Move to Australia

I feel so Un-Australian right now, what the fuck are you guys talking about… I’m just going to stick to AFL

Nooooo! I thought you were cool man! Haha I’ve tried to get into afl but being a qlder we just don’t get into much. I lived in Perth for awhile and they love it. I felt like such an outsider at times!

Klem is a beast, he’s having a great world cup.

1 Like

Haha this is how I feel in Canberra.

Here how’s this through highschool I played soccer, does that make me cool? Lol

Yeah why not! Haha I like playing soccer, bit boring to watch it unless Chelsea are playing though :smile:

1 Like

Lol i think soccer is boring as fuck. Watching people run around a field just to hit like 1 goal and 3 if there lucky. Soo boring

When I was young and playing soccer, I used to get so annoyed when people would tell me the think soccer is boring. I didn’t get to watch many games. Now I’m older and I have watched quite a lot of soccer games, I can definitely agree that most of the time it’s boring as hell to watch!

1 Like

Haha that’s why I enjoy it mate, a single goal feels like such an accomplishment

I normally tune in just before world cup time.

1 Like

Well this thread took a surprising turn. I doubt I will be cooking any platypus with koala jizz though. Just doesn’t jive well with my palate. A bit too rich.

I am not too worried about things that can kill me though. I will be in NSW about an hour south of Sydney. I hear all the dangerous stuff is up north in Darwin. Correct me if I am wrong.

bigjez whats this about lockout laws. Bars and restaurants close at 1130? You can’t be serious? Is that All of Australia? Bit of a nanny state. No guns no booze after 1130. Who the hell would want to live there. At least prostitution is legal/semi legal.

Don’t be scared, but be aware

I do enjoy watching the World Cup. And while I obviously go for Aust I love to watch Belgium, France and Germany play.

You mean teams that are not shite?

1 Like

Nanny state… probably

Also probably too many kids were punching each other in the head, falling over and cracking their skulls open on the streets. Is no fun anymore wandering the cbd at night after a gym sesh

1 Like

Is it true that there are streets with rubber lining over the concrete now? Like a playground.

No cars either. They are bumper cars with extra thick extra soft bumpers that go max 15km/h or like 10mph

1 Like

Interesting, So there literally is no night scene after 11:30? Or just no booze serving? I find that so surprising that business would not fight against that and that the gov would be so for it. Businesses losing millions of dollars in revenue and gov losing millions in taxes that would result from the business.

Are Australians a rowdier bunch of people? I wonder is easier to get into a fist fight with an American or an Australian. Obviously depends on what part of the community you mess with.

1 Like

You need bumper cars what with the fucking roo’s hopping into the road

1 Like

Was kidding actually. Laws are state specific probably. In Melbourne the lockout laws they have in Sydney have been opposed as hard as gun control in the US. The trial run they did didn’t do very well

They pretty much made do with no alcohol in public in the CBD and some other areas, increased police presence at high risk times and apparently picking the least “chillaxed” officers possible. Other stuff has been proposed but that’s the bulk of it.

So pretty much as long as you keep the party off the streets you’ll be alright. Therefore it stands to reason Melbourne > Sydney lol

Wouldn’t say Australians as a group are rowdier but there’s a drinking culture here as strong as anywhere else in the world. Probably likelier to get in a fistfight than a gunfight in these parts

@oglebee
Oh you’re moving to Wollongong?
Beautiful place down that way, My uncle who lives down there owns the apartment complex opposite the UNI down there. Plenty of students rent in there.
Yeah by far NSW is the strictest of states in Australia. You cannot enter any premises after the lock out time (11.30 I think?)
Yep it’s fucked, but as @guineapig stated, we had too many people killed by one punch attacks that they had to make it like this.
Sydney has had on last check, 86 bars/clubs close down in the eastern suburbs ALONE.
Not including inner west, south, and the rest of the state. Kings cross used to be the place to be on any given night of the week. Nightclubs, bars, strip joints, EVERYTHING and it has ruined it. But the gov don’t care because it has reduced the one punch killings.

I wouldn’t say you’ll come across many people who want to fight, but it’s like anything you have to be aware of the area and situation.
Like duh if you’re walking the streets at 1am and you can see a group of blokes walking together, you would want to steer clear. But don’t feel unsafe for 99% of the time. We are a great bunch of people who embrace our culture which is hard work, mateship and multiculturalism. Say g’day to passer Byers, don’t forget to buy a round when you’re at the pub with friends and never turn down a cold one, or a sausage sanga and you’ll be sweet

1 Like

And I will correct you about the wildlife.
Partially, yes their are more creatures that can kill you up north… HOWEVER Australia wide some animals to keep an eye out for.
The most common snakes you’ll see can turn up anywhere.
Ffs I was in Sydney recently working in an appartment construction site and an eastern brown snake was in the porta-loo. In the fucking city.
They can be anywhere. In case you didn’t realise, the eastern brown is the most deadly snake on earth.
Get hit and you’ll be dead within 20 minutes.
As mentioned above the funnel web spider, it is a wise habit to get into that smack and shake your shoes out before you slip them on. Funnel webs and red backs (like your black widow spiders) love to nest and live in shoes.

Shark sightings and attacks are pretty regular in Australia.
If you hear a loud alarm swimming, get the fuck out asap. Only 2 weeks ago my local beach had to shut down after a 6 metre great white decided to have a nibble on a Canadian surfer 2kms from my house.

Always swim between the red and yellow flags at the beach because our ocean rips (the great Australia current if your familiar with finding nemo) are absolutely mental. I have personally lost 2 really good friends who were great swimmers to drowning in beaches so please don’t be the generic overseas traveller who dies on our beaches. It happens ALOT.

Beware of magpies (bird) during spring. 75% of the time they are chilled but come spring when they mate, they will swoop and take solid chunks of your skull if they connect.
Fuck plovers, they are a cunt of a bird (you’ll get what I mean eventually)

Most of all, don’t be a rude fuck on the road. If you cut in front of someone, give them a wave. Because more dangerous than any animal is the pissed off aussie with road rage.

1 Like