Motivation to Train

Hey everyone, I’ve been looking to get back into training for a month or so now, but haven’t had any luck. I used to lift and trained muay thai; but as I was finishing up school, I got wrapped up in my new career and now it’s been about two years.
Nowadays, by the time I get home, I’m too tired to do anything except prepare dinner/eat dinner then crack open some work files before bed.
I was hoping to get some success stories or tips as there seems to be quite a few experts on here.
Thanks!

what approach did you use DURING school? Recapture that.

Try watching some videos of people training.

Play some of your favorite music during a workout. When you’re getting ready to train, look forward to listening to some awesome music.

Listen to music before you train. Just think about how much better that music would be if you were lifting some heavy weight along with it.

Force yourself to do at least five sets of anything. Once you get started, you probably won’t want to stop.

Try setting up a mini routine. Do some kind of activity that has a clear beginning and end (watching a TV show, taking a dump, etc.) before your training with the expectation of working out right when that activity is finished.

Maybe try taking some stimulants. Definitely easier to get into the gym when you have extra energy to use!

That’s most of the stuff I do. Just have to find what works for you, I guess.

Great article for motivation. I like to read it once in a while

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

Great article for motivation. I like to read it once in a while[/quote]

Yah, that’s a great article.

1. Train in the morning - honestly you can do a lot in the morning.
  2. Sleep early.
  3. Work is work, it’s always there. But health disappears fast man, faster than you think.
  4. I like to listen to good tunes when training, lifting heavy and good music is motivating for me.
  5. Once you start your first exercise you won’t stop.
  6. What works for me is writing an outline of my gym program, gets me motivated looking at it and then visualising how I’m going to do it at the gym. You should feel intimidated and psyched by your gym program at the same time.

[quote]ZuluSierraPapa wrote:
(taking a dump, etc.) [/quote]
First time I heard this. I think I just found my new pre workout regimen!

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

1. Train in the morning - honestly you can do a lot in the morning.
  2. Sleep early.
  3. Work is work, it’s always there. But health disappears fast man, faster than you think.
  4. I like to listen to good tunes when training, lifting heavy and good music is motivating for me.
  5. Once you start your first exercise you won’t stop.
  6. What works for me is writing an outline of my gym program, gets me motivated looking at it and then visualising how I’m going to do it at the gym. You should feel intimidated and psyched by your gym program at the same time.[/quote]

This is right on. I was in the same boat where I had to focus on work and family and little by little less on me. I’ve been back in the gym going on two years and I can say the best thing by far was getting up earlier. I go to be around 8-9 and get up around 3 or 4. I get 3-4 hours to focus on me and whatever I need to do before I give my time to my J.O.B.

Pictures at the bottom of the home page :).

To me, you either have the motivation or you don’t. That’s it. On the very rare occasions when I am forced to miss a workout, I feel like shit. Because of this, I make a way to fit it in before the beginning of the next week.

I hear alot of people making the excuse that they just don’t have the time. For 2 years, I trained 5 days a week while taking 17 credits per semester at college (consistently made the dean’s list), and working 35 hours a week. Either you have the motivation or you don’t.

(call this a veiled brag if you want, but I don’t see how else I could have made this point)

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:

[quote]ZuluSierraPapa wrote:
(taking a dump, etc.) [/quote]
First time I heard this. I think I just found my new pre workout regimen![/quote]

It’s an especially good idea before squats. That way nothing falls out =P

What is important to you? What do you value? How does it tie into training? If you have found how your values tie into training, What are you going to do to make sure it happends?

If you don’t feel like training after answering these questions then I don’t know…

Watch this, with the volume cranked. Imagine how fucking pumped and in the zone these guys are, how focused and at peace they are with the world, how the only thing on this planet that matters while they are on that platform, is lifting the weight.

Now adopt that attitude for yourself. Go to the gym, and establish what your lifts look like now. Make goals based on that. Achieve the goals. Repeat. You’ll get addicted.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Watch this, with the volume cranked. Imagine how fucking pumped and in the zone these guys are, how focused and at peace they are with the world, how the only thing on this planet that matters while they are on that platform, is lifting the weight.

Now adopt that attitude for yourself. Go to the gym, and establish what your lifts look like now. Make goals based on that. Achieve the goals. Repeat. You’ll get addicted. [/quote]

H4M, I read your story on one of the T-Cell Alpha posts - that’s motivating right there. OP please read it!

Thanks for all the tips!

I started a list and added to it based on the feedback here. so far i have:

• filled up my ipod with some new tunes (this definitely helps)
  • starting to eat healthier (although I’m still doing some research on food - what/when to eat etc.)
  • limit time spent on work and GF(so far so good hahah)
  • wrote down a workout routine to follow
  • got some supplements (protein, fish oils, and multi-vitamins (not sure what else i need, but this is all i took before)
  • sleep earlier (was going to bed at around 11PM and waking up at 7AM)

I’ll keep adding to the list and incorporating them into my daily routine. Hopefully this helps!!

Now adopt that attitude for yourself. Go to the gym, and establish what your lifts look like now. Make goals based on that. Achieve the goals. Repeat. You’ll get addicted. [/quote]

lol that was pretty fucking awesome

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

Sick article!

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

That is a work of fucking art

[quote]Eric 2.0 wrote:

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

That is a work of fucking art [/quote]

I’m ready to slam some iron…right now

I love Zhasni’s videos. Thanks for posting this one, hadn’t seen it before. I’ve just been to the gym - now I want to go back!