Moving to the USA

I jsut graduated highschool.

I live on an island in the mediteranian and am I diving instructor, but now I am going to move to the USA on an immigration visa.

I will most probably be living in Chicago.

I will start college as soon as I am somewhat stable, I am planning to recieve minimal help from my parents.

My brother also lives in Chicago.

What kind of job could I get?
I have an option in a big food company, not sure if I am allowed to post the name here. I have connections and I will be getting 9$p/h with decent benefits.

What major differences should I expect from the island european life, to the USA big city life?

Recommend any gyms in the Chicago area?

What about food? Where can I buy food in bulk, cheap prices, or what are some good places to eat out with lots of protein + calories.

How is the cultural aspect? I enjoy jazz, blues, etc, art, a theater.

There are alot of intelligent people with priceless life adivce on these forums (Namely Angry Chicken whose posts Ive enjyoed reading greatly). What are the advices can you give me about starting out in a new country, in an unknown city, with no friends. I have a few connections in the food industry but thats only as far as reccomendations go.

Please share some wisdom.

how did you get your visa? what type is it?

Dont wear capri pants.

Watch the sitcom Perfect Strangers, and copy exactly what Balki Bartokomous does.

Pic for reference

I’ve never been to Chicago… but as a fellow immigrant (I’m from Cuba) I can give a few cultural differences when you go to college.

1)Way too much drinking, both men and women. Parties are all about drinking, people sit around, talk, play beerpong and other alcohol related games.

2)When choosing a woman to be your girlfiend you must pay attention to the details of their beheavior.
–>Here the sluts and serious women are all mixed. A woman’s background, her family, her neighborhood, her group of friends, the classes she is taking, her college degree, etc … are NOT reliable indicators of her character. So you gotta pay close attention when qualifying potential girlfriends.

3)Too many women here have a sence of entitlement and an attitude. Making that worst, too many dudes here are bunch of pussies when it comes to women, is like they are afraid to tell them “NO”.
–3a)This however, is good for us immigrants. If you put a woman in her place and don’t kiss her ass they will love you for it. (contrary to what they say, and contrary to what you see on TV). Also, the dudes here offer little competition.

4)There is a lot of shitty fattening food around here, either too much sugar, too much fat, or both. Just because a food packege says “Fat Free” or “Healthy” it usually is not. So my advice is to cook your own food.

5)Few people here know how to cook, and women are no better that guys.

6)College is expensive, BUT at the same time it isn’t.
–1st go to a Community College to do your basic classes (English, Match, Biology, Chemsitry, etc), is way cheaper. Then transfer to a proper College/University to finish your advanced classes.
–Fill out the FASFA Federal Student Aid!!! Its really easy, I didn’t my 1st year and I had to pay out of pocket NOT COOL!
---->with the FASFA filled out, now you can qualify for Pell Grants (free $$), Subsidized student loans (you don’t begin paying until 6months after you finish school), etc. You also need the FASFA for scholarships too.

7)A lot of black women and a few Hispanic women borned in the US, have HUGE attitudes.

8)If you plan to get married make sure to get a strong Prenuptial Agreement.
–Divorce laws, and divorce courts here (proably the same it W.Europe) lean too much to the side of women. They don’t need a reason to divorce you, simply saying “I am not happy” is enough to get her a divorce. And with it she takes the kids, your house, car, 1/2 your salary, 1/2 your assests, and more.

Eitherway… you are coming to the right country. If you are smart and hard working you can make it big here. If you are stupid and lazy you will be poor.

Chicago is awesome. Nice people for a big ass city, nice museums, beaches, parks etc even if there isnt much greenspace I could find. Good public transportation. You’ll love it.

If you like women with big asses you are in luck.

america is the shit. have fun.

move to canada

[quote]Eli B wrote:

If you like women with big asses you are in luck.[/quote]

hum… I need to stop by Chicago then

Your Already Better Off Than More Than Half Off The Chicago High School Graduates. (The Ones Who Just Graduated)

[quote]ImSkinny wrote:
I jsut graduated highschool.

I live on an island in the mediteranian and am I diving instructor, but now I am going to move to the USA on an immigration visa.

I will most probably be living in Chicago.

I will start college as soon as I am somewhat stable, I am planning to recieve minimal help from my parents.

My brother also lives in Chicago.

What kind of job could I get?
I have an option in a big food company, not sure if I am allowed to post the name here. I have connections and I will be getting 9$p/h with decent benefits.

What major differences should I expect from the island european life, to the USA big city life?

Recommend any gyms in the Chicago area?

What about food? Where can I buy food in bulk, cheap prices, or what are some good places to eat out with lots of protein + calories.

How is the cultural aspect? I enjoy jazz, blues, etc, art, a theater.

There are alot of intelligent people with priceless life adivce on these forums (Namely Angry Chicken whose posts Ive enjyoed reading greatly). What are the advices can you give me about starting out in a new country, in an unknown city, with no friends. I have a few connections in the food industry but thats only as far as reccomendations go.

Please share some wisdom.[/quote]

Where will you be staying in Chicago?

There are plenty of good gyms, depends where you live.

Regarding food, I know a place where you can buy food in bulk for very cheap, especially chicken, steak, etc… However, you need a special membership to be able to shop there; and not any one can get it. Every month or so, me and some guys at my gym “stock up” - but, if you’re not serious about training don’t waste my time.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
move to canada[/quote]

yeah we have room

@ Mr. Zero- I am very serious about my training. Training will be all I have when I move. I am leaving my family back home across the pond, my friends, and everything Ive known for the past 15 years. I moved to Malta when I was very little. So It has become my home. Im leaving it all behind, except my training.

How much can I expect a gym membership to cost?

I heard Chicago has very good public transport. So I wont need a car for a while right?

Thank you for all this advice.

Please keep it coming as this is a big turning point in my life and I could use all the adivice I can get.

As soon as you get to Chicago, buy a wagon or 2. A few heads of oxen, some bullets, boxes of food and head west. Don’t forget extra wagon wheels and axles. You can always hunt for food near the trail but you’ll most likely only see rabbit and squirrel…but sometimes you might get a deer!

If you run out of supplies, ammo, or wagon parts, there are stores along the way that you can buy them at or you can trade for them. Be careful fording rivers with your wagon as they do tend to tip over. And try not to catch dysentery.

Pick a different country to emigrate to. The US is ruined. I want to get out.

Well,Welcome to America. I cant give you any advice as to how to settle here (I was born here) but I can give you a few pointers;

-Money is everything. Try not to buy everything you want at once. As soon as you get that first pay check,go to a bank and open a savings account. Things will be hard at first but if you deposit just alittle over time and not touch the money,you’ll be set in no time.

-Women. Asian women are easy to break but boring,Black women have the hugest egos and attitudes,Latina women are easily fertile and unfaithful,and White women have psychological problems and age badly. Choose wisely.

-When socializing,always look at the person straight in the eye and extend your hand out and break a small smile. Common sense? Yes,but a lot of people my age always forget a step or 2. Americans are always business first. If you got something to say,spit it out.

-“Please,Thank You,Your welcome” all go along way.

-Unless your strapped (Which I highly doubt it since Illinois gun laws are fucking retarded) STAY AWAY from the southern part of any major city. (South Chicago,South Dallas,South Boson,ect,)

-Ive noticed that Europeans (Russians and Finnish people especially) always lean on one part of their body towards their dominant leg when at a complete stop,their shoulders droop a bit,and when walking their feet stick slightly away form each other. Do not do this.

-If you smoke,your fingers,wrist,and elbows should all be aligned in a straight line. This is how Americans smoke. Europeans tend to bend their wrist towards or away from their forearms.

This is all for now.

[quote]ImSkinny wrote:
@ Mr. Zero- I am very serious about my training. Training will be all I have when I move. I am leaving my family back home across the pond, my friends, and everything Ive known for the past 15 years. I moved to Malta when I was very little. So It has become my home. Im leaving it all behind, except my training.

How much can I expect a gym membership to cost?

I heard Chicago has very good public transport. So I wont need a car for a while right?

Thank you for all this advice.

Please keep it coming as this is a big turning point in my life and I could use all the adivice I can get.[/quote]

My gym membership costs me 324 a year. They got a deal going on where you get a year free if you sign up; so 324 for two years.

I don’t think you’ll need a car, but it (public trans.) takes getting used to; you will most likely end up in very dangerous areas at first. If you’re not a faggot, you don’t really have to worry.

Why are you “ImSkinny”?

Welcome to USA! It’s a great and beautiful country. Hope you have many adventures!

[quote] My gym membership costs me 324 a year. They got a deal going on where you get a year free if you sign up; so 324 for two years.

I don’t think you’ll need a car, but it (public trans.) takes getting used to; you will most likely end up in very dangerous areas at first. If you’re not a faggot, you don’t really have to worry.

Why are you “ImSkinny”? [/quote]

‘ImSkinny’ is a reference to every gym rats perpetual mind state. Somedays you look in the mirror and no matter how big still sometimes go “Man…im still skinny”.

Or if the question was more, “Why, are you?” Then no, Im not.

Do you live close to Chicago Mr. Zero?