Most Underrated Bodybuilder?

OK, he drank his own Mountain Dew.

How about defining “underrated” before continuing. There are obviously at least two standards being used here.

Personally I don’t give a damn about the nuances of the word. This thread, again, is shaping up to be as good as the Favorite Bodybuilder Pic thread, and I’m highly enjoying it.

I do enjoy being introduced to a BB I’ve never heard of before, like Thierry Pastel.

Well, for instance, Lee priest isn’t “underrated”. He has a HUGE fan following even though he hasn’t even competed in years. He is probably somewhere about 50lbs overweight eating KFC right now but that won’t take away what he accomplished in “fame” in the sport.

I mentioned Dawodu because he was not only looked over at contests…but it was like the magazines just ignored he existed…even though he was clearly on stage matching the guys winning the top spots.

I also agree with Bertil Fox. While he competed, he never got the attention his level of size deserved back then.

Someone mentioned Bob Paris. Again, this was a guy who everyone knew when he competed. He was well known if not a household name to “gym rats”. He was on talk shows, especially when he came out the closet and wrote a book.

I would say Dennis James is underrated but some could argue that his conditioning is what kewpt him from making more noise.

It is all a matter of perspective, but underrated means they never got the attention you would expect for the physique they carried.

…LIKE ORVILLE BURKE.

^
If a bodybuilder is black = underrated
If a bodybuilder is white = not underrated

Got it.

trollololololol

Not sure if this guy competed competitively enough to qualify for ‘underrated’, but he did have an incredible physique. My guess is that this is sometime during the early 80s in Canada.

Didn’t watch but that reminds me of Jussup Wilcosz.

Ok, I started the thread so let me be the first to explain what I meant by underrated. I was speaking more from a contest point of view. I think most of the fan favorites never seemed to be the judges favorites. Even though many of these guys mentioned in this thread frequently placed pretty high in many shows they never really got the respect or attention from the judges that they deserved IMO.

[quote]inkcreep wrote:
Ok, I started the thread so let me be the first to explain what I meant by underrated. I was speaking more from a contest point of view. I think most of the fan favorites never seemed to be the judges favorites. Even though many of these guys mentioned in this thread frequently placed pretty high in many shows they never really got the respect or attention from the judges that they deserved IMO.[/quote]

Dude…then that includes EVERYONE who didn’t come in first in a contest. Most bodybuilders will get attention if they are in the top 10. Just about all will have a fan base.

There are tons of guys who were on the same level as the top ten who were never even given a spotlight…and some who were top ten who you NEVER saw on the cover of a magazine.

Maybe you could be more specific.

Otherwise, this is just a “post your favorite bodybuilder thread”.

We did that already.

3 times.

My vote is for Bertil Fox dude was awesome

[quote]Nards wrote:
Didn’t watch but that reminds me of Jussup Wilcosz.[/quote]

Same here. But that dude seemed less detailed and rugged than Jussup.

Besides, that dude in the vid posed IRRITATINGLY in the way he ‘snapped’ into each pose.

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
My vote is for Bertil Fox dude was awesome[/quote]

I agree. One of my all time faves. I believe he was even better than Lee Haney at times and looked better in certain poses. If he had had more quad sweep, the Olympia probably would have been his (1983).

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

I agree. One of my all time faves. I believe he was even better than Lee Haney at times and looked better in certain poses. If he had had more quad sweep, the Olympia probably would have been his (1983).
[/quote]

ID did you watch an Indiana Jones marathon this weekend? :slight_smile:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

[/quote]

ID did you watch an Indiana Jones marathon this weekend? :)[/quote]

LOL! Talk about a thread hijack!

No, DJ… I did not. I watched the Olympia prejudging online, attended a wedding, went to a School of Rock show and saw a Nards lookalike there.

lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

[/quote]

I only even heard about him no more then 6 months ago and the first thing I thought was how have I not even ever heard of this guy before. I saw him in one other picture before that and it looked insane but had no idea who it was at the time

Marko Savolainen was underrated. He was super massive compared to the standard at the time.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

…LIKE ORVILLE BURKE.[/quote]

Damn you.

I had his picture ready to post in one more new post here before I went to work and my son came in demanding attention and I never got the chance to post it until I got back tonight.

I do have to thank you for introducing him in the FBP thread in the first place. What an incredible physique. Why the hell do I never see this guy ANYWHERE until I go searching for him?

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

…LIKE ORVILLE BURKE.[/quote]

Damn you.

I had his picture ready to post in one more new post here before I went to work and my son came in demanding attention and I never got the chance to post it until I got back tonight.

I do have to thank you for introducing him in the FBP thread in the first place. What an incredible physique. Why the hell do I never see this guy ANYWHERE until I go searching for him?

[/quote]

wow I have never heard of this guy, my god he looks awesome

Holy-frickin-moly.

High lat insertions a problem?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
went to a School of Rock show and saw a Nards lookalike there.
[/quote]

God don’t tell me it was Meatloaf.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
went to a School of Rock show and saw a Nards lookalike there.
[/quote]

God don’t tell me it was Meatloaf.
[/quote]

LOL! Nope. It was that same dude I had seen months ago (I told you about him).

I literally almost yelled out “NARDS!” when he walked by. I’m gonna try to get a pic if I ever see him again.