Mozilla Jumped the Shark?

[quote]eic wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I’ve had it all of 10 minutes, and I don’t really see anything slowing me down.

Of course I do have a Mac, and…well…Mac’s rule.

Still running smooth, RJ? I’m looking to pop FF3 onto my Powerbook. [/quote]

Like buttah. But I’m not a power user. As long as I have my weather add-on, and the thing don’t crash, I’m happy as a clam.

I don’t like how the new Firefox URL bar is setup. I don’t like the fact that it includes my bookmarks, has a big font, etc. I tried to look in the options, but couldn’t find it… any ideas how to modify it?

I’m getting that choppy scrolling too, and it only happens on T-Nation…Go Figure. And some of my favorite add-ons are not available…

Might “down grade” back to 2.0 for a while until they can get some of the issues worked out.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I’m getting that choppy scrolling too, and it only happens on T-Nation…Go Figure. And some of my favorite add-ons are not available…

Might “down grade” back to 2.0 for a while until they can get some of the issues worked out. [/quote]

It’s a known issue with pages that use a stationary full screen background image.

You can play with the compatibility check values in about:config and force it to use the old extensions which may or may not work with some or all of them.

Put about:config in the address bar and when the configuration file comes up right click and create a new boolean value named checkCompatability and set it to false. Same thing with one named checkUpdateSecurity. That will disable Firefox’s check of whether stuff is for that version or not. You’ll get some scary tags and red exclamation points in the addons dialog, but some of the old extensions will work though the interface may be different. I wouldn’t use themes that aren’t for that version though.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
eic wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Still running smooth, RJ? I’m looking to pop FF3 onto my Powerbook.

Like buttah. But I’m not a power user. As long as I have my weather add-on, and the thing don’t crash, I’m happy as a clam. [/quote]

You do have the enhanced version right?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
rainjack wrote:
eic wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Like buttah. But I’m not a power user. As long as I have my weather add-on, and the thing don’t crash, I’m happy as a clam.

You do have the enhanced version right?[/quote]

I don’t know from enhanced. I downloaded FF3 for Mac. I didn’t see any options for a regular, or enhanced version. My “about firefox” just says “firefox 3.0”.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
rainjack wrote:
eic wrote:
rainjack wrote:

You do have the enhanced version right?

I don’t know from enhanced. I downloaded FF3 for Mac. I didn’t see any options for a regular, or enhanced version. My “about firefox” just says “firefox 3.0”.

[/quote]

Sorry, I meant this
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1978

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Sorry, I meant this
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1978 [/quote]

No - I just have forecastfox 0.9.7.6

I think I had what you are talking about in ff2, but it was not compatible with ff3, so I removed it and downloaded the first weather add on I saw.

I have no problems with Firefox 3. All my old plugins work and I got a badass new theme too. The address bar took a few seconds to get used to but I actually like it more now.

I feel like this belongs here.

What the hell is everyone talking about with the address bar? I dont see any major differences, certainly nothing that would take any getting used to.

It now displays titles and favicons with each address in the drop down.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
eic wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Like buttah. But I’m not a power user. As long as I have my weather add-on, and the thing don’t crash, I’m happy as a clam. [/quote]

I can confirm that it rocks on a Mac. Loaded it up and it is awesome. Looks/feels like a cross between Safari and Firefox. It is my new favorite browser.

I don’t like the fact that I can’t use my old skins and Fasterfox anymore.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I don’t like the fact that I can’t use my old skins and Fasterfox anymore.[/quote]

They will soon be updated for Firefox 3, dont worry just be patient.

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
I don’t like the fact that I can’t use my old skins and Fasterfox anymore.

They will soon be updated for Firefox 3, dont worry just be patient.[/quote]

They already have a few themes ready for ff3. I downloaded the space shuttle theme, but it’s too dark.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Sorry, I meant this
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1978

No - I just have forecastfox 0.9.7.6

I think I had what you are talking about in ff2, but it was not compatible with ff3, so I removed it and downloaded the first weather add on I saw. [/quote]

It works for me in 3. If you like Forecastfox this one is even better. The animated radar is really cool.

I like the new address bar, as well as being able to bookmark things in the address bar. No memory problems as of yet, I left my browser open overnight out of curiosity.

I have a Macbook Pro so this may not hold true for the windows versions.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I don’t like the fact that I can’t use my old skins and Fasterfox anymore.[/quote]

See my post on the previous page if you want to force old extensions to be active in version 3.

A sidenote

What add-ons do people like? I used to try them out all the time but found they were slowing my PC down so I stopped even looking. The only one I use right now is Foxmarks.