt when squatting heavy. I was working a 3x3, 1x1 with about 90% and 95% of my max.

2. He also said that since I’m training for basketball and increased vertical, I should squat with a pretty narrow stance instead of wide. Maybe I should stop squatting so wide and go narrow even though the weight will drop on all sets?

3. My friend works a lot in the 10-12 rep range and claims he wants to destroy his legs every time he squats. He wants to lift til he “throws up and passes out.” His goal is to get bigger but claims he gets strong this way too. An example of his workout:

135x10
185x10 hard
185x10 almost failure
135x12 failure on last rep

I told him he might want to try a 6x3 or day sometimes or maybe even 5x5 so he can use more weight. Would getting stronger doing more strength based workouts allow him to build muscle easier later when he’s squatting a good amount of weight?

Thanks for the help.

Last question of the night, as I’m getting ready to stretch and hit the sack!

1 - The doc doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about; if that was true, only like .5% of the population could wear a belt! On very heavy sets, go for it, if nothing else for the psychological advantage.

2 - Again, all stances are good. Mix it up and do one phase narrow stance, the next wide. As well, work your body in many planes and movement patterns.

3 - Sorry, but this is a meathead philosophy. Check out my “Powerlifting for Bodybuilders” article or any of Chad Waterbury’s stuff. Needless to say, simply doing reps and going to failure will only work for so long.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Msogard wrote:
Hey Mike,

I squatted with a friend today and a few questions came up.

1. A guy joined up with my friend I and said he was a doctor or something. He told me that I shouldnt where a belt unless I’m squatting > 3xBW. What are your thoughts on wearing a belt when squatting heavy. I was working a 3x3, 1x1 with about 90% and 95% of my max.

2. He also said that since I’m training for basketball and increased vertical, I should squat with a pretty narrow stance instead of wide. Maybe I should stop squatting so wide and go narrow even though the weight will drop on all sets?

3. My friend works a lot in the 10-12 rep range and claims he wants to destroy his legs every time he squats. He wants to lift til he “throws up and passes out.” His goal is to get bigger but claims he gets strong this way too. An example of his workout:

135x10
185x10 hard
185x10 almost failure
135x12 failure on last rep

I told him he might want to try a 6x3 or day sometimes or maybe even 5x5 so he can use more weight. Would getting stronger doing more strength based workouts allow him to build muscle easier later when he’s squatting a good amount of weight?

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Mike, I have been trying to figure out some strategies for controling volume in terms of lifting. EC said that an article had been sumbitted to TC on methods he uses to track and control volumes in lifitng. I know that many upper level lifters use cybernetic periodization, but this seems nearly impossible for a less exerpeienced lifter who doesn’t know how to listen to their body as well.

I wanted to get your ideas on ways to control volume. Like some rules of thumb to follow as when to use higher loads and higher intensities and when to back them off. I know CT likes to work in a 4 week cycle where he starts moderate and ramps up the volume into week 3, and on week 4 he unloads by 50%. I know that Dave Tate uses a periodization scheme from Supertraining (from what was said on the Elite Site ) on his Big Bad Bench article. Do you have any schemes/charts/ or any other tips to follow when working with volumes and intensites like what CT and Dave Tate have?

Thanks

Ok, this is REALLY my last question tonight!

I’m helping EC with hand-offs, getting him in his gear, and verbal cues. Some idiot coaches will give their lifters like 20 cues, but a good coach/lifter will only give/need 1 or 2. If you have to think about 20 things before you do a lift, well, you’re SOL! One or two technique cues is the most you’ll be able to utilize in a competitive situation.

For instance, with EC, he’s told me to yell “Lats!” or “Use your lats!” while benching. I have certain thing I like to hear while doing certain movements, but that’s a different story!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Mike, to answer your question, moving is kicking ass right now. I just got Barred from the Uni gym (because I’m no longer a student), so there’s nothing left for me in Galveston. :stuck_out_tongue:

Question: You’re helping Cressey with his bench in competition, but why? I’ve always wondered, how does one get chosen (besides being a big mo fo) for spotting/liftoff? What do you have to watch for when given that responsibility?

Thanks![/quote]

bump

Mike, any word on periodization within a mesocycle?

I’ll be on from 7-9 EST tonight, so if you have questions drop 'em here and I’ll get to them then. Thanks!

Stay strong
MR

Buckeye,

I discuss this in my “Program Design 101” article; my method is very similar to CT’s. Here’s the link:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459411

As well, you’re right about Cybernetic Periodization being applicable to most beginning lifters. However, if you keep getting under the bar long enough, you’ll figure it out. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
Mike, I have been trying to figure out some strategies for controling volume in terms of lifting. EC said that an article had been sumbitted to TC on methods he uses to track and control volumes in lifitng. I know that many upper level lifters use cybernetic periodization, but this seems nearly impossible for a less exerpeienced lifter who doesn’t know how to listen to their body as well.

I wanted to get your ideas on ways to control volume. Like some rules of thumb to follow as when to use higher loads and higher intensities and when to back them off. I know CT likes to work in a 4 week cycle where he starts moderate and ramps up the volume into week 3, and on week 4 he unloads by 50%. I know that Dave Tate uses a periodization scheme from Supertraining (from what was said on the Elite Site ) on his Big Bad Bench article. Do you have any schemes/charts/ or any other tips to follow when working with volumes and intensites like what CT and Dave Tate have?

Thanks[/quote]

Mike,
I am currently cutting BF using a carb cycling eating plan and using a modified Chad Waterbury’s Triple Total Training. On my max effort day (to keep strength) i have it set up as such:
Deads: 1x3 (1 set of 3)
1x3
1x1
1x1
1x1 (try for 1RM)
Box Squats - 3x3
Hang cleans - same as deads
BB Rows - 3x3

My question is this, how many days between max effort days do you recommend? to my suprise, i am actually getting stronger week to week in a caloric deficit on all lifts (including those on my other two lifting days) and i was thinking about adding another max effort day on some other exercises. i just wanted to see your thoughts on adding this day; too taxing on a caloric deficit?

Don’t get too carried away with the ME movements. You could be increasing your lifts from week-to-week for several reasons:

• You are just learning the movements
  • You have been doing high rep work for quite some time
  • Your nervous system hasn’t been exposed to enough low-rep work

Regardless, I wouldn’t take max efforts more than once a week for a lower body and an upper body movement. Remember, ME doesn’t always mean a single, either; you can always do heavy sets of 3 or 5 as well.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]trailer36 wrote:
Mike,
I am currently cutting BF using a carb cycling eating plan and using a modified Chad Waterbury’s Triple Total Training. On my max effort day (to keep strength) i have it set up as such:
1x3
1x1
1x1
1x1 (try for 1RM)
Box Squats - 3x3
BB Rows - 3x3

My question is this, how many days between max effort days do you recommend? to my suprise, i am actually getting stronger week to week in a caloric deficit on all lifts (including those on my other two lifting days) and i was thinking about adding another max effort day on some other exercises. i just wanted to see your thoughts on adding this day; too taxing on a caloric deficit?[/quote]

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Don’t get too carried away with the ME movements. You could be increasing your lifts from week-to-week for several reasons:

• You are just learning the movements
  • You have been doing high rep work for quite some time
  • Your nervous system hasn’t been exposed to enough low-rep work

Regardless, I wouldn’t take max efforts more than once a week for a lower body and an upper body movement. Remember, ME doesn’t always mean a single, either; you can always do heavy sets of 3 or 5 as well.

Stay strong
MR

trailer36 wrote:
Mike,
1x3
1x1
1x1
1x1 (try for 1RM)
Box Squats - 3x3
BB Rows - 3x3

My question is this, how many days between max effort days do you recommend? to my suprise, i am actually getting stronger week to week in a caloric deficit on all lifts (including those on my other two lifting days) and i was thinking about adding another max effort day on some other exercises. i just wanted to see your thoughts on adding this day; too taxing on a caloric deficit?

[/quote]

Mike,
the wierd thing is that i have been at this for 10 years and even went through 4 years of D1 athletics. i also have been using low rep/high weight (Waterbury style) type programs for the past year or so. i made good progress with them before but usually only on a calorie surplus. do you think it could be the carb cycling that is contributing to an anabolic response in my body? this is the only part of my routine that i have never used before.

if it helps stats are 6’0", 184, 9% bf, 24 yo.
training:
mon: 4 compounds (6 sets of 3
wed: 5 compunds (4 sets of 5)
fri: outlined above

thanks again for your help.

Could be, all though I admittedly don’t have a ton of experience with the diet.

As they say, “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth!” Enjoy the gains when they are coming, but recognize if you start to show signs of overtraining. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]trailer36 wrote:
Mike,
the wierd thing is that i have been at this for 10 years and even went through 4 years of D1 athletics. i also have been using low rep/high weight (Waterbury style) type programs for the past year or so. i made good progress with them before but usually only on a calorie surplus. do you think it could be the carb cycling that is contributing to an anabolic response in my body? this is the only part of my routine that i have never used before.

if it helps stats are 6’0", 184, 9% bf, 24 yo.
training:
mon: 4 compounds (6 sets of 3
wed: 5 compunds (4 sets of 5)
fri: outlined above

thanks again for your help.[/quote]

Anyone planning on attending EC’s meet in Chicago this weekend?

I’ll be heading up tomorrow and hope to be there around 2 p.m.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Anyone planning on attending EC’s meet in Chicago this weekend?

I’ll be heading up tomorrow and hope to be there around 2 p.m.

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Mike,

I’m planning on being there (as long as my car situation works out.) I wouldn’t miss the chance to meet up you and EC. Are you going straight to the meet tommorrow?

-Geoff

Yeah, we’re staying in the hotel, so I’m going to work a little and hopefully get some sort of training session in!

Stay strong
MR