T Nation

Move On.Org Owns Democratic Party

It just doesn’t get any better then this! Dean as the Chairman. We couldn’t hope for anything better in 2008 !!!

MoveOn to Democratic Party: ‘We Own It’

Thu Dec 9, 6:37 PM ET

By SAM HANANEL, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Liberal powerhouse MoveOn has a message for the “professional election losers” who run the Democratic Party: “We bought it, we own it, we’re going to take it back.”

A scathing e-mail from the head of MoveOn’s political action committee to the group’s supporters on Thursday targets outgoing Democratic National Committee (news - web sites) chairman Terry McAuliffe as a tool of corporate donors who alienated both traditional and progressive Democrats.

“For years, the party has been led by elite Washington insiders who are closer to corporate lobbyists than they are to the Democratic base,” said the e-mail from MoveOn PAC’s Eli Pariser. “But we can’t afford four more years of leadership by a consulting class of professional election losers.”

Under McAuliffe’s leadership, the message said, the party coddled the same corporate donors that fund Republicans to bring in money at the expense of vision and integrity.

“In the last year, grass-roots contributors like us gave more than $300 million to the Kerry campaign and the DNC, and proved that the party doesn’t need corporate cash to be competitive,” the message continued. “Now it’s our party: we bought it, we own it, and we’re going to take it back.”

Pariser urged MoveOn supporters to help support a DNC chair with a bold vision to represent Democrats outside Washington. Democrats will vote at their February meeting in Washington on a successor to McAuliffe.

DNC spokesman Jano Cabrera declined to engage in a tit-for-tat with MoveOn, but praised McAuliffe’s efforts.

“Call me crazy, but I think the fact that for the first time in party history we outraised the Republicans, and did so primarily through grass-roots fund raising is something to be proud of,” Cabrera said.

Among those vying for the party chairmanship is former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean (news - web sites), an early darling of MoveOn’s cybernetwork of activists when he ran for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Well, when they say McCauliffe sucks, it’s hard to argue with them even if they have screwy reasoning…

I like the way they claim grass-roots contibutors raised money and refuse to acknowlege that nutcase George Soros’ million plus contributions.

[quote]CDM wrote:
I like the way they claim grass-roots contibutors raised money and refuse to acknowlege that nutcase George Soros’ million plus contributions.[/quote]

I agree. It’s weird they make that claim without providing data to back it up. Here’s the data:

Don’t know why that data wasn’t referenced to back up that claim.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:
CDM wrote:
I like the way they claim grass-roots contibutors raised money and refuse to acknowlege that nutcase George Soros’ million plus contributions.

I agree. It’s weird they make that claim without providing data to back it up. Here’s the data:

In 2000, the DNC only raised $35 million in small donations. Most of its resources – over $150 million – came in large donations.

In 2004, there was a remarkable turnaround. This year, the vast majority of its funding – over $248 million – came from average Americans donating what they could, while large donations actually went down to just $105 million.

In the past four years, the DNC expanded its small donor base seven fold, from 400,000 in 2000 to 2.7 million in 2004

Don’t know why that data wasn’t referenced to back up that claim.

Probably because Moveon is a different organization than the DNC. Here is what they should of used:

The America Votes registration drive has been the beneficiary of millions of Soros dollars, and records show two coalition members, MoveOn.org and ACT, have accounted for nearly $15 million alone in cash contributions from Mr. Soros and his business partner, Peter Lewis.
Both MoveOn.org and ACT are 527 tax-exempt organizations, allowed to take part in political campaigns and register voters.
MoveOn.org, which claims 2.3 million members, received significant financial help from Mr. Soros and Mr. Lewis, who pledged a $5 million matching grant last November ? a dollar for every two raised by MoveOn.org members ? to put together a $15 million war chest to defeat Mr. Bush.

[quote]CDM wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
CDM wrote:

Probably because Moveon is a different organization than the DNC.[/quote]

I see your point; this article is about MoveOn mobilizing grassroots contributers to donate to the DNC:

[quote]
In the last year, grass-roots contributors like us gave more than $300 million to the Kerry campaign and the DNC[/quote]

Now, I don’t know how big MoveOn.org’s contribution to that $250 million small-donation figure is. You article seems to imply that it was only around $10 million, which seems low.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:

Now, I don’t know how big MoveOn.org’s contribution to that $250 million small-donation figure is. You article seems to imply that it was only around $10 million, which seems low.[/quote]

My fault for not clarifying, my actual point was that when I think of a grassroots contributer, it is someone giving 20, 50, even 100 bucks toward the cause. Soros and his partner gave alot more than that so I would not think of him as a grassroots contributor. And actually, even though I don’t agree with his politics, I think what he did deserves some recognition. Instead of just bitching and complaining about President Bush he actually put his money toward the effort.

Michael Moore seems to think the left-wing activists own the party:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?id=174

EXCERPT:

What?s worse is to watch the pathetic sight of the DLC (the conservative, pro-corporate group of Democrats) apologizing for being Democrats and promising to ?purge? the party of the likes of, well, all of US! Their comments are so hilarious and really not even worth recognizing but the media is paying so much attention to them, I thought it might be worth doing a little reality check.

The most people the DLC is able to get out to an event of theirs is about 200 at their annual dinner (where you have to pay thousands of dollars to get in).

Contrast this with the following:

*Total members of Move On: More than 2,000,000
*Total Attendance at Vote for Change Concerts: An estimated 280,000
*Total Union Members in U.S.: Around 16,000,000
*Total Number of People Who Have Seen ?Fahrenheit 9/11?: Over 50 million
*Total number of you reading this: Perhaps 10 million or more

Of course, as blogger Tim Blair pointed out ( http://timblair.net/comments.php?id=18_0_1_0_C ) George Bush’s final vote count was 60,645,844 ( http://news.yahoo.com/electionresults ), so perhaps the DLC has a point – and economic theory would also posit that the fight in a two-party system is for the voters in the middle… Then again, given my political preferences, I hope they listen to Michael Moore…