Motivation? What Seperates You?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
That’s why I feel insulted when other people tell me I look good. Fuck you. Do you have any idea how good I SHOULD look? Do you know what I SHOULD be capable of? Because I do. And I’ll get there.[/quote]

…serially?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

That’s it for me as well. Hell, I look better than pretty much everyone I know, but I still don’t feel ‘worthy’. I’m better than this and I know it. That’s all I need. It’s not about other people. I just know that I’m fucking better than the body I have now.

That’s why I feel insulted when other people tell me I look good. Fuck you. Do you have any idea how good I SHOULD look? Do you know what I SHOULD be capable of? Because I do. And I’ll get there.[/quote]

Well said, dude! Amen!

because we overcome…

It just aint your thing.

To the rest of us, we can’t imagine life without it. To you, it’s a chore.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i got to a point where i was pretty fed up with my apperance and didnt feel “worthy” enough.

That’s it for me as well. Hell, I look better than pretty much everyone I know, but I still don’t feel ‘worthy’. I’m better than this and I know it. That’s all I need. It’s not about other people. I just know that I’m fucking better than the body I have now.

i definately think i look good now. i mean i hear the compliments on such a consistent basis that itd be weird to think otherwise. interestingly though while i can assess that i look good whenever someone says “oh youre so big” or something to that effect im usually a lot more bashful about it.

i have my moments where im proud, i was psyched when i hit a 425x7 deadlift, im happy everytime the scale goes up but like i know what other people have accomplished so idk to them im probaly like the strongest person they know or even ever see. but for me, a person who looks at videos of guys deadlifting 600x10, i set the bar higher for myself cause i want to be the guy deadlifting 600x10.

but anyway, ive said this about other things too and theres a difference between actualization and settling (for lack of better word). like i said above i can actualize that i look good or that i have strong lifts but that doesnt mean im going to draw the line and say, thats it; im done.

theres differing degrees of things: bad, ok, good, great, awesome, perfect

so just if youre at “good” doesnt mean you cant be at “great” and when youre at “great” it doesnt take away from the stature of “good” just because you’ve surpassed it - follow me?

and even if you reach “awesome” you will never reach “perfect” because there is no such thing but you keep trying anyway. thats basically what this all boils down to. striving for “perfect” and even though its impossible you try like hell and have convinced yourself its obtainable just cause you want it so bad.

Why I love to lift? I’m fuckin pissed, thats why. When I am blasting metal during a set of squats, I don’t have to think of all of the bullshit I have to deal with. And the science of bodybuilding/weight training is so damn interesting, it keeps me coming back for more.

Hell I often question others motivation for working out because these people don’t really have to passion to work legs or gasp eat right. If it were just about looking good, I would have quit a long time ago. Instead, its about control over ones mind and body, not to mention the best therapy for me. So if you are not able to muster up the effort, think to yourself, Am I doing this to improve my inner as well as outer world?, or am I just trying to get some “hawt abz”.?

I do it cause I enjoy it. There’s no secondary reason. Not to look good, not to get strong, not to build some kind of inner character, not to cope with stress. I just like lifting. If you are using weightlifting as means to an end (being fat) you won’t have the passion to take you where you want. Once you learn to enjoy weightlifting and eating well, you will go very very far.

I ate like crap for 2 months (Nov and Dec) and woke up very shortly after Christmas and realized that my pants were too tight and I had gone from my usual 190 to 204 lbs.

I had been just screwing around for years and finally decided at the end of Dec 2008 to quit and really do it. I quit drinking, I quit eating junk food, and I started to really lift.

Lost the 14 lbs. in 6 weeks, look okay now. Can always look better.

I also just like lifting.

Good stuff guys. Thank you. Lots of different approaches and advice, thoughts, and opinions.

I appreciate it.

[quote]kennedy35 wrote:
Not sure where to post this so I went here. Thought about Beginners but, I’ve been training for a long time.

My question/comment:

Why do you think so many people settle for a less then ideal body even though they complain/think/worry about it everyday?

That is my current dilemma, I’ve been overweight for for nearly 5 years now.

I just can’t chock up the answer to it being “hard” to look good.

I am successful in every other aspect of my life. And alot of the aspects in my life are hard: my job, my relationship, coaching, etc… These are all things that take a major amount of time and effort.

So, why is the working out and eating right part so difficult for some and not others? You could say Math comes easily for some but, not others but, not everyone cares about math. Everyone usually wants to look good.

I am the constant excuse maker when it comes to looking good: I’ll start next Monday, after the New Year, after the SuperBowl.

I would never do this at my job or with my significant other. Why so much with the food and workouts?

What is seperating me from those who can be consistent in the gym and eat right?

Why have I settled for looking like a baby elephant and being unhealthy. Why do some care more about their look then their jobs? And who are those special people that do both so well?

Answers. Advice on motivation. Anything will help as I embark on my umpteen attempt to get back in shape.

Thanks for reading this difficult question that I barely understood how to pose never mind answer. [/quote]

dude, you just gotta think like a caveman

maning, if you dont train hard and eat right to build muscle, soeone is going to kill your familyand burn your house down. you gotta be strong to protect them

I just imagine some dangerous looking guy following me, my mom and girlfriend while we jog at night, everytime I want to take a day off from the gym or want cupcakes instead of protein bars

I feel like i’m putting them in a bad situation by not busting my ass to protect them

You don’t give a shit about training, but you do care a lot, it seems, when it concerns your significant other. The solution - mix the two. Having your significant other care about how you look will give you the motivation to work out seriously. If she can even come with you for at least your starting period - the better.

If you got into this particular site and forum this shows you’re interested. I bet once you get hard into it you won’t stop. You just need the initial push for the first few months to get your ass moving. Having a partner in life can also help controlling your diet if she’s cooperative.

Ct. Rockula adn israeli,

Two very different approaches and advice but, both very helpful.

I like the caveman thing. Its time to be a man. For sure.

I also like the point about her being supportive. I have asked her to push me a little more but, she just said that after awhile I will resent it??

I will try again and thanks!

I train hard and consistantly because I enjoy challenge and I enjoy reward. Like someone else said it is something that YOU and ONLY YOU are in control of.
I actually enjoy putting myself through discomfort that other people turn away from in order to reach my goals.

[quote]kennedy35 wrote:
Ct. Rockula adn israeli,

Two very different approaches and advice but, both very helpful.

I like the caveman thing. Its time to be a man. For sure.

I also like the point about her being supportive. I have asked her to push me a little more but, she just said that after awhile I will resent it??

I will try again and thanks![/quote]

This is very personality based… I would LOVE having a girlfriend who knew my goals in the gym and pushed me that much more. My last girlfriend didnt give two shits it seemed and would get pissed when I tried to throw 5 pounds onto her bench weight or when I tried to get her to squat. Compound this with the fact that she would ALWAYS take the advice of people from the gym over mine and it became a volatile situation.

The bottom line is you have to do this for you and no one else. No amount of motivation from your wife will have you bodybuidling for 5 years never missing a workout or a meal, it just doesnt work that way. There is damn near nothing that would make me stop going to the gym and bodybuilding.

If you truly desire it you make time and effort for it, not the other way around.

[quote]eric_lacrosse wrote:
It just aint your thing.

To the rest of us, we can’t imagine life without it. To you, it’s a chore.[/quote]

Nicely said.

It has to be your number 1 priority. Everything else comes second. Im in college and my meals and training always come before college. Doesn’t mean that im slacking in college by any meas, but if bodybuilding isn’t first dont expect much, it has to be first because thats how much it takes and its beautiful.

I am geniunely surprised no one threw in this pic - Or the Nike commercial with Matt Scott in it -

BUT after you read all these posts you have to ask yourself:

What is it worth to you & what pains & tribulations are you willing to endure & sacrifice to get there? I don’t know but I hope you “get” it.

The fire to improve yourself & find out your limits & go past them has to burn inside of you for as long as you can tend the flame. Most people never get past keeping the pilot light on.

Good enough never is & adversity introduces a man to himself.

Two things to think about.

You may be one of those that has to hit rock bottom before you wake up and make a real life change. And maybe you will never reach that point, most don’t.

I didn’t get it until I was 36 and weighed 205 pounds at 5’6". I was all fat and no muscle, and had never really worked out prior to that point. Something just happened at a deep level that changed my whole perspective, and brought me to where I am today, six years later.

One thing I can tell you is that success breeds success. The first year was hard, and took a lot of motivation. After that, I actually started wanting to be in the gym. I can honestly say I enjoy my workouts now.

There is no magic pill, you just have to do it and keep doing it, until it becomes a core part of who you are.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
Reading the article “Merry Christmas, Bob” is pretty motivating.[/quote]

I have to second this suggestion. This is a great article. We all have reasons not to train/eat well. Think about how many people want to change their bodies vs. how many people have time to watch tv shows like american idol. The point I am making is you have to make time. It doesn’t take an obscene amount of time or effort to improve your physique. You have to make the effort.

[quote]kennedy35 wrote:
Not sure where to post this so I went here. Thought about Beginners but, I’ve been training for a long time.

My question/comment:

Why do you think so many people settle for a less then ideal body even though they complain/think/worry about it everyday?

That is my current dilemma, I’ve been overweight for for nearly 5 years now.

I just can’t chock up the answer to it being “hard” to look good.

I am successful in every other aspect of my life. And alot of the aspects in my life are hard: my job, my relationship, coaching, etc… These are all things that take a major amount of time and effort.

So, why is the working out and eating right part so difficult for some and not others? You could say Math comes easily for some but, not others but, not everyone cares about math. Everyone usually wants to look good.

I am the constant excuse maker when it comes to looking good: I’ll start next Monday, after the New Year, after the SuperBowl.

I would never do this at my job or with my significant other. Why so much with the food and workouts?

What is seperating me from those who can be consistent in the gym and eat right?

Why have I settled for looking like a baby elephant and being unhealthy. Why do some care more about their look then their jobs? And who are those special people that do both so well?

Answers. Advice on motivation. Anything will help as I embark on my umpteen attempt to get back in shape.

Thanks for reading this difficult question that I barely understood how to pose never mind answer. [/quote]

Anyone could write a book on what motivates them, why we’re hear and why we do this. But what good does that do you?

We should be asking you why you can’t commit to going to the gym every day and eating healthy foods at every meal.

Like someone else said, doing this is priority number 1, cuz you go to battle @ every meal, every workout, everytime someone cuts you down or offers you a garbage food.

Why take the first big leap and keep at it long term?

Because it’s the best gift you can ever give yourself, just for you.

The pursuit of self betterment amplifies into your day to day life more than you’ll realize.

When you settle for less, including body image, you aren’t necessarily losing, but you’re definitely not winning.

Being content in just getting by? Fuck that. That’s what I learned anyway.