T Nation

Moving, to Become a Sir

Hey all,

  1. Im moving from Sault Ontario to Calgary Alberta. Born and raised in Cow Town but havent been out there for 13 years. Theres been T-cell gatherings there in the past though so who can I look forward to meeting out there? 100th annual Stampede this year so hopefully that draws some other T-Nationers as well.

  2. Going to start taking classes at U of C, biology and Chemestry. See if its a good fit. Looking to become a biochemist/microbiologist.

Suggests? Advice?

Big City, Make more money, become more education…

Hit up the strip club where you throw coins at the strippers vaginas. That is all.

If I remember correctly its a few blocks NE of the Sandman downtown. Could’ve been southeast though, I was pretty hammered. But not as much as those pussies.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Hit up the strip club where you throw coins at the strippers vaginas. That is all.

[/quote]

not sure how I’m going to go about finding this place.

On street: Excuse me mam, but can you direct me to the gentleman’s establishment where we toss coin at lady parts?

heh heh

how bout we open the floor to anyone who knows anything about Calgary that might be useful?

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
how bout we open the floor to anyone who knows anything about Calgary that might be useful?[/quote]
Well the sandman is a pretty sweet hotel. At least the Calgary one. I saw some shitty ones elsewhere.

The train never asks to see a ticket if you get on a rear car.

A Texas accent alone will get you laid.

A cool, underground “basement” (what the fuck is a basement) bar a few block NW of the sandman is unfortunately a goth hang out.

Banff is not very far.

The Crazy Moose Saloon doesn’t exist but tourist shops will sell shirts anyways.

The bums are friendly.

There is a south African deli somewhere around there with a special jerky that is pretty good but in general, bbq sucks.

What is Mexican food?

Traffic is not terrible.

That’s all I’ve got.

I feel ya. Also grew up in a small town, and Toronto sucks cow’s ass. I miss the country side, chasing goats and killing chickens with my bare hands. These people in the city aint never tasted egg fresh from the coop.

Oh, although I’ve never been to Calgary, I sure hope it’s nothing like what I hear about Winnipeg…

Like Winnipeg? What have you done… Lol. Nowhere is like that shit hole…omg the fact you said that.

…if I ever find you…

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

The train never asks to see a ticket if you get on a rear car.

A Texas accent alone will get you laid.

A cool, underground “basement” (what the fuck is a basement) bar a few block NW of the sandman is unfortunately a goth hang out.

Banff is not very far.

The Crazy Moose Saloon doesn’t exist but tourist shops will sell shirts anyways.

The bums are friendly.

There is a south African deli somewhere around there with a special jerky that is pretty good but in general, bbq sucks.

What is Mexican food?

Traffic is not terrible.

That’s all I’ve got.[/quote]

Damn! That’s a good start. I think Mexican food is like beans and stuff? I will find the Crazy Moose Salon.

About the Texan accent that is good to hear, Calgarians are really open minded from what I hear. My gf spentb6 years in Houston, lived near the Medical Center or something, she picked up a pretty believable accent but had to train herself out of it since ppl in the Sault picked on her for it. Weird how in oneplace an accent is an asset but in another place it can be a handicap.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Hit up the strip club where you throw coins at the strippers vaginas. That is all.

If I remember correctly its a few blocks NE of the Sandman downtown. Could’ve been southeast though, I was pretty hammered. But not as much as those pussies.[/quote]

Far as I know, the only strip clubs in Calgary are the French Maid ones, and the only one downtown is more of a classy place nowadays (believe the one you’re speaking of closed down). The Speakeasy down by Chinook Mall has the loonie throwing for sure, and their steak sandwiches on a Sunday afternoon aren’t too shabby (although the girls at that time leave a little to be desired). Can’t speak for the one in the northeast as I’ve never been. The downtown strip joint, the Boudoir Rouge, is actually a fairly classy establishment, and I don’t believe has any of the loonie tossing (at least, there was none of that going on that I saw when I was there). Only been to the Rouge once, but I was there in black dress shoes, black dress pants, and a black dress shirt and I did not feel out of place. I also may or may not know somebody who works the door there these days, not 100% sure.

When are you moving out here, _live? The Canadian Powerlifting Championships will be in Calgary Apr 10-14. I might try to make it down to watch some of that, but there’s also an olympic lifting competition up the road in Red Deer on the 14 I was thinking of trying to take in and maybe coach at. Going to have to see what my schedule looks like.

Oh, and you mentioned the Stampede. I haven’t been since I worked there one summer like 7 years ago. That was fun though, I put up and tore down all the signs for the rodeo and the chuckwagon races so I got to watch the rodeo and the chucks for 10 days straight. I was also the guy during the chuckwagon races who ran out and pulled the furthest barrels off the track once the wagons had cleared the infield so they didn’t run them over coming down the home stretch. Was pretty fun, if I wasn’t allergic to horses I probably would have gone back the next summer haha.

[quote]andrew_live wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

The train never asks to see a ticket if you get on a rear car.

A Texas accent alone will get you laid.

A cool, underground “basement” (what the fuck is a basement) bar a few block NW of the sandman is unfortunately a goth hang out.

Banff is not very far.

The Crazy Moose Saloon doesn’t exist but tourist shops will sell shirts anyways.

The bums are friendly.

There is a south African deli somewhere around there with a special jerky that is pretty good but in general, bbq sucks.

What is Mexican food?

Traffic is not terrible.

That’s all I’ve got.[/quote]

Damn! That’s a good start. I think Mexican food is like beans and stuff? I will find the Crazy Moose Salon.

About the Texan accent that is good to hear, Calgarians are really open minded from what I hear. My gf spentb6 years in Houston, lived near the Medical Center or something, she picked up a pretty believable accent but had to train herself out of it since ppl in the Sault picked on her for it. Weird how in oneplace an accent is an asset but in another place it can be a handicap. [/quote]
Yeah basically beans and some other stuff like meats and vegetables with funny names.

I think maybe you’re girlfriend should teach you her accent so you can both get laid a lot together. If she still says ya’ll, keep her on a short leash.

Yes, the medical center. Central to Houston and between downtown, a couple universities, mid-town and uptown. I too lived near there a few years ago , across a highway in midtown for awhile, what is her name? Never mind, it doesn’t matter if I’m in her past. But does Jennifer sound right? I seem to remember a Canadian Jennifer.

I don’t know what Sauter is but if your gf was made fun of, she should’ve just given a George Bush middle finger. I think Calgary is half Texan anyways, with oil and all.

If you find the crazy moose saloon, please in this order down two irish car bombs and chug a killians red for me. That is how I would’ve kicked off the moose had I found it.

Regards,

HoustonGuy

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Hit up the strip club where you throw coins at the strippers vaginas. That is all.

If I remember correctly its a few blocks NE of the Sandman downtown. Could’ve been southeast though, I was pretty hammered. But not as much as those pussies.[/quote]

Far as I know, the only strip clubs in Calgary are the French Maid ones, and the only one downtown is more of a classy place nowadays (believe the one you’re speaking of closed down). The Speakeasy down by Chinook Mall has the loonie throwing for sure, and their steak sandwiches on a Sunday afternoon aren’t too shabby (although the girls at that time leave a little to be desired). Can’t speak for the one in the northeast as I’ve never been. The downtown strip joint, the Boudoir Rouge, is actually a fairly classy establishment, and I don’t believe has any of the loonie tossing (at least, there was none of that going on that I saw when I was there). Only been to the Rouge once, but I was there in black dress shoes, black dress pants, and a black dress shirt and I did not feel out of place. I also may or may not know somebody who works the door there these days, not 100% sure.

When are you moving out here, _live? The Canadian Powerlifting Championships will be in Calgary Apr 10-14. I might try to make it down to watch some of that, but there’s also an olympic lifting competition up the road in Red Deer on the 14 I was thinking of trying to take in and maybe coach at. Going to have to see what my schedule looks like.

Oh, and you mentioned the Stampede. I haven’t been since I worked there one summer like 7 years ago. That was fun though, I put up and tore down all the signs for the rodeo and the chuckwagon races so I got to watch the rodeo and the chucks for 10 days straight. I was also the guy during the chuckwagon races who ran out and pulled the furthest barrels off the track once the wagons had cleared the infield so they didn’t run them over coming down the home stretch. Was pretty fun, if I wasn’t allergic to horses I probably would have gone back the next summer haha.[/quote]
Which one had the boobie sculptures out front? I may be jumbling memories on the sculptures but I know I threw coins at cooters in Calgary. Highly possible we took a cab but I think we walked. I was very hammered.

Oh and every time I bought coffee at Tim Hortons, I couldn’t help but think of Dr. Seuss.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Oh and every time I bought coffee at Tim Hortons, I couldn’t help but think of Dr. Seuss.[/quote]

LMAO wut? I cant even imagine.

I think I now know far too much about the strip joints in Calgary. I’ll see that I put this knowledge to good use.

Theres enough T-nationers within 5 hours of Calgary that I should get a chance to meet up with a number of them.

Edmonton is better.

That is all.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

French Maid sounds right. Do they have the booby sculptures?

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
French Maid sounds right. Do they have the booby sculptures?[/quote]

All the strip clubs in Calgary are under the French Maid name. Some just have other names too (Speakeasy, etc).

In any case, this thread is making me feel like a Calgary-coin-cooter-tossing T-gathering would be a cool idea.

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Edmonton is better.

That is all.[/quote]

Erroneous.

Wait there is more than one city in Canada? I am blown away.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wait there is more than one city in Canada? I am blown away.[/quote]

yup! free health care in each one.