Mouthguard while Lifting?

Just wondering if anyone else lifts while wearing a mouthguard when lifting, especially when trying PRs; in my past few visits to the dentist he noted I had some wear on my front teeth from clenching & gritting - I attributed it to my gym time & he advised wearing a mouthguard if only to prevent the wear from getting worse.

Anyone else here do the same? I’ve only ever seen one guy use it when lifting & he mentioned it was for the same reason. Gets in the way of breathing patterns & man do I salivate lol but if it saves my chompers… (& just in case anyone is wondering, no, unfortunately I am asking only for lifting, not MMA - I wish)

I know this might sound a little odd but if I dig deep I take a piece of a towel, wad it up and place it back near my molars. I bite down hard and it does not interfere with my breathing. I do not do it often but if I am doing a real gut buster it helps.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else lifts while wearing a mouthguard when lifting, especially when trying PRs; in my past few visits to the dentist he noted I had some wear on my front teeth from clenching & gritting - I attributed it to my gym time & he advised wearing a mouthguard if only to prevent the wear from getting worse.

Anyone else here do the same? I’ve only ever seen one guy use it when lifting & he mentioned it was for the same reason. Gets in the way of breathing patterns & man do I salivate lol but if it saves my chompers… (& just in case anyone is wondering, no, unfortunately I am asking only for lifting, not MMA - I wish)[/quote]

I started a thread about this quite some time ago… You might be able to find it via serch. Ryan Kennelly wears one, so do quite a few lifters actually. I never did end up getting one, but it’s something I keep meaning to do…

A couple of our lifters wear one, find the thinest and smallest one you can.

I use it when doing yoke walks in strongman. When I was at Westside I remember seeing one of their guys using one during DE squats

Yes, I use one and recommend them to my dental patients.

I have several times hit myself while pulling the bar up while doing a snatch or push press. Fuckn hurts!!! And I’'ve seen too many patients need root canals years after trauma to your teeth.

Maybe because I work on teeth all day, or maybe because I see how trauma from sports is inevitable!

Wear a mouthgaurd