Moving from SS to 5/3/1. What to Do?

I am a 57 year old middle school teacher and am very active in my church and community. At the beginning of the year, with help from my doctor, I realized that over the years I had fallen into some bad habits and that I needed to start turning things around.

First off I started walking on the treadmill every morning. I now walk every morning for 45 minutes and spend 15 minutes stretching. This just warms stiff arthritic joints

I heard about Staring Strength and picked up Practical Programming and began follow the recommendations for Older Populations

I lifted 1 on and 2 off
Workout A
Squat 3x5 5 pound jump
Bench 3x5 5 pound jump
Lat Pulldown 3x10

Workout B
Squat 3x5 5 pound jump
Press 3x5 5 pound jump
Deadlift 1x5 10 pound jump

Then eventually after stalling dropped 10% and did:

Workout A
Squat 3x5 5 pound jump
Bench 3x5 2.5 pound jump
Lat Pulldown 3x10

Workout B
Squat 3x5 5 20% reduction from Workout A
Press 3x5 2.5 pound jump
Deadlift 1x5 5 pound jump

Still lifted 1 on and 2 off but with the day after lifting walking a Prowler

Then eventually after stalling dropped 10% and I am currently doing

Workout A
Squat 5x5 Acending Sets with 5 pound jump a month
Bench 1x3-5 + 2x5 back off with 2.5 pound jump a month
Lat Pulldown 3x10

Workout B
Light Squat 4x5 working up to the last warm up from workout A
Press Bench 1x3-5 + 2x5 back off with 2.5 pound jump a month
Deadlift Bench 1x3-5 + 1x5 back off with 5 pound jump a month

My lifts went from:

Squat 85-195
Bench 85-140
Press 45-100
Dead lift 115-225
Prowler 10 forty yard walks starting with no weight ascending to last set with 95

I weigh 175

I keep stalling and a friend of mine suggested your book 5/3/1 2nd edition.

After reading it I am not sure what to do . I would like to cut down to lifting just Mondays and Thursdays for the summer months. I like the looks of Option 1 Full body, Triumvirate, and Body weight even though I can not do dips (shoulder issues) or yet chin.

What program would you suggest. I have a home gym and my goal is to be as strong and healthy as possible when I retire in four years to enjoy outdoor activities with my wife. Also, I have been told I would be getting an Airdyne for Fathers day and would like to work that in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is a 2 day per week routine: Effective Training for Busy Men

I’d just do that, can the dips and do inverted rows until you can do chins.

Good work on your progress so far.

Thanks.

I will give it a go after I get back from vacation.

I like doing bench and squat on Mondays and press and deadlift on Thursdays.
Each day would be like this:

Bench or Press 5/3/1
Superset with 50 reps of a pull accessory

Squat or Deadlift 5/3/1
Superset with 50 reps of a push accessory

50 reps of abs
I also do 50 reps of curls but that’s just personal preference.

I also like the full body template from Beyond if you’re looking for something like that.

Good luck!

One last question.

After taking 85% of my TM would you suggest I continue with the 5 lb. jumps for squats and dead lifts and 2.5 for bench and press after or start off with 10 lb for lower body and 5 for upper body.

Thanks

I would just stick with 5# increases for presses, 10# increases for squats and deadlifts.

Also, I’m not sure if you maybe just worded it weird or if you don’t understand the TM, but just to clarify:
Use the estimated 1RM formula to find your current estimated maxes for each lift, multiply by .85, and that’s your TM.
Another way to do it would be to find a weight that you can get AT LEAST 5 solid reps with and use that number as your TM.

I hope this helps.

I did misunderstand. Thanks for setting me straight.