Movements in Bodybuilding

agreed with what JFG and Maiden said

most people at the gym just sequence with their egoes in mind so they do:
-heavy bb bench
-db bench (doesn’t look dorky to them as long as you’re moving 70+lbs)
-fart around on chest machines and cable flyes with weights so low that you know that at this point they couldn’t do a single pushup or dip

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

ever seen lunges as ridiculous as his?[/quote]

solid

[quote]ChrisArm wrote:

[quote]iplan wrote:

[quote]funckygarcon wrote:
the weight used is another story, however it remains the same movement:- you lift your arms then lower them holding the weight, right?[/quote]

Funckgarcon ~ do you train? Take no offense from the question, it’s just that you say you’ve been “reading” up on bodybuilding ~ and that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ve been lifting yourself.

Whether you are training or just reading, try this experiment yourself.
Get on a flat bench. Complete a set of barbell presses. Recover for a few minutes, then try another set on the flat bench with the dumbbells (using the same weight you did for your barbell press).

If it’s your first time with dumbbell presses, you’ll feel like the dumbbells are flying all over the place (nearly out of control). Further, the dumbbell press also gives your shoulders a bit more freedom of movement that many prefer.

Because of the extra work to stabilize. and the additional freedom on your shoulder joint, chances are you would more accurately conclude that they are ‘related’ exercises; not the same exercise.[/quote]

Literally beat me to the punch on this one. I have been training for a little over 4 years now. I also had a naive mindset in my first 2-3 years of “apprenticeship”, so to speak. These questions that Funck are asking are valid, however this is where people get crossed up with underestimating and over thinking. Let the guy fail some, and when he is ready to gain some knowledge and valuable input, he will REALLY be dying for it. I am a firm believer that Bodybuilding is a Fail to Succeed sport. Its those who persevere and learn from the mistakes regardless that prevail.
[/quote]

GREAT post regarding the whole idea of failure.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

-heavy bb bench
-fart around on chest machines and cable flyes with weights so low that you know that at this point they couldn’t do a single pushup or dip[/quote]
HEY! Thats what I do. But its Incline BB Bench then Flat DB bench that I fart around on machines.

nah doesn’t count unless you’re that guy who only does top 1/4 ROM inclines

also doesn’t count if you can do a pushup at any point after the db benches

-heavy bb bench
-fart around on chest machines and cable flyes with weights so low that you know that at this point they couldn’t do a single pushup or dip[/quote]

Egoes is only one part of it.

I know a lot of people don’t like SS, but the damn thing teaches you basics and it is a proven program. most people in the gym don’t have the basics. Join a new gym, don’t tell them your background and ask if you can get a basic program. Machines and dumbells.

if ANYBODY has ever walked into a gym and the trainer showed you a squat, please let me know.

One gym I went to had a powerlifting/oly gym set up. The trainer just walked past it, tells me what it is and says “Very technical and the you can hurt yourself. It is not used often. Over here is the …” With attitude like that, no wonder…

So kids, get on a proven program. Stick with it for 12 weeks minimum. Stop looking around and “judge” other people.

[quote]JFG wrote:
I know a lot of people don’t like SS, but the damn thing teaches you basics and it is a proven program. most people in the gym don’t have the basics. Join a new gym, don’t tell them your background and ask if you can get a basic program. Machines and dumbells.

[/quote]

totally agree with this. People rag on SS all the time, but it’s miles better than 99% of the shit you see noobs doing

-heavy bb bench

well,surely I’m a bit naive/primordial but I do

-incline bb (reverse)
-decline bb (reverse)
no isolation excercises

I do in this way ,not just to focalize on “upper chest”,because I can use less load on incline (less stress on joints)plus front delts work more than tris on incline so -on decline- they are taxed but tris are fresher so I can keep pushing…
don’t do isolation work because I do last set as “finisher” set of 15ish reps to squeeze it out ,am I wrong?

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

[/quote]

totally agree with this. People rag on SS all the time, but it’s miles better than 99% of the shit you see noobs doing[/quote]

this. even for someone with bodybuilding goals its not going to hurt spending your first 3-4 months getting very strong at the basic compound movements. you can even add in a few sets of curls :wink:

[quote]JFG wrote:

-heavy bb bench

if ANYBODY has ever walked into a gym and the trainer showed you a squat, please let me know.

One gym I went to had a powerlifting/oly gym set up. The trainer just walked past it, tells me what it is and says “Very technical and the you can hurt yourself. It is not used often. Over here is the …” With attitude like that, no wonder…

So kids, get on a proven program. Stick with it for 12 weeks minimum. Stop looking around and “judge” other people.

[/quote]

All of my clients are raising their hands. :slight_smile: But yeah, I understand what you are saying as I’m the only trainer in my gym that actually teaches people how to squat correctly. It’s not purely the trainers faults though as most certifying bodies teach atrocious (and biomechanically wrong) squatting form.

SS gets people squatting, deadlifting, benching (not that that’s anything special), overhead pressing (which, might not be the best course of action depending on their current mobility), rowing, and adds in some room for some accessory work (pull-ups, curls, etc…). In that regard it’s good.

But one doesn’t necessarily have to go to as far as SS to the other end of the spectrum (from doing only beach muscle workouts) to effectively build strength in those lifts. Any well designed BB’ing split will have people doing most if not all of those exercises. I don’t know where everyone is getting this idea that BB’ing splits are all curls, leg extensions, and crunches.

Personally, I think newbie BB’ers would be better off following something like Max OT, or WS4SB than SS. But that’s of course just my opinion.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

-heavy bb bench

[/quote]

All of my clients are raising their hands. :slight_smile: But yeah, I understand what you are saying as I’m the only trainer in my gym that actually teaches people how to squat correctly. It’s not purely the trainers faults though as most certifying bodies teach atrocious (and biomechanically wrong) squatting form.

SS gets people squatting, deadlifting, benching (not that that’s anything special), overhead pressing (which, might not be the best course of action depending on their current mobility), rowing, and adds in some room for some accessory work (pull-ups, curls, etc…). In that regard it’s good.

But one doesn’t necessarily have to go to as far as SS to the other end of the spectrum (from doing only beach muscle workouts) to effectively build strength in those lifts. Any well designed BB’ing split will have people doing most if not all of those exercises. I don’t know where everyone is getting this idea that BB’ing splits are all curls, leg extensions, and crunches.

Personally, I think newbie BB’ers would be better off following something like Max OT, or WS4SB than SS. But that’s of course just my opinion.[/quote]

the only benefit i see with starting strength is the frequency of compound lifts.