T Nation

Moving Dirt is Hard Work

Got 6 YARDS of dirt delivered on Saturday morning with promises of severe weather Saturday evening.

Turns out that 6 yards of dirt is a lot.

1 shovel, 1 wheelbarrow and about 100 feet between where the dirt got dropped off and where the dirt needed to go.

Also needed to dig out 4 stumps for where the dirt was going.

Turns out it takes a lot of work to dig out 4 stumps and move 6 yards of dirt. Had to sharpen my axe 4 times on one stump, that bastard was tough.

No time for the gym…though I doubt I would have gotten quite the same level of workout from landscaping all day. I’m very happy that I had been going to the gym and doing a lot of back, deads, squats because my body was only partially destroyed after 8 hours of straight landscaping.

Hats off to the landscapers out there, that is a tough job.

Been there, done that! I did a big landscaping job at my house last July with a lot of dirt moving as well as building a gravel path and stone wall. Of course everything was dumped in my driveway and had to be wheelbarrowed to the site. It took 3 days and I was positively used up aterwards.

landscaping is a tough job, when i started at 14, i couldnt do a day. stared weightlifting, now im faster and stronger than anyone at work.
deads, BBrows, grip training, cleans, squats and curls are the most ‘job specific’ exercises i belive you could do.

good job man, that was a fucking lot of work, and you got it done in 8 hours? you’re a machine.

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
good job man, that was a fucking lot of work, and you got it done in 8 hours? you’re a machine.[/quote]

Yeah, that was probably the hardest I have ever worked in one day.

I drank a ton of fluids (gatorade, water, couple protein shakes) and still ended up losing 4 lbs since breakfast! Yikes.

Hardest part was cutting out the stump, though if you had a bad week at all taking an axe to a piece of wood does wonders.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
landscaping is a tough job, when i started at 14, i couldnt do a day. stared weightlifting, now im faster and stronger than anyone at work.
deads, BBrows, grip training, cleans, squats and curls are the most ‘job specific’ exercises i belive you could do.[/quote]

I was VERY grateful that I primarily train deads, squats and rows at the gym. I can say that my chest felt almost nothing but every other muscle in my body let me know that it had done some work. My forearms were screaming from all the grip work.

Man I hate stumps. When I moved in my house had a TON of evergreen bushes…took them out and then had probably 12 or 13 stumps to dig, pull, yank, etc, out.
I agree landscaping is tough work and my hat is off to the guys and gals who do it.

I do not like hard physical labor all the time, but sometimes I really enjoy working hard

I did that shit for a long time… it’s hellish work. I don’t advise it for anybody.

It’s a necessary evil when you have to get shit done, but it beats you down. It might be entertaining for those who don’t do it often, but man I hate it.

i tore down a house trailor…the hard way, the smash and clean up way. it sucked, but after 3 10-14 hour days, i didnt need to go to the gym, i didnt have the energy l0l

Funny story –
my dad had to dig ditches for his summer job in college. Not actually a paid job – you live in a Communist country, you have to do mandatory “volunteer service.” So, one time we were in a museum together, looking at a video of a performance art piece where a man digs himself into a hole and stays there for 24 hours. Dad says, “Wow, he has excellent form. I would know!”

Ditches are hard to dig. Props to those who can.

That shit will make you want to get an education.

It did for me.

if you live out in the boonies,black powder and pvc pipe will save you alot of time.

oops, disclaimer,i in no way condone doing anything illegal!

That’s partly why I’m in school. Too iffy with seasonal work. Us landscapers that don’t snowplow get laid off all winter long. It sucks. Props to you for moving so much dirt so fast OP. We had to clean out a rain garden on the second tier of a sidewalk at Calvin College in grand rapids, re-seal it (the planter was leaking to the building below it) and then fill it in with 10 yards of pea rock and I think about 20 yards of potting soil.

The soil was a breeze but the pea rock took 4 of us almost 3 days. Both had to be shoveled onto a conveyor then wheeled through the planter towards the back. I was not a happy camper but definitely got my workout in for the week

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
That shit will make you want to get an education.

It did for me.[/quote]

hahaha. yup.