T Nation

Movies That Scare The Crap Outta Ya

Given that it's All Hallows Eve tonight, I thought I would get a little discussion going on some scary movies.

Which ones scare me most has changed over time. "Jaws" has always stuck with me to the point I never feel comfortable swimming in the ocean. And Lord knows "Poltergeist" did a number on me as a kid.

But for me, the movie that most scared the crap outta me was the "Exorcist III: Legion". I've heard some people dismiss it as bad or crap, but when I watched it in college, I had to sleep with the light on. No joke. All of that demonic possession nonsense gives me the heebie-jeebies. I was curious if anyone else got worked on this flick as well. I mean, the scene with the confessional and the scene with the nurse still unnerve me just to think about.

Which one gets to you?

I saw saw 3 the other day. Scary, but more disturbing than anything.

My favorite is Dawn of the Dead. The first time I saw it, it stayed on my mind for the rest of the night. Now, I've seen it at least 10 times since then.

The Grudge and The Ring would be next.

Others that are just fun for the sake of it being a "scary movie" but aren't really scary...Wrong Turn, Resident Evil (the first one), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (for no other reason than to see Jessica Beil), and the first two Aliens movies (both of which are just classics and always will be).

They overdid the gore effects. A skull getting sawed into is just interesting to me. I've seen it done for real so their attempt to gross people out with it just seemed funny to me. I thought the overall story was better written than the other two, however. I just didn't need to see someone's legs twisted off or their rib cage ripped open.

I just watched EIII Sunday. I think its good. I hadnt seen it in a while. Love the big scissors!

The only flicks that ever really got to me were werewolf flicks. The Howling gave me nightmares for a month as a kid. So, of course, I watched it again and had nightmares for another month. American Werewolf in London nailed me too. Dog Soldiers is a good newer one.

The scene in "Hannibal" where Hannibal Lector is feeding Ray Liotta's character his own brain really creeps me out.

I also liked the scene in "The Ring" where you see the girl sitting in the closet for a split second and her heads bows down. It only really works the first time though.

Isn't that what doctors do for a living? (hence, the term "sawbones")

Might have been kinda boring for you.

The Ring was good, especially the first 20 or so minutes (and the part where they show the girl in the closet, I jumped back on my couch and nearly hit the wall). I have not seen The Grudge, but it looks very intriguing. Maybe I can snap it up with OnDemand or something tonight.

I also enjoy the movies that are "horror" but not exactly scary, like all of the Resident Evil series. Just kinda fun to watch. In a similar vein, I also really liked Seven. I guess that's really more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie, though. "WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?!?!?"

Movies that seek to scare you with gore are just lame to me. Scary is all about crawling into the viewer's head and messing with some deep-seated fears, not just splattering blood all over the place.

These films coming out soon look genuinely scary to me:
http://www.horrorfestonline.com/

(New)

House of 1,000 Corpses

Basically a rip-off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre but it scared the shit out of me. I was very happy i didn't see it at night.

Devils Rejects is the sequel and a better overall movie, but as scary.

(Old)
Nightmare on Elm Street. Freddy's coming for you!

Halloween tops the chart. Suspense, creepy music, playing to your wors nightmares, and the fact I was 8 years old it scared the dhit out of me.

But boy does it ever work (see post above - lol). Click below at your own risk...

Movies that usually scare me are thrillers, not horror movies. In case you guys haven't seen it yet, I won't give it away, but there's a scene in The Departed where one of the key characters gets shot in the face rather unexpectedly. I literally yelled in the theater!

I vote for The Ring. I watched it by myself, at home, at night, during a summer vacation in college. When I got to the scene above, I refused to watch the rest of the movie until my family came home.

By the way, if The Ring scares you, look it up on Wikipedia and read about Rasen, it's prequel/sequel. It's very "WTF." I lost all fear of the movie after I read that article.

I'd still be scared if I had to see it again, though.

When I was young I watched Stephen King's IT. Scared the shit out of me and gave me a lasting distrust of clowns. Saw the movie again 5 years later and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it.

The scene in the ring (the remake) when she walks out of the t.v was highly disturbing. Also the scene from the movie House on Haunted Hill where the girl is walking through the halls of the abandoned asylum with a camcorder.

She walks past all the empty rooms (viewed through the camcorder) when suddenly one room has all these surgeons perfoming an operation and they slowly look up to see her. For some reason that did it for me!

Pet Cemetary scared the fucking crap out of me. That little kid freaks me out, man.

1.) Fatal Attraction

2.) Don't Look Now

A friend was just telling me that the hills have eyes was the shockingest, most disturbing movie he ever saw.

i probably won't see it cause I ain't into that shit.

Saving Private Ryan especially the scene where the German soldier kills the American one and tells him to relax because it is over...

I don?t think horror movies come even close to a realistic movie about war...

So what if a ghost has a grudge? Fuck him...

Dark Night Of The Scarecrow. Last movie I was ever scared watching. Up all night crying, thanks mom! I was 6 at the time. Never been scared by a movie since.

I saw the Japanese version of the Ring called Ringu before the American release and how my apartment was situated my bed perfectly placed to where if I were laying down I could see nothing but the living room t.v. Needless to say I didnt sleep much that first night.

Another one that got me was Event Horizon, I've never jumped so much in one movie in my life.

Poltergeist terrified me as a kid to the point that I hated sleeping in a room with closets that had mirror fronts.