Moving On From Starting Strength

So, i have been running Starting Strength for some time now as i have read a novice should achieve 60kg/100kg/140kg/180kg Press/Bench/Squat/Deadlift before moving to intermediate programming. I dont think i am going to achieve these standards on this programme. I am struggling with a 120kg Squat 140kg Deadlift 95kg Bench and 56kg Press. I have been looking at the 531 BBB 5x5 80% template on a 4day Upper/Lower split spread the stress more evenly, get a good amount of added volume and potentially improve recovery. Also not currently doing any conditioning so thinking of throwing in Prowler after Lower days.
Looking to give myself a year of this to steadily progress. Does this look a good approach to move my lifts on?

I have no idea what an intermediate program is, but if you google Jimā€™s post ā€œHelp a friend get strongerā€ he lays out the exact plan of what to do after you are done with Starting Strength.

2 Likes

Punishers link is definitely worthwhile, I would also add that its worthwhile getting the calculator out and looking at weekly total load. When I moved from SS I did way too little (lower body still moved) then I did 531 BBB, which seemed like to much (I am middle aged and do lots of other sports).

In the end I did beyond 531 1.1&1.2, which are on this site. Worked great and made total sense once I wrote out the weights I was using. It pairs DL and OHP, also squat with bench. If you go heavy with one you do volume with another.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for these replys. So, just checked out at 1.1 and 1.2 20week programme and it looks great and for where iā€™m at right now in my training this looks to be a perfect fit moving forward from SS. I think i will run this and give it a try. One question, i dont have weighted vest for conditioning. Would a steady pace (not balls to the wall) on the airdyne bike work or say 10 walks with a prowler work here?

Sorry donā€™t have much of an answer here as I didnā€™t have a weight vest and instead did some outdoor sports like cycling or climbing. As Iā€™d gone ā€˜off bookā€™ I had to adjust as I went, for example deadlift after climbing is desperate due to tired lats. But feels fine the other way round?

Also, I didnā€™t find 1.3 so effective, but again thatā€™s me messing with the programme in doing other sports.

What I like with this programme is the structure for the upper arm work etc as that isnā€™t in SS and is a weakness for me.

Airdyne is great and Jim has been recommending logging miles on it every week for a while. The prowler would probably be good too, but probably on Saturday (assuming MWF training) or at the end of the workout on Friday. It might be ok at the end of the other workouts, but that will vary by person and it depends on how you use it. Iā€™ve found that for me, the prowler actually helps me recover if I donā€™t push it too hard, but if Iā€™m running a MWF program, Iā€™ll usually work pretty hard on it after the workout Friday or on Saturday.

1 Like

I like the idea of extra arm work as my arms need some attention. As for prowler work it will not be balls to the wall stuff but more, say 20secs on 90secs off kinda thing. But seen as my gym has just brought in 2 airdyne bikes and ive never tried these. I might just use them