T Nation

MPB: Gene from Mother's Side?

Is it an effective/accurate to look at your mothers side of the family to tell if you may or may not have MPB? Reason I ask is because my mother and all of her siblings ( 5 in total ) are female. So no game for me?

if i am not mistaken, the mpb gene is carried on the x chromosome, the one that would be from your mother if you are a male.

problem is, she only has to have 1 to give it to you. I think a female may have to have the gene on both chromosomes to show symptoms.

Before I have to employ my google-fu tasticness, WTH is MPB?

[quote]orion wrote:
Before I have to employ my google-fu tasticness, WTH is MPB?[/quote]
that avi is cool

[quote]orion wrote:

My guess is Male Pattern Baldness.

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

My guess is Male Pattern Baldness. [/quote]

Oh hell no…

OP, shave your head and let your balls drop.

There, instant pussy pass.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

Oh hell no…

[/quote]

Hahaha.

Sorry, should not laugh. Could be a serious problem. But I agree with Orion, BIC that head and profit! If you’re somewhat muscular, and moderately charming, the girls won’t be able to resist.

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

Oh hell no…

[/quote]

Hahaha.

Sorry, should not laugh. Could be a serious problem. But I agree with Orion, BIC that head and profit! If you’re somewhat muscular, and moderately charming, the girls won’t be able to resist.[/quote]

No seriously I just wanted a way to know if it was going to be on its way or not, not like I give a fuck anyway, first sign of getting baldness I will shave it all off!

Yep supposedly your grandfather on your mother’s side is the biggest indicator

[quote]Gcortese wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

Oh hell no…

[/quote]

Hahaha.

Sorry, should not laugh. Could be a serious problem. But I agree with Orion, BIC that head and profit! If you’re somewhat muscular, and moderately charming, the girls won’t be able to resist.[/quote]

No seriously I just wanted a way to know if it was going to be on its way or not, not like I give a fuck anyway, first sign of getting baldness I will shave it all off!
[/quote]

My father was bald, I am not, noone on my mothers side is, and, given the information that it is indeed inherited from the female line and whatnot…

I would still shave my head and go for it.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Gcortese wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

Oh hell no…

[/quote]

Hahaha.

[/quote]

My father was bald, I am not, noone on my mothers side is, and, given the information that it is indeed inherited from the female line and whatnot…

I would still shave my head and go for it.[/quote]

Yea I want to rock that chrome dome look, just need to get more muscular.

[quote]Gcortese wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, you totally don’t give a shit. You give such little shit about going bald that you didn’t make a thread about it when a much quicker google search would have given you the answer you didn’t want to hear.
Have fun not giving a shit about going bald.

1mg Finasteride + Rogaine daily = :slight_smile:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
1mg Finasteride + Rogaine daily = :)[/quote]

If this works for you you’re lucky and I’m envious.

Rogaine (or more specifically minoxidil) had side effects for me such that I was forced to stop using it. I’m too scared to try Finasteride.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Yep supposedly your grandfather on your mother’s side is the biggest indicator[/quote]

1. Interesting
  2. Damn

It’s not true in all cases. My maternal grandfather was balding from the time he was about 5 years old (he had a “receding” hairline from that time. I’m only being slightly facetious). My Paternal grandfather and father have the same hairline that I do, widow’s peak dark brown hair that went gray over time, and neither ever went the slightest bit bald. I’m now 37 and show not the slightest sign of going bald, when I was told for years that, because of the maternal gene involved in MPD and my grandfather’s very shiny pate, I was almost certain to. Indeed, I never even really worried about it, and even after boatloads of steroids, I have not shown even the slightest sign of thinning hair.

Not saying my case is normal, but cases like mine do exist, so it’s not exactly the kiss of death if your mother’s father looks like Kojak.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
1mg Finasteride + Rogaine daily = :)[/quote]

If this works for you you’re lucky and I’m envious.

Rogaine (or more specifically minoxidil) had side effects for me such that I was forced to stop using it. I’m too scared to try Finasteride.
[/quote]

Finasteride has it’s share of side effects, too, including possible damage to the liver. There’s no easy answer. Look into hair plugs. Or just shave it and own it.

I think it just depends on what genes got passed on to you. My grandfather from my mothers side was bald with a sweet comb over. My hair has been starting to get a little thinner for the past few years. My brother though has much thicker and fuller hair than me and he is older. So just because your grandfather from your mothers side is bald doesn’t mean you will be.

It can literally pass an entire generation of family… It is not a good indicator anymore… Thats wifes tale stuff…

The easiest way is to get a test done by a derm, they will check hair density in the crown and around the scalp, For white males slight temple recision is normal for the front hairline, once you go NWIII its considered MPB though… Also every case is completely unique to each person and impossible to gauge other then with age… And of course better to catch it in the early stages to keep the hair, because regaining and re creating terminal hair follicoles is only best possibly done with transplantation…

Fin also has some nasty side effects it blocks DHT before it reaches the scalp, but this can also totally screw with you’re sex drive or make you impotent… I would do ALOT of research before using drug products…

That site has the best info to offer in terms of medication…

There are other sites with good alternative methods… such as http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/

It offers scalp massaging and scalp exercises to do something about aggravating DHT from sticking to follicles and offers actual well done suggestions about stuff that could work in terms of help and whats bs…

Anyways plenty of options out there, and if you want you can always just shave it all off, I would just think carefully before plunging into any medication that plays with hormones.

Yeah its bs that its only your mothers side, it can be inherited from either parent and it can skip generations.

Also, there is an emerging theory that an increasing amount of white males are predisposed to MPB. Something like 75% of males experience some form of recession and/or thinning by their 40s, suggesting MPB may not be a “defect” as such, but rather just varying levels of genetic sensitivity to androgens in the scalp.

Anyway if you follow the latest research, better treatments aren’t far off, another 2-3 years at the most. Theres also a lot you can do to slow it down or halt it completely, some even experience regrowth.

There is also a lot you can do with current treatments (yes even without finasteride, which i would not touch with a 10 foot pole) to slow down or halt MPB in its tracks. This site here is a fairly good resource for those just now reading into treatment: http://www.follacure.com/

You could even purchase these forthcoming treatments that are being researched from chinese suppliers, as many on hair loss sites do. However the problem there is: cost, reliability, and most of all finding a formula that works.

Personally I think a slight amount of recession is a good look for most dudes, it makes you look a bit more mature/masculine. That said, if its getting to the point where its obvious you are balding, just fucking shave it off and get a tan. You don’t want to be one of those pathetic comb over retards.