T Nation

Mountain Dog Lift Rotation

Just starting week 2 of mountain dog. My split is:
Mon: Chest/Shoulder
Wed: Back
Thurs: Legs
Fri: Arms

see my previous thread for personal details but in a nutshell I’ve been lifting ~8 years, with the last 4 primarily westside conjugate method, and a little progressive overload in there.

My goal is now 100% hypertrophy… i’m done with caring about #s and athleticism for the time being.

My question to MD guys…how often do you guys change up the exercises? I’ve never truly done a high volume program before.

After reading the articles, some of John’s workouts seem very precisely crafted… do people change rotate every week? Previously under ME/DE conjugates I religiously rotated every 3 or 4 weeks… Under MD can this ~3 weeks then rotate methodology still apply? Or would it be better to have 3 sets of exercises rotated every week for a total of 9 weeks?

I’m trying to pyramid up/down the volume as per his articles, just having a tough time drawing up the exercise rotation.

Thanks!

Pretty sure every work out is different. Different exercise’s, rep ranges, numbers of sets, intensity levels etc.

What ESX said. Changes every week

Usually an increased in number of sets/exercises around week 4-5

there is no set excersize rotation—probably the best thing you can do to learn more about his traiing philosphies is pay 10 dollars to subscribe to his website—tons of info and workouts in there, also you could just ask john himself—he is great for answering questions

JM is awesome

what does it cost to get him to do your programming?

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
what does it cost to get him to do your programming? [/quote]

500 for 12 weeks

1200 for a year

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
there is no set excersize rotation—probably the best thing you can do to learn more about his traiing philosphies is pay 10 dollars to subscribe to his website—tons of info and workouts in there, also you could just ask john himself—he is great for answering questions[/quote]

thanks, I had no idea he had this… does he outline every complete workout for his 12 week mountain dog cycle on his website? Seems like you have to sign up for 6 months or more and wasn’t sure what exactly you’d get in it…

I was already pyramiding up the volume…

thanks for the tip!

[quote]SaintsTheMetal wrote:

there is no set excersize rotation—probably the best thing you can do to learn more about his traiing philosphies is pay 10 dollars to subscribe to his website—tons of info and workouts in there, also you could just ask john himself—he is great for answering questions[/quote]

thanks, I had no idea he had this… does he outline every complete workout for his 12 week mountain dog cycle on his website? Seems like you have to sign up for 6 months or more and wasn’t sure what exactly you’d get in it…

I was already pyramiding up the volume…

thanks for the tip![/quote]
not really, but there are about 20 plus workouts on there which can help you understand his philosphies better—i literally read the website everyday at work lol.

basically you just need to pyramid the volume up and down as the three phases ditctate–its up to your own creativity for lift rotations

–its up to your own creativity for lift rotations

[/quote]

There is a bit more to.it than that and a reson for exercise choices/order

Think i might have to take the plunge and invest in JM when i have some spare income in the Autumn. Always prefered to do my own thing but have some little arms that refuse to do some growing. Worth a shot i guess!

500 bucks for 12 weeks of programming is pretty good. After 12 weeks you can just rotate routines. Mix and match, etc. His stuff is no joke. Ive used the program he has on here. I just hate lifting big lifts at the end.

look at Matt Kroc and Shelby Starnes’ logs over at elitefts both have their workouts from him all laid out

[quote]zraw wrote:

–its up to your own creativity for lift rotations

[/quote]

There is a bit more to.it than that and a reson for exercise choices/order[/quote]
ok yeah zraw is right—there is more to it

for example- almost every leg workout starts with a leg curl variation,almost every chest workout starts out with machine or db presses—however as far as i know the exact lift variations (ie saftety bar squat vs regular squat…or say incline db presses instead of decline presses) is up to you. correct me if im wrong here

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
look at Matt Kroc and Shelby Starnes’ logs over at elitefts both have their workouts from him all laid out[/quote]

thanks for that!