Motivating and Training Your Wife

Increase Her Intensity While Keeping the Kids at Bay

My wife works out in our garage. Our 3 kids are very interested (sometimes) in coming out to visit. In their minds they’re hungry, or need help with their homework, or want a hug, etc…in our minds they’re nagging and bored ! Our kids are the greatest.

One reason my wife loves to lift is it gives her energy and strength to play with and take care of the kids. It’s tough finding a happy medium between shutting them out of the garage entirely and allowing them to come in and hang out. It’s TOUGH to get into a workout when you’re being asked about dinner while doing heavy back squats !

Here’s a trick we’ve been successful with. Figure out how long your workout is going to take. Tell the kids if they don’t interrupt for that amount of time, you’ll take them out to the movies or something.

So…tonight she’s doing 6 exercises, 2 sets of 15 reps with 2 minutes of rest in between sets. The math = 1st exercise 1st set takes roughly 30 seconds (1 second up, 0 pause, 1 second down), rest 2 minutes, 2nd set takes roughly 30 seconds, rest 2 minutes, begin 2nd exercise 1st set…so a total of 5 minutes per set give or take 30 seconds…

I’m making it way more difficult, but you get the idea…so a total of 30 minutes in a perfect world (6 sets times 5 minutes). We’ll put a sign on the door to the garage saying, “don’t interrupt before 5:30” 30 minutes after we start at 5:00.

NOW…to boost the intensity…we could tell the kids we’ll be done in 25 minutes…that would practically eliminate any rest periods in between exercises and make sure we’re moving quick throughout the entire workout. Following the obvious here, we could tell them 20 minutes and decrease the rest time in between sets to further boost the intensity…

Anyway…hope this helps you train and motivate your wife and/or girlfriend. Anyone else have any advice for keeping the kids happy and absent while you work out at home?

Can’t help here, too young to have a wife and too sexy to have a girlfriend. Just wanted to ask, sen say, ever considered writing as a profession? Maybe send a Random Act to T-Nation one of these days?

Good post … Appreciate the link

j-rod

[quote]Robert P. wrote:
Can’t help here, too young to have a wife and too sexy to have a girlfriend. Just wanted to ask, sen say, ever considered writing as a profession? Maybe send a Random Act to T-Nation one of these days?
[/quote]

TC has actually been camped out on my front lawn for a month now picketing me to write for them. He showed up in an El Camino loaded down with bags of money, cases of supplements, Gina and Jelena, cuban cigars and mason jars filled with what he assured me was ‘finest, hic, finest quality bath tub gin’. I was touched by his offer and sorely tempted.

Unfortunately, I’m under contract with Lord Alfred Knopf. Once I finish my latest offering (Sen Say’s 365 MORE Advanced Sexual Positions For You And Your Wife And/Or Girlfriend(s) To Try This Weekend) I might be able to work out something.

Until then I’ll try and make the best of the neighbors yelling at me to ‘shut up that atomic dog’ and said atomic dog sneaking a shower from my garden hose once a week.

Mail Bag

I’ve been getting a lot of mail lately. Rather than reply one-on-one I’ll reply here in case more than one person has the same question.

Dear Sen Say,

I love your posts. Your the greatest ! My prolbem is my husband wont let me spend any money on der supplements. I really feel I could reach ah new ah level of leanness if he was as ah giving and generous with me as you are with your ah wife. What is a girl with no money from der Netherlands to do?

Broke in the Nederlands

Dear Broke,

Just tell him taking HOT-ROX Extreme and Se7en has scientifically proven aphrodisiacal effects.

Okay…that’s actually the only letter I received, but I thought others might be interested to know:

1. I got a letter.
  2. Girls with no money in the Netherlands love my posts.
  3. You can get whatever you want from your husband and/or boyfriend(s) if they think it’ll get them in bed with you more often.
  4. Girls with no money in the Netherlands think I’m the greatest.

Okay…so…Happy Weekend! I’m going out of town so if I don’t get to your letters, postcards, requests for public appearances, entry form to join me and my wife and my neighbor’s 24 year old daughter (ladies only) to celebrate my neighbor’s 24 year old daughter’s 25th birthday please forgive me.

Wife’s Training Plan

For those of you asking:

6/25/07
Bent Rows = 3865
Deadlifts = 3895
Overhead Press = 2851
1651 (Failure)
Lunges = 3820
Bench Press = 3855
Bench Squats = 38105
4 planks for 30 seconds each

She overdid it a bit and hurt her upper back. She said it was ‘in a good way’. I think she was using some poor form on her overhead presses and leaning back to get the weight up. Anyone have any experience with that?

We went a little lighter tonight than planned due to back recovering. It was low weight night anyway…

6/28/07
Lunges = 21510
Rowers = 21555
Deadlifts = 21575
Bench Press = 21547 (PR)
Bench Squats = 21595
Overhead Press = 11537

1 plank for 1 minute

Super DUPER thread! thanks for the fun reading!

I actually wish my boyfriend would work out with me more but he works out of town and when he’s here he usually goes to the gym with me. When he’s out of town he doesn’t go the gym regularly and he eats terribly!
And then when we’re at the gym together he complains because guys know me because I’m there every night and everyone stops to watch me do sl dead lifts. (They don’t really but he says they do!)
He works hard and I love him and he’s super supportive but…there’s the but, I sometimes wish he would eat better just a little bit and lift more. It’s hard though with a tough schedule like his though.

Oh well, babbling, no question there, felt like I had to say something!

Why not have your wife keep her own log? I’m sure she would get lots of feedback, motivation and support from women in the Sorority forum, and be able to ask her own questions directly.

[quote]Esmee wrote:
Super DUPER thread! thanks for the fun reading!

I actually wish my boyfriend would work out with me more but he works out of town and when he’s here he usually goes to the gym with me. When he’s out of town he doesn’t go the gym regularly and he eats terribly!
And then when we’re at the gym together he complains because guys know me because I’m there every night and everyone stops to watch me do sl dead lifts. (They don’t really but he says they do!)
He works hard and I love him and he’s super supportive but…there’s the but, I sometimes wish he would eat better just a little bit and lift more. It’s hard though with a tough schedule like his though.

Oh well, babbling, no question there, felt like I had to say something![/quote]

Hi Esmee ! I’m glad you like the thread ! Please feel free to babble away !

Sounds like you have a classic ‘but’ case. Either that or you’re dealing with another classic case I was going to cover in my next ‘5 guys to avoid’ post.

I don’t want to ‘go and ax like all personal juownk and all’ so let me know on here or PM me if you want help analyzing your sitch-eeation.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Why not have your wife keep her own log? I’m sure she would get lots of feedback, motivation and support from women in the Sorority forum, and be able to ask her own questions directly.

[/quote]

Hi Yo Momma,

Great suggestion ! I’m trying to motivate her to do exactly that.

She’s just not quite as verbose :wink: as I am !

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Esmee wrote:
…everyone stops to watch me do sl dead lifts. (They don’t really but he says they do!)…

He’s right.

You’re wrong.

[/quote]

Yup…I’m guessing that’s the case.

It’s funny though…there’s two extremes here…some guys get way too jealous/upset when other guys watch their wives and or girlfriends work out…some guys get way too excited…

I find in talking with the guys that get way too jealous/upset that what really bothers them is that no members of the opposite gender check them out at the gym…IF they were getting ogled by the aerobics bunnies…they’d be happy having their “l’il lady” enjoying a few ogles…let’s face it…who doesn’t like to get ogled ?

I mean…not in a ‘hole burnt in my butt’ kind of ogle the Atomic Kitten was talking about…(Lord knows I can’t stand it when 9 or 10 18 - 22 year old girls lay out their quilts and pretend it’s time for their knitting club (“first rule of the knitting club is there is no knitting club” - Tyler Durden) directly behind the squat rack when I’m trying to squat ! And don’t even get me started on how difficult it is to concentrate when camera flashes start exploding).

Also…how many of these irate fellahs would stick with their wives and/or girlfriend(s) if they didn’t inspire other males to sneak an admiring glance at their full, round, ripeness of hindquarters during a sl deadlift ?

So, often the real problem with these fellahs is that they’re married and/or dating girls far above them…and they’re insecure about it…I’m NOT saying that’s the case of anyone that’s posted on this thread…just of the guys I’ve interviewed on this topic !

The guys that get way too excited are just kind of creepy and are to be avoided especially if your gym has a sauna.

[quote]sen say wrote:

Sounds like you have a classic ‘but’ case. Either that or you’re dealing with another classic case I was going to cover in my next ‘5 guys to avoid’ post.

I don’t want to ‘go and ax like all personal juownk and all’ so let me know on here or PM me if you want help analyzing your sitch-eeation.

[/quote]

lol…funny you say that…Saturday he was feeling under the weather and said, “don’t go to the gym, stay home and take care of me.” I thought oh no…he’s turning into one of those people in that guys thread on T-Nation!
He’s not usually like that…cue ominous music!

[quote]Esmee wrote:

lol…funny you say that…Saturday he was feeling under the weather and said, “don’t go to the gym, stay home and take care of me.” I thought oh no…he’s turning into one of those people in that guys thread on T-Nation!
He’s not usually like that…cue ominous music!
[/quote]

hmmm…I’m starting to worry…

I’m having a vision of your guy with a pudgy gut and skinny arms and legs sitting on the couch watching wrestling and eating chips while your toddler sits unattended eating hostess chocolate cupcakes while you’re trying to give your newborn a bottle and vacuum at the same time whilst dressed in your grey spandex shorts that used to fit.

Things aren’t looking too good for getting to the gym today as your mom isn’t home to watch the kids and your beau is ‘tired’ from working all week…

Anyway…all my visions don’t come true, but if you can see this happening…RUN ! Pack your bags.

I can offer you sanctuary for a couple of weeks if you got no place else to go. Not sure if you’d be bothered by the passionate cries emanating from my wife’s boudoir on the nights my neighbor’s 24 year old daughter visits, but there’s always ear plugs.

Hey…this guy’s looking for a new girlfriend that’s interested in being fit: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1633418 maybe you two could get together and hook up your exes. You two get fit partners and your exes get couch sitting buddies ! What’s not to love ?!?

Hah! Well lucky for the boyfriend he has sooo many wonderful attributes that the fitness thing doesn’t really matter. And I’m not just saying that in case he ever reads this for some reason.

Sounds like you and your wife have a good thing going though!

Seriously if i had to take a guess at your profession answer number one would be writer. The way you articulate things is so stinkin hilarious.

[quote]Esmee wrote:
Hah! Well lucky for the boyfriend he has sooo many wonderful attributes that the fitness thing doesn’t really matter. And I’m not just saying that in case he ever reads this for some reason.

Sounds like you and your wife have a good thing going though! [/quote]

Okay. Sounds Good. I guess the guy over here http://www.T-Nation.com/...c.do?id=1633418 will have to figure out what to do without you, but hopefully all will be well.

Seriously though…shoot us a recent pic of you and your bf together and then post one like every month or so. That way we can determine if a) he’s growing out of control b) you’re both growing out of control c) you’re both doing fine.

I’m trying to save you from being like Princess Leia to his Jabba the Hut…

[quote]EG wrote:
Seriously if i had to take a guess at your profession answer number one would be writer. The way you articulate things is so stinkin hilarious.[/quote]

Nope. Professional Irish Folk Dancer. I’m off Broadway right now and have a non-speaking role in RiverDance.

TC remains convinced I could be a writer. He’s still camped out on my front lawn. There’s a growing collection of old shoes gathering around his makeshift camp. The neighbors aren’t sure what else to do when he howls at the moon and sings “Is You Is, Or Is You Ain’t My Baby” to no one in particular.

Shugs has been by once or twice and tried to get him back in the office. No dice though. Attempts to trick him into the car by asking, “Who’s a good Atomic Dog ? Who wants to go for a ride?” have failed miserably and desparate pleas of “C’mon TC, git in the dam car already” have also met with firm refusals.

Don’t Give Up on Her

Okay Atlas, when’s the last time you went five workouts in a row without having a lame workout ? When’s the last time you ate clean for a week straight ? When’s the last time you went 2 weeks without skipping a workout rationalizing that you’d work harder the next time you got your lazy self to the gym ?

I personally have to answer that it’s been a long time since I didn’t sleepwalk through a workout, made it a week without munching on pizza and beer and decided to skip a workout possibly due to aforementioned pizza and beer binge.

So, why is it we get so upset at our wives and/or girlfriends when they do exactly what we do ??? Not only do we get upset, we wash our hands of their desires to learn how to lift and eat cleaner. Does this make any sense ?

Here’s why we do it. And maybe by understanding why, we’ll be able to change our behavior.

Ever notice that when you get mad at someone…9 out of 10 times you’re really mad at yourself ? Think about it…you get mad at your kids for waiting until the last minute to do a book report. Aren’t you really mad at yourself that you didn’t take more of an interest in your kid’s school work and make sure he and/or she got the report done early?

Aren’t you kind of kicking yourself because when you were growing up you waited until the last minute to do your school work and now you’re watching your kid do the same thing ?

Another quick example…you hook up with a set of identical twins you met at the Saturday night Bible Study at the Baptist church. No one has a condom, but hey…they’re identical twins and good church goin’ lasses to boot.

Three days later you develop a nasty drip and swear you’ll never speak to those ‘darn Henderson twins’ as long as you live. You’re even a little mad at Pastor Fitzlander for letting those hussies attend his Bible Study.

Now really…aren’t you mad at yourself for 1) not thinking to pack a gross of condoms before hitting the Bible Study 2) not having the will power to wait until you and the twins could have the appropriate blood tests completed?

So…when the wife and/or girlfriend complains she’s tired and doesn’t want to lift and wouldn’t pizza be fun for dinner? Take it easy on her. Don’t yell and jump up and down. Stick with her for the long haul. One night of pizza and beer for a professional 6 weeks out from their show probably isn’t the best idea, but for us mere mortals it isn’t the end of the world.

I know that I sometimes look at my kids and want the best for them and want them to be better than me. I can put some unnecessary pressure on them and sometimes I’m unduly harsh. In the end they always make me extremely proud and have already far exceeded my hopes and dreams for them.

I’m not going to quit being their dad because they wait until the last minute on their book reports. Why would I quit motivating and training my wife because she makes chocolate pudding for dinner once in a while ?

I just wanted to comment on how lucky your wife is! I have always loved lifting and when I met my ex-husband I was ecstatic that he wanted me to start lifting with him.

He ended up being very very critical of everything that I did. There were never any positive words of encouragement… just the “you need to do this better” kind of stuff.

Anyway, I loved reading this and wish you and your life goodluck!