Move to the States

Alright lads (and ladies) I’m Scottish, 23, a mechanic and always wanted to move to the US or aus, I’ve chosen the US as first selection as I love muscle cars, trucks and hot rods so hoping to work on those or something!

I’m into wakeboarding and surfing and watersport stuff as well so would like things of that nature in the area.

So basically I’m hoping people can suggest their areas as a good option for me to go to with a 1 year working visa if they think I’d like it there? Just as inside info to go with what I can read up on from an outsider point of view.

Thoughts have been california or florida as they’re typically known for the water. But I’m just looking to see where is suggested really. Some friends to hang out with until i meet more people might be nice too… haha

Appreciate any helpful info, cheers!

Steve

Anywhere but Baltimore

Also get use to not using the term washroom. No one has any fucking clue what that word means.

Gulf coast is cheaper cost of living compared to west coast.

Don’t take adivice from Canadians.

I don’t know how it is in the East Coast but if you move to California, there’s a ton of opportunity for watersports if you live along the coast. If you go to the Bay Area, you have the entire coast to surf at in addition to the SF Bay. Pretty awesome to be surfing while surrounded by the San Francisco skyline, the Golden Gate Bridge and the entire East Bay. Southern California is also really great for watersports. However, if you live in California, be prepared to have over half your paycheck go to rent even WITH a roommate. If you’re here just for fun, and okay to live paycheck to paycheck, I think the SF Bay Area is the best.

However, I’ve been to Florida and it is awesome too. Don’t know about costs but I would rank their beaches as much more pleasant than California. Also, Miami is pretty amazing.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Don’t take adivice from Canadians.[/quote]

I thought hudson bay was a big surfer hangout.

I lived in Florida (Atlantic side) for six years and felt like I had a hurricane target on my back. I now understand why so many people board up their places and head back north at the start of hurricane season each year. It’s not really because of the heat. Summer there isn’t much hotter or more humid than anywhere else on the east coast, it just lasts longer. But you do get tired of playing chicken with every Atlantic storm. And, believe me, even a Category 2 is no joke. I can’t imagine what a Cat 4 or 5 like Hurricane Andrew must be like.

California would be the obvious choice for you since they pretty much invented hot rods and playing in the surf, but I understand the cost of living, taxes, and sense of entitlement there are completely out of control. Even Arnold couldn’t fix that state’s problems. Just as an example, they put numerous huge farms permanently out of business simply because a few soy-eating pantywaists got teary-eyed about tiny fish getting caught in irrigation pipes. It’s a place where common sense is regarded as a communicable disease.

Have you considered looking further north on the West Coast? The Oregon coast is really beautiful, but I admit I’m basing that on what I saw in The Goonies.

the pacific northwest would feel alot more like home weather wise.

Having lived in both Florida and California…I would tell you to go with Florida. Great surfing and beaches on both Coasts and you don’t have to get eaten alive for rent. As someone coming to the states for the first time I doubt you want to be giving up half your paycheck for residency. As far as Hurricanes, live in the Orlando area, it’s furthest inland and the highest above sea level. By the time storms would reach us they were still dangerous but not as threatening.

I went to UCF and it’s a great college to hang around. Lots of kids with daddy rich toy cars so don’t feel bad if you get blown by on the regular. lol It’s also the largest college in the nation with the finest women I’ve ever seen. The vibe of central Florida is fantastic. Miami is cool, I’ve been there as well but storms trash that area, and it can be expensive if you hang around the south beach area. Also, lots of street racing in Central Florida…so be careful I know it can be tempting to get caught up in that stuff but don’t. They’ll ship you right back to Scotland. Plus you can experience all the theme parks when you get the time. I think Orlando has more Theme parks in a centralized location than anywhere in the US. Disney World is fun for first timers as is Universal Studios and all it’s branches. They don’t call Orlando the entertainment capital of Florida for nothin.

Orlando was suggested to me by a girl who’s been over there for being great for wakeboarding too. Thats definitely an option.

Weather wise I’m looking for a little more on the sunny/hot side that Scotland, love my country but want a wee change in weather haha

Yeah since hot rodding etc seems to be biggest in cali that’s where I’d mainly been thinking but the rent costs were the concern and you guys are pretty much confirming it’s quite a bit heavier than other areas for living costs

As for ‘anywhere but Baltimore’ I don’t see Baltimore as somewhere I’d like to live but I’ve been a Ravens fan since I first learned about the NFL when I was about ten haha

[quote]RRibber wrote:
I don’t know how it is in the East Coast but if you move to California, there’s a ton of opportunity for watersports if you live along the coast. If you go to the Bay Area, you have the entire coast to surf at in addition to the SF Bay. Pretty awesome to be surfing while surrounded by the San Francisco skyline, the Golden Gate Bridge and the entire East Bay. Southern California is also really great for watersports. However, if you live in California, be prepared to have over half your paycheck go to rent even WITH a roommate. If you’re here just for fun, and okay to live paycheck to paycheck, I think the SF Bay Area is the best.

However, I’ve been to Florida and it is awesome too. Don’t know about costs but I would rank their beaches as much more pleasant than California. Also, Miami is pretty amazing.

[/quote]

Um…everything about the above post is true, with one proviso – please don’t go up to people in the Bay Area and ask them where you can get involved with water sports. It…it can turn out bad, for everyone.

I mean, so I’ve heard…

San Diego

[quote]Subliminal-Steve wrote:
Orlando was suggested to me by a girl who’s been over there for being great for wakeboarding too. Thats definitely an option.

Weather wise I’m looking for a little more on the sunny/hot side that Scotland, love my country but want a wee change in weather haha
[/quote]

Orlando is cool, but is a HUGE tourist trap due to its many theme parks and surrounding areas. There are a lot of foreigners as well, whether that’s a good thing or bad thing.

My vote would be for the Gulf side of Florida - probably Tampa Bay / St Petersburg. It’s nice, it’s relatively safe, both in terms of crime AND being safe from most hurricane activity.

Plus, California is incredibly expensive. Very cool place, but I could not imagine living somewhere so ridiculously costly.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Please don’t encourage more drivers on our roads.

Imagine if all the undocumented were gone.

I am no expert but my 2 cents is in Florida surf is not good allaround. If that counts you might be wise to be selective. Probably surfing forum might be helpfull.
All the best!

There’s no better place to surf in the U.S. when a storm is on it’s way

I remember windsurfing Hugo years ago in Quebec it was allmost too powerfull. Probably the ones who did it down there do not remember . . .

[quote]comus3 wrote:
San Diego[/quote]

As much as I don’t want more crowds here I would agree. I’ve lived in a LOT of different places and none have compared to San Diego for activities and weather. We have two hot weeks a year and that’s about it. It can also be 80 degrees (26 for you metric folk) in December which is never a bad thing.

Rent isn’t as expensive as it’s made out to be but you might need to look around a bit. Check out Craigslist for some ideas.

Florida is great but it’s hot, humid, and rednecky. We have rednecks too but not typically out near the beach (which is where I recommend you live).

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:
San Diego[/quote]

As much as I don’t want more crowds here I would agree. I’ve lived in a LOT of different places and none have compared to San Diego for activities and weather. We have two hot weeks a year and that’s about it. It can also be 80 degrees (26 for you metric folk) in December which is never a bad thing.

Rent isn’t as expensive as it’s made out to be but you might need to look around a bit. Check out Craigslist for some ideas.

Florida is great but it’s hot, humid, and rednecky. We have rednecks too but not typically out near the beach (which is where I recommend you live).

james[/quote]
Yeah you can easily find cheaper places in Cali/San Diego if you look hard enough and don’t need to live right next to the coast. Living a 30 minute drive away from the coast can save you a lot of money in rent and that really isn’t that far at all.

Surfing or Wakeboarding? Places on the Ocean aren’t the best place for wakeboard/skiing, etc., and wakeboarding requires money and a boat, or generous friends with money and a boat. If surfing is your priority, I’d agree with San Diego, but there’s no where to wakeboard other than the cesspool they call Mission Bay.

On the other hand, wakeboarding, muscle cars, and trucks screams Dallas or Austin, Texas. You might be able to find work as a mechanic, but if not, a scottish accent would qualify you to tend bar at any number of Irish pubs (don’t worry, Scottish, Irish, nobody in Texas knows the difference) and this would allow you to meet people who like to drink, own boats, and give you a tow at or near one of the many party coves,

See, e.g.:

http://www.sixpercent.org/home/party_cove.htm

And

[quote]CargoCapable wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Please don’t encourage more drivers on our roads.

Imagine if all the undocumented were gone.[/quote]
lol