T Nation

Move Over Bonds and Vick...

… and Sheffield and Beckham and whoever the fuck is “Now”.

Herrrre’s Tim Donaghy

This would be huge news if anyone cared about the NBA.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
This would be huge news if anyone cared about the NBA…[/quote]

or if an athlete were the one under investigation, at the very least.

I couldn’t care less about the NBA either.

What I do find interesting is that in a sport that is so harsh on people criticizing their refs, this kind of shit can happen.

Kind of puts the onus on Stern, IMO.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
This would be huge news if anyone cared about the NBA…

or if an athlete were the one under investigation, at the very least.[/quote]

You’re probably right, but in reality, it’s a bigger deal for the refs to be rigging games. They have a lot more power to alter the outcome than the players do.

This is the type of development that could kill the NBA if Tim Donaghy is merely the tip of the iceberg. If it’s discovered that a handful of refs have been rigging games, it very well could be lights out for a league that already struggles with accusations of conspiracy theories and rumors of the league fixing games.

Most likely that it’s just one rogue ref who’s altering point spreads rather than actual game outcomes, but that’s bad enough.

‘Most likely that it’s just one rogue ref who’s altering point spreads rather than actual game outcomes, but that’s bad enough.’

I have no idea, but I read this on yahoo – “The New York Daily News, citing unidentified law enforcement sources, reported Sunday that Donaghy will cooperate with authorities and possibly name other officials and players involved in the betting scandal.”

If he starts naming players involved, this is going to get really bad.