Moving from a Big House to a Small Apartment

Me and the GF are moving from a large home (4 x 2) with large yard, to a smaller apartment (2 x 2) in town. Will be much closer to work and should be able to walk/cycle/skate to 80% of my destinations

The move happened suddenly as my rental agreement ended as the owners wanted to move back into their house.

Anyway, I’m a little nervous as I have never lived in a smaller apartment before. Any tips on how to live in a smaller space? Anybody else have experience with moving from a larger house to smaller one?

Discuss.

tweet

Throw away 75% of your crap and you will be fine!

6 Likes

@ChickenLittle: have thrown away about 30% of my crap. Probably need to go through it all again and throw away another 10%.

Its amazing the amount of shit you cumulate after a few years.

tweet

1 Like

Downsizing is easy for me. I just give or throw stuff away.

The wife though… totally different story. She still has floppy disks from college “just in case”.

Just in case what? Lotus makes a big comeback and people get tired of palm sized super computers?

9 Likes

@SkyzykS: your wife sounds like me. Although Im like that with old clothes… for example there is one t-shirt I cant throw away because it used to be my favourite training shirt 5 years ago etc etc.

tweet

Do you have kids?

Excuse me, that’s MY WIFE! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol, I’ve been fighting to pre-emptively “downsize” as we approached our first kid. I spent the last two weeks (when I wasn’t helping the wife or doing house chores) getting rid of as much crap as possible now so my wife doesn’t look around in five years and tell me that we need a bigger house…

2 Likes

Downsizing can be cathartic if you want it to be. You have the opportunity to really exam your own life, and figure out what ‘things’ are important to you. And some things you thought were important, you’re able to let go of. There’s a sense of relief that can be drawn from that. Owning fewer things can lead to really appreciating the value of the things you do end up keeping. I like it. I moved from a big 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment when I got divorced, so I went through this just a couple years ago.

Homes feel so much better when they’re uncluttered. The biggest thing I would suggest is get rid of enough to make sure it doesn’t feel cramped. A mistake I’ve seen people make is moving to a smaller space, and ‘making it work’ with too much stuff. They keep boxes and boxes of stuff they don’t need, and they end up never really making the space work for them, it never feels like home. They cram too many pieces of furniture into rooms because they just can’t part with the giant sectional couch they once purchased for a much larger room, or the multiple bookcases and end tables they once needed to fill more space.

But yea. Embrace the process, it’s much easier that way.

4 Likes

I can’t tell what the weather is going to do tomorrow but yeah, well, you know…

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice friends.

Half way through the process at the moment. Another good tip I got from a buddy is to throw away 3 items every 1st of the month and to make a little ritual about it. And also only buy something if you are replacing that item with something else (minus some exceptions of course).

Moving closer to town I am considering purchasing an electric skateboard to get around town on, as most places will be a walking distance from my new residence.

Looking forward top this uncluttering phase of my life.

tweet