Movies that Actually Scare You

Justin Bieber: Never say Never

That new Sarah Palin movie “Undefeated”.

The original Candyman, Cabrini Green and all. I had nightmares for a good week, and I was in 7th grade when I saw it!

I saw Red Dragon when I was little. Couldn’t sleep with my back to the door for like a year, would just put my head on the opposite end of the bed, lol.

The NeverEnding Story - G’mork freaked me the fuck out as a child. One of the few characters that ever gave me nightmares.

Confessions of a Shopaholic - A woman who can’t stop spending money wracks up a huge credit debt and then sets out to find a man to unload her problems onto.

Exorcism of Emily Rose
Event Horizon
Mothman Prophecies
The Ring
The Grudge
Movies involving large bodies of water and what’s in them.
The Exorcist III (The part where the Jesus statue opens its eyes)

Silver Bullet, Stephen King book I think. Watched it age 7 or 8. Did not get up out of my seat till the VHS tape (yes that long ago) finished completely and the tape re-wound itself.

The Thai version of Shutter. Chilling, very good. I think many horror films are better in languages we don’t fully converse in. In my case Japanese, Korean and Thai. All good horror films.

The exorcist without a doubt. Saw it when I was 12 with a buddy. The scene where she was stabbing herself with the cross freaked me out for a good few weeks.

Large Marge from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure creeped me out when i was like 4 or 5.

As a 9-year-old with a very active imagination, the original Nightmare on Elm Street scared the crap outta me. Also the film of Steven King’s “It” freaked me out - imagination again!

Event Horizon scared me the first time I saw it. The sound in that film is fucking awesome (saw it at a big cinema, first time around). However, I’ve seen it so many times now it no longer bothers me.

Ring (Japanese original) bothered me the first time, too. It’s not out and out scary but it disturbed me enough to give me sleeping trouble that night.

Exorcist didn’t bother me at all but I’ll admit Exorcist III is very underrated - excellent “boo” moment in the hospital.

Also The Descent. Not so much the creatures, but the whole sense of claustrophobia. Excellent boo moments too. (Pity they made Descent 2 - they should have left well alone).

Hostel. Supernatural never scares me, but real world possibilities are another thing.

Creepshow I and II.

And it sounds silly saying it since it’s been so parodied and copied, but The Blair Witch Project was hands down one of the scariest pieces of film I had ever seen when it came out. I saw it in the theater and was home alone that night and for the first time in years I was genuinely scared to be in the house by myself.

In order in which I saw these as a child:

Child’s Play: My older cousins had me watch this alone in my grandma’s room when I was 4. My aunt used to work for Mattel and she gave a lot of my other aunts and my grandma tons of collector Barbie dolls. When I went home that night I think that was my first (and last) sleepless night of fear, because Chucky is small enough to be anywhere, like sneaking through doorways when it is really just a draft moving a light door. Now that movie is hilarious to me, Chucky is one bad mofo.

Candyman: This was in elementary school, around the same time you hear about bloody mary. For a long time my younger brother wouldn’t close the door all the way when he went to the bathroom, then one day the door got stuck shut and he freaked out.

Event Horizon: Ridiculous scary.

The Exorcist: When I saw the re-release of this in high school my friends and I got crazy high and were late into the theaters so we ended up sitting on the steps. Having people tap you on the shoulder to get by during terrifying moments doesn’t help.

I don’t think there’s any movie that’s actually scared me post child-hood (and what scared me then puts me to sleep today… It was mostly scary because our tv lacked brightness in the picture and I did not really understand what was going on on-screen).

Now making me jump on the other hand… Yeah… That’s literally the one single thing “horror” movies do nowadays. I don’t even think that the horror genre is still alive… It’s all just shockers… Same for most horror games.

Sure there are movies that sort of captivate you and put your nerves on edge… But in the end it’s usually just to make you jump… Rather than scared.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Supernatural never scares me, but real world possibilities are another thing.[/quote]

Outbreak

[quote]postholedigger wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Supernatural never scares me, but real world possibilities are another thing.[/quote]

Outbreak
[/quote]

Being in the medical field for 20 years, you have no idea.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]postholedigger wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Outbreak
[/quote]

Being in the medical field for 20 years, you have no idea.[/quote]

I’ve read a lot of fiction, historical fiction, and non-fiction books on the topic. That movie scared the shit out of me.