Move This - Kiss *This* Goodbye Log

[quote]MoveThis wrote:
Giterdone, you’re right about the diet stuff. I really do need to get my diet sorted out. I’ve read TOO much friggin information and I’m overloaded. Eat this, don’t eat that. Every meal has to have a protien + a carb; DON’T eat proteins and starches together. Eat before 6:00. Eat every three hours. Eat 6 times a day. Eat 3 times a day. AIYEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Like, do I really need to freaking eat 6 times a day? I mean, can’t I just drink a shake here and there throughout the day and then eat a huge-ass-mo-fo dinner? I only ask that because I am virtually NOT hungry all day. I eat anyway because it’s breakfast time or lunch time or whatever, but for whatever reason, no matter what I eat, I start getting hungry around 4:00 or 5:00 in the afternoon. Could I feasibly save all of my calories / macros up for that meal and just chow down?

On a “good” day I:
Wake up.
Drink a glass of water.
Drink a glass of juiced kale, celery, lettuce and lemon.
Eat a breakfast that usually consists of one of these things: a shake, some fruit + a protien, a yogurt.
Eat lunch that consists of a protien + a veg or a protien + a carb.
Workout
Eat dinner that consists of protien, veg and starch.
Shower.
Go to sleep.

But sometimes, I wake up, don’t make my juice, don’t eat breakfast, eat a Greek Salad for lunch and then eat dinner.

I’ll get it sorted out, I know. I don’t meant to whine. I’m looking into the New Rules book suggested above and might try that to see if that works for me. I wish someone would just make, like, food cubes, for days when I don’t feel like eating!

“SuperBody presents the optimum in cutting edge nutrition with FOOOOD CUUUUUBES!”[/quote]

Food is kind of like training. If it is too friggin complicated it won’t get done. Don’t get overwhelmed by the minutia.

People will argue over the details, but your good day looked pretty good. Just watch the sugar (like those little yogourts) and starches.

On a “bad” day as long as you are not loading up late at night because you are starving, it is not a disaster. I would recommend getting something in the morning even if it is just a protein shake with some olive oil or a couple of hard-boiled eggs. That would be the “break fast” part. And the closer you can get the big-ass meal to the start of the day, the better.

The easiest place to start when losing weight is portion control (eat the same but less), then modify what you eat (take out the crap), then you get into nutrient timing (when you eat) and other stuff.

I think you should be training 5-6 times a week. Not balls-to-the-wall (I don’t even know what that phrase means) every session but consistently training.

The “New Rules” book is good. I bought it last year for my Mom (she just turned 70) and she has been rockin’ it. I’m so proud :slight_smile:

RE Diet… man I have been pretty much dieting for three years. I finally got to the point of hiring a coach just too damn sick of trying to figure it all out. My ONLY real advice in tha area is to make sure you get enough protein. I will guess that by the menu you posted you aren’t getting nearly enough. If you are training you need AT LEAST 1g per pound of body weight (total body weight) on each training day. Can’t remember what you say you weight but I doubt you’re anywhere close to 100g of protein on the menu you posted. And yes a whey protein shake once or twice a day is a great way to get it in.

Eat three square reasonably sized meals a day and a few small snacks–protein shakes and a handful of nuts are good for snacks. Breakfast is the most important meal–eggs with yolks are good. Force yourself to eat a good breakfast if necessary. Eat more protein than you eat now and eat less carbs. Don’t eat any processed sugar and try and eat less grains. Don’t drink any calories and cut out all sodas, including diet soda. Drink lots more water. Eat more green, leafy vegetables, but be careful with condiments. Try not to eat too much fast food and shop mostly in the perimeter of the supermarket. Don’t panic if you cheat–just don’t use it as an excuse to do it again. if you want to take supplements, fish oil and a multi vitamin are really all you need. Work out hard for an hour 5 times a week.

That’s really all you need to do until you get down to where you need to go to more extreme measures to get really lean. It really isn’t that complicated so don’t let all the BS out there get you overwhelmed.

My ‘go to’ breakfast is steel cut oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon and protein powder. I put it on to cook while I’m doing my hair and makeup and it’s all ready to go after I’m done. It’s easy to chew and feels warm and filling. I love breakfast though.

Make your own lunch for work. It doesn’t have to be complicated. I like ham sandwiches and bananas. I also take food that I eat throughout the day. Again, it’s mostly fresh fruit and vegetables. If you’re lazy like me, they’re easy to prepare. You just throw it in a bag. You’d be surprised what a difference it makes in your weight and wallet if you don’t eat out. I have no idea if you do, but a lot of people do.

I wouldn’t over complicate your diet. Making things too complicated gives any new program a very short half life.

my usual day

breakfast: quick cook oates, choco protein powder, frozen berries thawed in the oatmeal

lunch: spinach salad with 2-3 hard boiled eggs

snack: shake and nuts

supper: chicken breast, sweat potatoe and veg

buy items with little or no ingredients and find some recipes you can do with your eyes closed. I know a dozen ways to cook chicken breast.
3 meals 1-2 snacks, protein at every meal is a good basic.

okay so I also do protein + oatmeal in the morning… which I think means PROATMEAL is a go.

I think I put more stuff in my morning oatmeal than anybody: oats, protein powder, cinnamon, milk, frozen blueberries (thawed in the oatmeal), a whole banana cut up and a small amount of slivered almonds for crunch.

This gets me through to lunch.

Wow, that oatmeal sounds delicious. And oatmeal isn’t even at the top of my Fave Eats list.

Sorry I can’t contribute more to the thread, I eat frozen yogurt nearly everyday. I’m in no position to talk about nutrition :wink:

WOW! Again, I can’t thank you all enough for the information you’re sharing. I’m headed to the store tonight after my workout. I haven’t been this motivated in a very long time. Thanks for keeping it simple for me, too. I might start posting what I eat in addition to my workouts, just in case.

I was pretty excited at Monday’s Db shoulder presses. I was so stoked to be using 30lb db’s for the first two sets. I know that’s not really heavy for most of y’all reading this, but it was a huge personal triumph for me. I was thrilled.

Now, outta this office chair and out to the gym!

I’ve not been consistently training for very long(3 months) so I’m still trying to get the hang of everything myself. One of my little pro tips is to carry a big water bottle. I don’t like the gallon jugs, but I have a nice 32oz bottle that I try to drain at least four times a day. I also love aminos while I’m working out because it makes me feel great and I got some that taste good so it’s really easy to drink that 32oz and the bottle that follows gets a little residual flavor so I don’t feel like my water is so boring. I know I had trouble staying on diets because I got bored, but if you switch up your proteins occasionally(preferable throughout the week) it’s a lot easier. Turkey and chicken do taste different especially if all you’ve eaten for a while is chicken and rice. ^-^

Great job with the 30s, any improvement is something to be proud of. It’s only going to get better as you get stronger. Before you know it people will be giving you the disbelieving look of “She’s lifting that?!” Just keep it up girl!

Odyssey, I think this is great concept to carry a bottle with you and drink it four times in a days.

Doesn’t everyone do this? I always have a bottle with me (unless I’m just walking to the local shops). Being in London, where the tube gets stupidly hot, London Underground actually advise people to carry water with them because fainting is pretty common.

Cal: at least the subway in the new world has air :wink: