Motorcycle & Gym, Practical?

Hello all

I was simply wondering on how practical it is using a motorcycle to get to and from the gym. I’ve been thinking about whether to get a car or bike and and I’m leaning towards the latter.

My main concerns are basically how great an effect fatigue would have on my ability to ride home, and the methods of transporting clothes / supps to the gym however I have a fair idea of how to accomplish this.

Any people have experience with this?

Thanks!

[quote]mo0ns wrote:
Hello all

I was simply wondering on how practical it is using a motorcycle to get to and from the gym. I’ve been thinking about whether to get a car or bike and and I’m leaning towards the latter.

My main concerns are basically how great an effect fatigue would have on my ability to ride home, and the methods of transporting clothes / supps to the gym however I have a fair idea of how to accomplish this.

Thanks![/quote]

No one bases whether they ride a motorcycle on how efficient it is to carry gym clothes and supplements on it.

Bungee your gym bag to the seat and do it. The only real disadvantage is you have to change from your riding gear to your workout gear.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
No one bases whether they ride a motorcycle on how efficient it is to carry gym clothes and supplements on it.[/quote]

It’s as much an economical decision as it is a transport decision, so I simply want to be sure I’m not short changing myself.

I get your point though :]

Zapp:
That’s what I’d planned, also just wearing workout clothes under leathers.

Thanks for the replies guys

If you’re unsure about whether or not you’ll be physically able to ride home after a training session, stick with a car.

My bike works just fine - lus the extra pedalling is good cardio!

[quote]mo0ns wrote:
Hello all

Thanks![/quote]

I just wear a big back pack with all my stuff in it. Like Zap said, the only problem is having to change clothes.

[quote]aikigreg wrote:
My bike works just fine - lus the extra pedalling is good cardio![/quote]

Im pretty sure hes talking about a motorcycle, i dont know about yours but im pretty sure my motorcycle does not require any sort of pedalling. ill ride my bike to the gym sometimes and the only thing i ever have problems with is ill get a cramp in my quads, although i have a sportbike so im in a squished position while riding.

I ride to and from my martial arts school quite often (25 miles, mostly freeway), and have no problems. As a matter of fact, riding after yoga is pretty cool. I get so relaxed I feel like I was painted onto the bike.

I don’t generally ride to the gym, because I usually go with the family. I don’t see where it would be any different than riding after a hard bout of BJJ or sparring. Make sure you get plenty of water and perhaps a quick bite to eat before you leave.

I use a Givi topcase to haul all my stuff. It holds a gi, towels, water bottle, shake mixer and all my sparring gear no problem.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add - “wear your gear at all times!”

id say it depends on what youre doing in the gym, and probably how far/what type of riding youre doing to/from the gym.

people have made comments about how to take your stuff with you…you dont need 10 more people to make suggestions on that, so i wont bother.

as far as riding home after a workout, ive often thought the same thing, and ive yet to take my bike to the gym.

honestly, i dont think im as alert after pounding some weights hard for an hour. i certainly dont feel the same sitting in my car, driving. a lot of times i feel tired and pretty beat up after a workout, and i wouldnt want to ride feeling like that.

if i were you, my decision would be based on how far/where id be riding. for me, my gym is only 6-7mins from my house. thats if i hope on the highway. and theres a couple on/off ramps and such that i just wouldnt want to mess with on a bike if my body wasnt feeling fresh.

on the other hand, if i lived in a small town where my gym was simply 5-10 minutes away riding on roads with relatively low speed limits, i might be more inclined to ride to and from sometimes.

now i will simply hypothesize about something: if you had say, a workout consisting of heavy loads- 85%+ of your 1rm’s, and were thus placing a high demand/high damage to your CNS, i see a very real possibility that you could have delayed muscle reaction after a tough workout. again, something to take into consideration, based on what kind of riding youd be doing.

I workout during my work day and if I rode my bike in to work I ride it to the gym. Can’t say I’ve ever given it the slightest thought. I always have to change into my gym clothes. What difference if I’m wearing a 3-piece suit or motorcycle leathers. If you like to ride. RIDE!

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
I workout during my work day and if I rode my bike in to work I ride it to the gym. Can’t say I’ve ever given it the slightest thought. I always have to change into my gym clothes. What difference if I’m wearing a 3-piece suit or motorcycle leathers. If you like to ride. RIDE![/quote]

That was my point. No one bases whether they get a bike on whether they can carry gym clothes. If you want to ride a motorcycle, you find a way to do what you need to do on it. I ride my bike to the gym if I feel like it. There is no hinderance at all.

I will recommend these backpacks because I own one. I read about them on this site 3 years ago (back when they did articles on new gadgets) and both of the ones I have still hold up like when I first got them. I get more comments on these packs then on my bike sometimes. They help me carry most of what I need while riding whether to work or the gym…and it matches the bike.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I will recommend these backpacks because I own one. I read about them on this site 3 years ago (back when they did articles on new gadgets) and both of the ones I have still hold up like when I first got them. I get more comments on these packs then on my bike sometimes. They help me carry most of what I need while riding whether to work or the gym…and it matches the bike.

www.boblbee.com/[/quote]

Those are the best looking backpacks.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Those are the best looking backpacks.[/quote]

They are also very well made. As much damage as I can potentially do to one, they manage to carry a lot of shit and they haven’t failed yet…unlike the several back packs I have owned over the years that would usually fall apart in less than a full school year.

I know I have routinely thrown in over 10lbs worth of shit (protein shakes, tupperware and half gallon jugs of whatever…even my lap top along with it) and it held all of it. They are mostly water proof as well (unless you literally dunk it in water) so they keep anything in it dry if you are riding in the rain on your bike.

prof x-

whats the purpose of having it ducktailed? i feel like its for aerodynamics, acting sort of like a spoiler on a car. or is it something completely different and obvious that im not seeing?

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
prof x-

whats the purpose of having it ducktailed? i feel like its for aerodynamics, acting sort of like a spoiler on a car. or is it something completely different and obvious that im not seeing?[/quote]

Both the larger and smaller versions have attachments for a bungee cord net on the outside of it that can hold things. With the lip, it keeps it tight to the body of the backpack and secure. You have to buy the net seperately. I have used it to hold my shoes on the outside of the pack.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Looks like it’s only as big a deal as I make it, and if I feel too drained after a big workout I’ll simply wait a while till I recover a bit.

I’ll look into those backpacks to, thanks

The only problem with wearing a backpack on a motorcycle is if you have an accident the pack could act as a nice little fulcum and f-up your back. I don’t think I’d wear a hard-shell backpack on a bike. A magnetic tankbag is a nice alternative.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
The only problem with wearing a backpack on a motorcycle is if you have an accident the pack could act as a nice little fulcum and f-up your back. I don’t think I’d wear a hard-shell backpack on a bike. A magnetic tankbag is a nice alternative. [/quote]

A magnetic tank bag won’t hold ten pounds worth of clothes, food and equipment. For those of us who use our bikes for more than just cruising, a tank bag might not be enough storage room. I am also unclear on the extra damage you think a backpack will cause. If anything, the ones I posted are shaped to match the curvature of your back as far as the part that actually comes in contact with your back. That just might cause this to be MORE protection if you actually fell on your back while wearing it than some backpack that balls up under your spine.