Mozilla Firefox 4

I want to DL and try out Chrome but I currently have IE and FF on my Desktop. I don’t know where it came from but I heard that if you have too many internet browsers it slows down your computer - the CPU or whatever. Not exactly the most computer literate.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
I want to DL and try out Chrome but I currently have IE and FF on my Desktop. I don’t know where it came from but I heard that if you have too many internet browsers it slows down your computer - the CPU or whatever. Not exactly the most computer literate.[/quote]

Only if you have them all open at the same time. If you have a relatively new machine it should easily be able to handle 3 browsers.

Problem is I don’t, purchased in '05. Old but reliable, as they say. You think I should uninstall IE?

Problem is I don’t, purchased in '05. Old but reliable, as they say. You think I should uninstall IE?[/quote]

I don’t know what you should do. I do know that just having it installed will not slow down other browsers that are running.

Incidentally, I have a Dell workstation (Win XP) from early 2001 that runs all the latest browsers just fine. It’s slow by virtue of being 10 years old, not because multiple browsers are installed.

Problem is I don’t, purchased in '05. Old but reliable, as they say. You think I should uninstall IE?[/quote]

Sometimes computers are like people - they just fucking stop for no reason.

i.e. what works great on one might not run so well on another. Try them out and see which one seems fastest on your 6 year old pc (which is quite old) without strangling other processes. Then uninstall, or simply don’t use, the rest.

I personally never saw the need for using more than one browser type if you’re a typical home user. My personal preference is still Firefox, very simply due to NoScript, but I haven’t looked at Chrome in some time so NoScript may even be compatible with it now.

I’m quite sure getting Chrome and uninstalling IE will make your machine faster if anything. At least not slower. Try it.

There’s no need to uninstall IE. Unless you’re really low on hard drive space, I don’t see why you would get rid of it. The IE files sitting on your hard drive isn’t going to make your PC slower. It’s also good to have a 2nd browser just in case. You might find certain sites don’t work well with one browser and might have to use IE out of necessity. I don’t like IE, but I still have to use it to connect to certain sites at work (certain Cisco products).