T Nation

Movies That Shouldn't Be Remade

I heard they’re remaking Fight Club… but it’s women this time.

[quote]four60 wrote:
3rd flick Battle Royal[/quote]
x2 on Battle Royal

Hopefully the no shirt rule stands!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I heard they’re remaking Fight Club… but it’s women this time.
[/quote]

There are several movies that should not be remade. Such as-

Back to the future

Jaws [I actually read that they were thinking of remaking this with Tracy Morgan playing Roy Scheider’s role. That would be the worst movie of all time]

Forest Gump

Basically any movie that not only stands the test of time, but defines the time it was made. A movie I would like to see remade however is DUNE. Saw that they’re working on it, and that has the potential to be epic.

[quote]four60 wrote:
No way your telling me that, you think Highlander is un touchable for a retelling/remake?

I think the idea is to big for one movie it should be 3 movies 1 with him and his egyption guide (Sean Connery) teaching him blade skills an the way of the imortals
2nd Movie him thru the 1800’s fighting with his own group of immortal friends

3rd flick Battle Royal[/quote]

I respect you as a man and I consider you an internet friend. Highlander is where I draw the line.

Its perfect. Fuck Lord of The Rings and whatever else!

You cut off, Four60.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Was reading in MuscleMag the other day Commando and Total Recall are being remade. The guy who stared in Avatar and Terminator Salvation will be the lead.

Anyone else think that only Arnold could pull those movies off?

What other movies? The latest Karate Kid was a travesty IMO, never did nor will I watch it.[/quote]

Actually Karate Kid was pretty good, but I’m a big Jackie Chan fan, so I’m a little biased.

The guy that starred in Avatar and Terminator must have friends in high places or sold his soul, because he looks like he’s in a few big budget movies without being a good actor or having the physique to pull off the action roll part.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
“There can be only one!”
That is so true for the Highlander franchise isn’t it? I don’t even really like the TV show.[/quote]

I actually watched the show first and loved it. Then I watched the movie and loved it. Only two Highlander films I can’t stand: Highlander 2 and The Source.

[/quote]
Ditto. Loved the show.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Escape From New York. I would like to see a re-make, but they couldn’t do the original justice.[/quote]

Didn’t they do that with Escape from LA? Exact same movie, all the way down to the hang gliding scene.

I read a while back that they were thinking of remaking it, but with a foreigner as Snake Plissken. Kurt Russel was pissed; apparently Snake is too American a character to be played by an Aussie, Brit, or other generic white nationality.

I kinda agree actually.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Was reading in MuscleMag the other day Commando and Total Recall are being remade. The guy who stared in Avatar and Terminator Salvation will be the lead.

Anyone else think that only Arnold could pull those movies off?

What other movies? The latest Karate Kid was a travesty IMO, never did nor will I watch it.[/quote]

Actually Karate Kid was pretty good, but I’m a big Jackie Chan fan, so I’m a little biased.

The guy that starred in Avatar and Terminator must have friends in high places or sold his soul, because he looks like he’s in a few big budget movies without being a good actor or having the physique to pull off the action roll part.[/quote]

Totally agree on Sam Worthington. As far as I know other than Avatar every movie he’s been in has bombed. Don’t know how he keeps getting major roles.

Highlander should be remade. That movie was way too slow and boring, and the swordsmanship absolutely sucked. Aragorn would be perfect to play the lead.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Highlander should be remade. That movie was way too slow and boring, and the swordsmanship absolutely sucked. Aragorn would be perfect to play the lead.[/quote]

I will fucking murder you.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Highlander should be remade. That movie was way too slow and boring, and the swordsmanship absolutely sucked. Aragorn would be perfect to play the lead.[/quote]

Yeah, Viggo would be great. He really did his research and stuff on swordplay for LOTR. Or I was thinking Gerard Butler since he’s Scottish and all.

Ok, fuck Viggo. There is no need for a Highlander re-make.

Jim Carey should be the highlander in the remake, and Dave Chappelle as the kurgin. Sean Connery should stay though.

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
Highlander should be remade. That movie was way too slow and boring, and the swordsmanship absolutely sucked. Aragorn would be perfect to play the lead.[/quote]

Yeah, Viggo would be great. He really did his research and stuff on swordplay for LOTR. Or I was thinking Gerard Butler since he’s Scottish and all.[/quote]

No, not Viggio. Aragorn.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/Aragorn

The guy good mornings 600. How would you keep him OUT of a highlander remake?

[quote]Otep wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
Highlander should be remade. That movie was way too slow and boring, and the swordsmanship absolutely sucked. Aragorn would be perfect to play the lead.[/quote]

Yeah, Viggo would be great. He really did his research and stuff on swordplay for LOTR. Or I was thinking Gerard Butler since he’s Scottish and all.[/quote]

No, not Viggio. Aragorn.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/Aragorn

The guy good mornings 600. How would you keep him OUT of a highlander remake?[/quote]

Oh, okay! Sorry I misunderstood!

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Was reading in MuscleMag the other day Commando and Total Recall are being remade. The guy who stared in Avatar and Terminator Salvation will be the lead.

Anyone else think that only Arnold could pull those movies off?

What other movies? The latest Karate Kid was a travesty IMO, never did nor will I watch it.[/quote]

they remade King Kong twice, so nothing is safe. I hate remakes. I tolerate a remake if it was a lessor know movie and they slightly change it in maybe a positive way. The Mechanic is one I want to see.

As for remaking crappy Arnold movies, go ahead. It’s not like he can act anyway.

Commando. Enjoy:

http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/movie-news/1274-wait-for-it-russian-commando.html

Movies that should never be remade:

A Clockwork Orange, or anything else by Stanley Kubrick for that matter
Jaws
Star Wars (all of the old ones)
Chinatown
Alien
certain Hitchcock films should never be remade, but some would be nice to see redone
Hitchcock films that should not be remade: Psycho (too late), Rear Window, Vertigo, The Birds, Rope
Platoon
Apocalypse Now
any/all of the Godfathers
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Deliverance
American Psycho
anything with Paul Newman in it, specifically Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler or Hud. NO ONE has the onscreen charisma that Paul Newman had and no one should ever even think about trying to replicate it in a remake.

This list could go on and on. Three movies that I loved that I WOULD like to see remade: Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Russell Crowe and Sharon Stone as George and Martha and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? with Sharon Stone as Baby Jane Hudson and Nicole Kidman as Blanche Hudson and Bullitt with someone really cool playing Frank Bullitt. There’s no one as cool as Steve McQueen though, so I’m open to suggestions on this one. Who is are some really “cool” actors in Hollywood that could pull the part off?