T Nation

Moving Out

So, I made the decision a few weeks ago that I need to move out of NY. Now, I’m just starting to make the preparations.

Anyway, I’m 20 and currently living at home in NY not attending college nor, at the moment, working a job.

I’m moving out to Cali to live with three girls, attend a community college, to get back into the swing of doing academic work, get a job and generally have a good time.

Basically, the only tie I have here in NY is my car. I’d have to ship it out, which I’m willing to do…

That said, any advice? Precautions? Things I probably havent thought about?

Thanks in advance.

Good luck and good for you!

I have lived in both California and New York (and a few places in between).

There is a huge difference between the two places. Where in NY are you and where in Cali are you moving to.

1. Get an oil change.
  2. Buy a radar detector.
  3. Route 80 Roadtrip!!!

[quote]OrangeBroccoli wrote:

1. Get an oil change.
  2. Buy a radar detector.
  3. Route 80 Roadtrip!!![/quote]

I agree. Why ship your car out when you have a chance for a roadtrip?

Or are you driving with the chicks?

More details are needed.

I moved out to LA when I was 18. I came from a little city in the midwest. California is nice. Nice weather atleast. Some things are more expensive but there isn’t really a huge difference.

All I can say is find affordable housing. I must qualify this though. Don’t live in the hood. It is not a good idea. I would recommend San Diego. I lived inland for awhile also. It sucked I was stuck in the damn desert for an entire summer. Stay out of the mojave. I was greatly disappointed in venice beach. Muscle beach was ok I guess. Orange county is cool too.

you will miss your family. Even though you think you wont; at some point you will really miss them. The funny thing is that when you see them again you’ll be ready to not see them again for six months.

As far as CA advice, I think we’d have to know where in CA you moving to.

Damn, that takes balls. I respect that. Best of luck man.

What the hell, I thought you were still scuba diving or something in Thailand. Anyway, California is beautiful. We have the best of all worlds. Oceans, Mountains, Snow, Sunshine… all within a few hours of where you decide to go. But, if you told me you were going somewhere like… say, Bakersfield, I’d tell you to seriously reconsider. So… it depends really like anywhere else where exactly you want to go. There aren’t many places in Cali that are without merit, but … ya know. So be specific dryer boy.

And…

Good luck with all the hot roomates.

Don’t live with three girls while going to college. Women are distracting enough when you are not living with them.

And definitely do a road trip.

living with three girls? you sure about that?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Basically, the only tie I have here in NY is my car. I’d have to ship it out, which I’m willing to do…

That said, any advice? Precautions? Things I probably havent thought about?

[/quote]

Jack Kerouac it on a roadtrip. This is an experience of a lifetime, too bad young people don’t do this anymore.

Three girls + college = flunking out.

Too much distraction. Other than that, you’re good to go.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

[/quote]

First off, Road trip!
Second off… read the above quote. Yeah I moved in with two girls for about two months. First their was drama, second they were horny, thirdley they take over the bathroom. I was so distracted I didn’t get a damn thing done for school, so I moved out.

Thanks for the replies so far. Sorry about my post being fairly vague… I just typed it out right before bed.

As per the road trip, I was thinking about it. I just got a new (to me) car with 96xxx miles on it, and was thinking better of putting another 3000 on it in one clip. Plus, one of the girls’ out there, her father is in distribution logistics and deals with car shippers. If I can get a good deal, I’m doing that and saving the money and miles.

If I cant get a deal on that, I’ll try to convince one of my friends to do it with me. I already have a radar detector :slight_smile:

I’m currently living on Long Island, and am Moving to Sacramento, Christine.

LL, thanks. Yeah, I’ve got the housing set. The house is one of the girls’ Aunts’ and Uncles’ so my rent is 300 bucks a month. Most excellent.

To Clarify, this isnt the first time I wont be living at home. I went to college for a year and a half, then moved to Thailand for 4 months. It’s just that both times, those were set (as far as an average routine, housing, food, etc.) Those were easy! lol

Hahaha, Molotov. I’ve been home from Thailand since June. I did what I needed to do, and ran out of money, so I came home haha.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
[/quote]

LOL.

Momma, this is what [sorta] happened in CT! Except I was living with three guys.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
Yeah I moved in with two girls for about two months. First their was drama, second they were horny, thirdley they take over the bathroom. I was so distracted I didn’t get a damn thing done for school, so I moved out. [/quote]

Seriously? I’ve heard of people living with girls turn into a living hell, or turn out to be amazing. Interesting.

I’ve always been one to rather hang out with girls than guys, though. I guess we’ll see. haha

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Ya

“Dont shit on your own doorstep”

EVER

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
Yeah I moved in with two girls for about two months. First their was drama, second they were horny, thirdley they take over the bathroom. I was so distracted I didn’t get a damn thing done for school, so I moved out.

Seriously? I’ve heard of people living with girls turn into a living hell, or turn out to be amazing. Interesting.
[/quote]

I recommend driving. I’ve hitchhiked back and forth. I’ve also rode my bike (Harley) half way there then back. The view from the road and the people you meet are worth it.

I lived with three women in Boston when I got out of college. Living with them was fun. Unfortunately, I ended up marrying one. That kinda sucked.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
Yeah I moved in with two girls for about two months. First their was drama, second they were horny, thirdley they take over the bathroom. I was so distracted I didn’t get a damn thing done for school, so I moved out.

I’ve always been one to rather hang out with girls than guys, though. I guess we’ll see. haha[/quote]

My first thought was, “hell yeah im living with 2 girls.” Their are pros and cons to that. Unforertunently Their were more cons in my case, so I left. Hope in your situation it turns out awesome. And yes, horny can get annoying after a while.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Girls (student girls) are often noticeably messier than boys, believe it or not. You may have to do more than your fair share of cleaning and tidying. But hey, you get to hump their friends. DO NOT hump one of your housemates, it is NOT a good idea. “Never shit where you eat” is one of my mottos.

BBB[/quote]

x2