T Nation

Motorcycle Recommendations

hey fellas, im starting to look into different motorcycles because i plan on getting one soon. ive always loved hogs, not so much crotch rockets, just never read alot into all the specs of them. any recommendations on a fuckin mean looking and sounding bike? all ive looked at so far are Hondas and Harleys of course.

I am personally a european sport bike fan (Ducati, Benelli, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, etc), but a die hard honda rider as well. As for cruiser/hogs, I’d for sure check out Victory. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them, better ride than a Harly without the price tag. If you’re not worried about riding a non-american cruiser/hog, I also hear good things about Honda Shadows (honda reliability and look good too).

As long as you learn how to ride, get whatever you want. A motorcycle isn’t a necessity, so any reason other than ‘it fits my skill level’ and ‘I like it’ is bogus.

I need to get a new battery and get my bike back out on the road. Riding is an absolute blast.

There are a ton of good “standard” bikes out there. Sporty yet with a comfortable riding position or you can look at cruisers.

There are also plenty of good cruisers out there. Harley is top notch for what it is. The prices are not as out of line as they used to be. Some very good Japanese bikes too. I have never ridden a Victory but they look very nice too. Triumph also makes some nice middle size cruisers as well as the incredible (but kind of ugly) Rocket III.

How big are you, how much riding experience?

honestly all ive driven so far are some yamaha crotch rockets and many different dirt bikes, so a hog would be something new for me. i kind of want to head to honda to test drive one :smiley:

[quote]skimmy_jimmy wrote:
hey fellas, im starting to look into different motorcycles because i plan on getting one soon. ive always loved hogs, not so much crotch rockets, just never read alot into all the specs of them. any recommendations on a fuckin mean looking and sounding bike? all ive looked at so far are Hondas and Harleys of course.[/quote]

Get a used Yamaha RoadStar. Big assed bike, looks great and sounds awesome. 1600cc (bigger than a Harley). You can pick one up for less than $7000 and they are indestructable. Insurance is cheap as well. Harley insurance can run 3-4 times as much as other bikes.

[quote]skimmy_jimmy wrote:
honestly all ive driven so far are some yamaha crotch rockets and many different dirt bikes, so a hog would be something new for me. i kind of want to head to honda to test drive one :D[/quote]

Get as many test rides as you can. Cruisers ar ecool but they are not for everyone. You may not like the way they handle.

Look at used bikes to save some cash.

Honda Valkyrie. My husband has a '98 one it’s been our only vehicle for the past seven years. If you can find one take a look at it, they’re just great bikes.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
skimmy_jimmy wrote:
honestly all ive driven so far are some yamaha crotch rockets and many different dirt bikes, so a hog would be something new for me. i kind of want to head to honda to test drive one :smiley:

Get as many test rides as you can. Cruisers ar ecool but they are not for everyone. You may not like the way they handle.

Look at used bikes to save some cash.[/quote]

Good advice. Bikes are not like cars. They don’t fall apart as quickly as most cars. Plus, everything is right there, easily seen. It is very easy to tell if a bike has been taken care of. Pretty much anything built within the last 10 years is indestructible, even Harleys. DON’T WASTE MONEY ON A NEW BIKE.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
DON’T WASTE MONEY ON A NEW BIKE.
[/quote]

I can’t say I agree with that. If it is your first bike, then yeah, don’t waste money on a new bike. If you have been riding for a while and plan on keeping your next one for a long time, bikes made after 2000 just seem to be on another level.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
PGJ wrote:

I can’t say I agree with that. If it is your first bike, then yeah, don’t waste money on a new bike. If you have been riding for a while and plan on keeping your next one for a long time, bikes made after 2000 just seem to be on another level. [/quote]

Agree. Don’t spend on a new bike until you have been riding for a few years.

pay cash and buy used.

let someone else take the hit in the pocket to roll it off the showroom floor.

go to the dealers and sit on a bunch of bikes and test ride if u can.

look into sport tourers

the ducati monsters are pretty cool and have a low price if your on a budge. They can also be supped up.

I personally just love a black and green NINJA machine.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=552

If T-Nation had an official bike, this would be it.

The new Harly’s aren’t as loud as they used to be, so I suggested buying used. A buddy of mine bought a new Road King and it sounds like a moped. He paid well over $20k for it and then spent another $5k with add-ons.

From what I have read, many dealers offered large loans to buyers with poor credit they are repossssing many of these bikes. Also, manufacturers have far too much inventory due to the slow down in the housing market (too many new buyers taking out equity loans can’t afford to do so anymore)

Big Dog makes a nice bike but they are losing money are will be good to deal with.

I bought my 1990 Harley FXR with cash and I’m completely happy, especially since Harley’s are the only bikes that retain their value.

PGJ wrote:

I can’t say I agree with that. If it is your first bike, then yeah, don’t waste money on a new bike. If you have been riding for a while and plan on keeping your next one for a long time, bikes made after 2000 just seem to be on another level. [/quote]

I couldn’t agree more…for instance the new gsxr 1000 has damn near 200 horse power as and still doesn’t weigh a lot.

PGJ wrote:

Unless it’s a Harley, a new bike will see a massive drop in value as soon as you pull away from the dealer. A new top of the line 2007 Yamaha cruiser might run about $10,000. But you can pick up a used one for $4,000 less that is essentially in perfect condition and will last forever.

I’d go back to around 1995 when bikes started becoming super-reliable.

Im all for either a CBR 1000 or an R1. Possibly the 600 versions also.

I had a 1998 GSXR 750. I’d get a new one, but the current models look a bit crap with the pipe and head light. Maybe a 2003 or 2004 model.

Dunno about Harleys, get a chopper, they look cool.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Unless it’s a Harley, a new bike will see a massive drop in value as soon as you pull away from the dealer. [/quote]

Most people who actually plan on keeping their bike for a while will probably put a couple grand into it over time anyway. I would rather have a bike to keep that I KNOW has been treated right, instead of one I hoped had been treated right.

[quote]I’d go back to around 1995 when bikes started becoming super-reliable.

[/quote]

Have you been on a bike in the last 5 years that was made in the last 5 years? I am into sports bikes more than anything so when someone makes the claim you just did, it makes my ears hurt. Hell, I would put my last Yamaha 600 against most bikes made in 1995 as far as “dependability”. Then again, I am not an all too common (to the point of lacking originality) Harley fanatic who thinks nothing beats a Harley.

Also decide what you want and then find a bike that fits that requirement.

I own two - an '01 750 GSX, lowered 2" to fit my short legs and a '76 Shovelhead I bought as a basket case and built from the ground up.

The GSX is pure speed and when I want to go from zero to 100 in nothing flat. The Shovel is for cruising and low-end brute power.