Motivation and Help When it is Lacking

Sorry if this is the wrong forum! What suggestions do you have for someone who occasionally has days where I want to go to the gym and I start lifting and I never feel that surge of adrenaline that drives my workout? I’m not taking any supps right now (will soon though) but I don’t wan to rely on supps to get me into my workout. I’ve been doing this a while, even stepping on stage about 7 years ago and my goal is to get back to that. What tips, hints, or ideas do y’all have? TIA

I dunno about any surge of motivation or energy to go lift. I don’t get too many peaks and troughs like that in training. I just try to stay disciplined and do all the things that make up the process right because I enjoy it and the results.

If we manage our recovery and training workload you should have the energy to go in and do stuff even if it’s relatively low e.g. the day before you did a big session. One of the measures of balance between training and recovery is low energy and motivation to go train.

If actual motivation is your issue maybe think about why you’re lifting. Do you even enjoy most aspects of it? U need to answer that for yourself

There’s a recent thread on here about why people lift and it’s all sorts from being alpha or some bullshit to having time be practice being in the moment, mindful almost like meditation.

1 Like

Lift anyway. Not everything in life has to be fun

1 Like

I heard a guy once say discipline > motivation.

4 Likes

Yep this. The adrenaline from workout out is something I don’t even remember. Its not a permanent thing. A combination of habit and foresight are how you get yourself to the gym on days like this. Think ahead 3 hours, will you be happier having gone to the gym or having blown off the workout? Think about when you get into bed that night, would you be annoyed at yourself for missing the opportunity? I would.

Motivation takes you only so far, then you need dedication. Dedication has to last long enough for it to turn into habit. Going to the gym for me is like brushing my teeth. It’s not exciting, but it is non negotiable. Though I do enjoy it a little more than brushing my teeth ngl but the metaphor holds, if loosely.

3 Likes

I find that if I do whatever it takes to get myself there, that’s job done.

I’ve been known to bribe myself with junk food in bad situations just to get myself through the door. Always safe in the knowledge that by the time I’ve trained I won’t have the energy to go and get it and I’ll just eat as planned and go to bed.

Imma provide some simple tips which you may want to take up.

First thing to do is the night before the gym begin visualising your session. See yourself smashing your sets think about your goals of getting on stage and tell yourself after tomorrow you are one step closer. We have studies that tell us shit like that works.

The second thing to do is make it ‘easy’ to get to the gym. When I say easy, have your bag packed, gym clothes and shoes out, water bottles, shakes, whatever all ready so you don’t need to do anything extra besides pick up a bag and go.

Next is, just walk in the gym. If you really are not feeling it. Just tell yourself that you will walk in there and do 2 minutes on the treadmill. Then decide if you are going to do just one set or leave. Not your compounds, not all your main movements, just one set - empty bar / machine then take it from there. Remember that 1 set is better than sitting at home.

That will usually be enough to get you through. Now, somedays, you won’t want to go even if it is just as easy as grabbing your bag and walking out the door.

For those days, I suggest the trusty log book and guilt lol. You take out your log book and you write down your decision “Today, I had the opportunity to get closer to (your goal here). I decided that I’d rather stay home and miss that opportunity instead” or words you feel are powerful.

I’d also encourage you to write down the “Today I am one step closer to (your goal here)” or your version of that when you finish your workout.

Writing is a strangely powerful motivator - if you can get over the cheese haha

5 Likes

I’m also an advocate of discipline over motivation. One thing I have noticed about myself is that if I put a yearly wall planner on the wall of my gym and mark it every time I train I feel I can’t let the chart down. Seeing a series of ticks and then a blank period would annoy the shit out of me. Must be OCD.

Is your motivation from internal or external source’s? How old are you now? What stage of your life are you in?

In my 30’s, I went through a phase where every workout left me trembling and required such mental and emotional preparation. I was lower in energy, tended to have nagging injuries, and would think what you wrote above. It’s not necessary. Today I will go into my garage, progress through my bench press using 531 5’s PRO, and between each BP set alternate rows and ab roll outs. Nothing to it. It will be challenging but so very doable that I don’t need caffeine pills and heavy metal to get through it.

Goals are achieved and sustained through workman-like efforts, not Herculian assaults on your muscles and joints.

2 Likes

Figure out when the pretty girls in tight pants work out and go to the gym during that time.

Get a cool new shirt that’s really bad-ass so you’re hype about wardrobe if you can’t get excited about lifting. Or some new Figure 8 straps, or hang some chains off the bar for new toy enthusiasm.

Find a Ewe tube coach or guru who puts out exciting, cool videos frequently and keep updated. Get some second hand excitement or some cool new stuff to try. I like Josh Bryant, he got lots of interesting methods and splits.

Drink more water so you’re hydrated and energetic before gym time.

You could also make up a new gym playlist. Some novel tracks in a new order, so each song is a little surprise. Like ear confusion instead of muscle confusions.

6 Likes

I recently had surgery and it put a whole new perspective on lifting. I’d think wow I have the ability to work out. I’m lucky that I’m healthy enough that I can go to the gym. “Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” ~ Edward Stanley

1 Like

Quantifiable goals + writing stuff down (ie, both goals and stuff achieved) is mostly what I find motivates me + having one big cheat meal once a week is also useful.

I already liked that post but omg that post is so golden I had to say something! Thx!

1 Like

I just try to say to myself at each crossroads. Does this. Voice take me closer to my goals or push me further away from them. It’s harder to consciously choose something that is counterproductive to your goals.

Take some time off and look into a few different programs. When you find one that gets you excited about training you will know it’s time to resume!

Came to post this. Motivation is fleeting and inconsistent. Discipline is not.

I’ve been having some ups and downs mood wise, and sometimes even if you’re just mailing it in, it’s in.

Yeah, sometimes I just have to take a clock in, clock out mentality to do it.

I have found nihilism helpful.

1 Like