Motorhomes, RVs, Caravans and Vehicle Camping

[quote]CLUNK wrote:
From storage unit, to RV.

I’m sensing a theme, but can’t put my finger on it.

[/quote]

Yes, it is related in a way actually. I don’t want to go into my whole life story, but my mother passed away a little while ago and we’ve just finished dealing with her estate and I’ve inherited some funds and assets. I tend to favour property for investment so I’m looking to purchase an investment property. I’m also looking to buy a new property for myself and I’m strongly considering getting a motorhome as well as I like to spend a few months each year on the road. So, investment property + new home + motorhome. Pretty big decisions to make.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Toyotas run forever. Fords, not so much.

[/quote]

Tell that to the millions of Ford diesel pickup owners like me that are still driving Powerstroke driven rigs in the 300,000 - 600,000 miles range and beyond on the original engine and most of the original parts.

Toyota makes fine automobiles, no doubt, but it makes no sense to diss on Ford pickups; they’re #1 and have been for decades for a reason.
[/quote]

Fords certainly have made reliable vehicles for a long time. In Australia the most highly regarded family sedans and utility vehicles have always been Ford and Holden. There’s a long running rivalry between the two and since the 60’s they’ve been competing with each other on the track and in production. Personally, I’ve always been a Holden man. I just prefer Commodores to Falcons to drive. But they’re both solid vehicles.

I wonder if Fords are as good they used to be though. From what I’ve read and experienced, the Japanese overtook American car manufacturers in build quality from the late 70’s onwards. The Japanese economic crisis coincided with some quality and manufacturing issues in Japanese industry so Japanese cars today are often not of the same build quality as they were in the early 90’s.

The Toyota Hilux is a very reliable and sound vehicle of course. One of the reasons is the model has been around so long they’ve been able to work out the bugs over the years with each new line. If I had to choose a vehicle for reliability and longevity I’d probably come down in favour of a Toyota over a Ford.

I had a nice Mitsubishi Magna Sports for a number of years. It was a '97 model I think. I was very impressed with its reliability. I clocked up over 250,000 kms without ever having any issues whatsoever. And the engine ran perfectly and remained in top condition. It also had a nice power band tuning that gives you a burst of power at around 3800 rpms. My only complaint was the small turning circle.

So I often favour Japanese vehicles. They’ve traditionally been very good value for money here for people who want high performance at a good price. The Nissan Skyline for a number of years was the goto option for a relatively cheap high performance sedan. And before that the Datsuns(Datsun is owned by Nissan). The Mazda MX 5 has been kind of a poor man’s Porsche 911. My friend had one and I drove it a lot. Great little car.

I mentioned in another thread that the Ford Mustang is being released in Australia at the end of the year and apparently they’ll be offering a 450 hp model for under $70,000 - possibly considerably less. That’s actually extremely cheap for a car like that in Australia. There has never been a vehicle with that kind of power and performance for that price in Australia before. I’d really like to get a car like that. It’s tempting. Very.

I know they’re outclassed now but the British Land Rover is a very reliable vehicle. They’re very popular in the South Africa and Western Australia/Northern Territory. You still see a lot of Land Rovers in Eastern Australia but people tend to have utility vehicles and “city” 4WDs.

A few articles at the bottom of the page about some of the current Land Rover range:

I remember the National Parks and Wildlife Ranger Matt Hammond drove a Land Rover in Skippy The Bush Kangaroo and The Bush Tucker Man Les Hiddins drove the same one for over ten years. They’re a classic vehicle and very suited to the harsh Australian outback. A friend of mine spent many years working the mines in Western Australia and he drove one and favoured them for long distance travel in the desert above any other vehicle.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[/quote]

Tell that to the millions of Ford diesel pickup owners like me that are still driving Powerstroke driven rigs in the 300,000 - 600,000 miles range and beyond on the original engine and most of the original parts.

Toyota makes fine automobiles, no doubt, but it makes no sense to diss on Ford pickups; they’re #1 and have been for decades for a reason.
[/quote]

Oh, I know, Push. I used to drive an '86 F350 diesel flatbed. Had the old International engine with mechanical fuel pump, which is not only practically indestructible, but also virtually invulnerable to EMP attack. Thing was a frigging tank, with the turning radius of the Titanic.

I sold it and bought a Toyota 4Runner.

Motor homes area lot of upkeep and they lose their value rapidly.

For low budget travel, a truck with a camper shell and sleeping platform works well.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
Motor homes area lot of upkeep and they lose their value rapidly.

For low budget travel, a truck with a camper shell and sleeping platform works well.[/quote]

Looks like a coffin. I’ve already got a good ute swag for travel but I was thinking of a motorhome as well as a sort of mobile holiday home/command center. Besides, I hate using public toilets and digging a hole and squatting over it then filling it in is a part of the camping experience I’d just as soon skip. It’s also a drag having to build a fire every time you want to cook properly.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep. I’ve only ever driven Fords… cars, trucks, until a more recent Toyota truck purchase.

Ford’s always been tough and reliable, although the body goes to shit in the NE USA.

I once saw a bumper sticker on a really old Ford pickup. The slogan rings true, though funny:

“On A Quiet Night, You Can Hear a Ford Rust”

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

No matter what you drive, its the other guy’s brands that dont last…

Toyota is in the middle of a class action lawsuit because the Tacoma frames rust out. A friend of mine had very expensive rust repairs on his vehicle that was less than 5 years old. Toyota has told owners to go pound sand.

Different vehicle.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Or older guys may have driven both if not many brands and then decided which one is best.

Remember Push, Clunk and others of us are OLD. They have probably had more cars then you have had girlfriends. :slight_smile:

[quote]Will207 wrote:
Toyota is in the middle of a class action lawsuit because the Tacoma frames rust out. A friend of mine had very expensive rust repairs on his vehicle that was less than 5 years old. Toyota has told owners to go pound sand.

[/quote]

Articulating frame?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Or older guys may have driven both if not many brands and then decided which one is best.

Remember Push, Clunk and others of us are OLD. They have probably had more cars then you have had girlfriends. :slight_smile: [/quote]

And Push has had more girlfriends than everyone on this thread put together has had cars.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Remember Push, Clunk and others of us are OLD. They have probably had more cars then you have had girlfriends. :slight_smile: [/quote]

And Push has had more girlfriends than everyone on this thread put together has had cars.[/quote]
Well of course that goes without saying.

I suck, I went with BMW a few years ago and now that’s pretty much all I own.

Say what you will but those fucking Germans can make a machine.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Say what you will but those fucking Germans can make a machine. [/quote]

Arnold

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Arnold
[/quote]

Er ist aus Osterreich.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Arnold
[/quote]

Er ist aus Osterreich.
[/quote]

The Austrians are brilliant people. They made the world believe that Hitler was a German and Beethoven an Austrian.

Fun Fact: Arnold’s middle name is Alois, which is Hitler’s father’s first name.

Not implying anything sinister (Arnold’s father was a Nazi…but whose father wasn’t, back then?), just thought that was interesting.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Arnold
[/quote]

Er ist aus Osterreich.
[/quote]

Yes, I am aware. Same blood lines, same stock, regardless of borders, politics, social structure, etc.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What?

I drive Fords too, i currently own a 2014 F150… wasnt disagreeing with Push in anyway.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Arnold
[/quote]

Er ist aus Osterreich.
[/quote]

Yes, I am aware. Same blood lines, same stock, regardless of borders, politics, social structure, etc.
[/quote]

That is not quite true.

Yes, the remains of Austria were called German-Austria, but Vienna which is a huuuuge capital for a rather small country is basically a melting pot of the old empire.