Movie That Shoulda' Sucked...

But didn’t.

I like horror movies and action movies…with horror winning by an inch. I watch low budget, indie, foreign or any other version of this genre and the reality is, most just suck.

Winners come along every once in a while like Dawn of The Dead remake, Event Horizon and even Quarantine…but bigger budget movies like that always overshadow the low budget ones that every once in a while drop a golden egg instead of the usual steaming pile of brontosaurus dung.

I just want to know if people have found movies that most probably didn’t see in the horror/action genre that are actually worth the spare time seeing.

These don’t have to be STELLAR movies here…just good enough to keep your attention to the end.

My first entry is Splinter (2008). It is low budget, but the concept actually works.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

I heard about this movie and thought “Wow, what a stupid concept!”

Then I watched it and now it’s one of my favorites and I highly recommend it to everyone, ever.

Once again, low budget but the concept actually works really well.

BUMP!!!

I can’t think of any movies.

Without a doudt a strange odd creapy movie. This movie just made me want to look the other way but I couldn’t

[quote]BodyByGame20 wrote:

Then I watched it and now it’s one of my favorites and I highly recommend it to everyone, ever.

Once again, low budget but the concept actually works really well. [/quote]

This one?

I’ll order it today.

I have no idea what it was about this movie. But My large azz jumped more in this movie than I ever want to admit to. And everything about it should have made it suck.

28 days later and 28 weeks later. I thought they were both very, very good and exciting.

Cool. This should be a great thread. I’ve never seen Splinter, I’ll be sure to check it out.

I don’t know if this counts, and I’m pretty sure everyone has seen it already, but I finally watched Scanners the other night. I’ve never seen it before, and while it wasn’t really all that good, it wasn’t as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. I actually enjoyed it.

Can’t wait to see what everyone puts up here.

Oh and this was on Wikipedia for Splinter:

I guess I wasn’t the only one who liked it.

Rides the line between action and horror. I thought it was going to be horrible, but I actually was pretty entertained during both.

[quote]biggjames wrote:
28 days later and 28 weeks later. I thought they were both very, very good and exciting.[/quote]

Well, 28 Days Later is considered a classic at this point. I doubt anyone questions it much.

Splinter?? I thought I knew the movie but after looking it up I am clueless to it. I have to check it out. I’m a fan of Horror not so much Gore but I love a good try and scare me movie.

[quote]biggjames wrote:
28 days later and 28 weeks later. I thought they were both very, very good and exciting.[/quote]

These were very popular over here in the UK when they came out (especially the first one), I don’t know if they were popular over there in the US but I agree, good movies. It was nice to have some zombies that were out of their minds with rage instead of the traditional type.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Cool. This should be a great thread. I’ve never seen Splinter, I’ll be sure to check it out.

I don’t know if this counts, and I’m pretty sure everyone has seen it already, but I finally watched Scanners the other night. I’ve never seen it before, and while it wasn’t really all that good, it wasn’t as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. I actually enjoyed it.

Can’t wait to see what everyone puts up here.[/quote]

I never saw the original. I was too little when it came out and missed any reruns.

and…uh oh:

[quote]Back at the end of February we brought you news that David Cronenberg’s 1981 sci-fi horror movie Scanners is being remade by Dimension Films and directed by Saw III’s Darren Lynn Bousman.
[/quote]

Oh, and one more shout out for The Descent (2005). This movie was way better than expected once they get under ground.

I liked “The Orphanage” and “High Tension” (both foreign).

edit: not necessarily “should have sucked” but since they were foreign not as many people paid much attention to them.

[quote]PaddyM wrote:

edit: not necessarily “should have sucked” but since they were foreign not as many people paid much attention to them.[/quote]

Agreed. Great taste…especially for The Orphanage. That movie wins even though I think they could have been a little more “hardcore” with that concept.

Oh, and I have learned that foreign movies are better with the original voices and subtitles. English voice overs suck for foreign movies…especially Swedish and German films. The cultures are too different.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]BodyByGame20 wrote:

Once again, low budget but the concept actually works really well. [/quote]

This one?

I’ll order it today.[/quote]

That’s the one. It explains every horror movie ever.

[quote]PaddyM wrote:

edit: not necessarily “should have sucked” but since they were foreign not as many people paid much attention to them.[/quote]

I remember when I rented The Orphanage, the girl behind the counter looked at me and said “You know this is in Spanish, right?” I just nodded. I wondered why this was an issue that had to be brought up. Good movie though, but I didn’t like the ending.

Some great recommendations so far, my netflix que is getting loaded up.

Prof, what was Splinter about? I love horror movies and am trying to think of any hidden gems I’ve seen lately. And, High Tension was one of the top 10 worst movies I’ve ever seen. Nothing about that movie made any sense.