T Nation

Most Recent Milo

I was wondering if anybody saw the most recent Milo magazine, Sept 2006. In it there were 2 separate articles that talked about powerlifting gear.

One of the articles, Lest We Forget, says “Real strength is not in fabric, but in the principle that you love the sport too much to compromise the true intent of what lifting is all about.” He basically says gear is making the sport too easy and is changing what the sport is really about.

The second one, The Perspective of Modern Powerlifting, says that we must begin to separate the records set by todays lifter, with equipment, and those set in the past with little or no equipment. He also feels that the judging criteria is getting too slack, namely using the Monolift to squat and a belly bench to thrust the weight upwards. He is not anti-gear per se, but he doesn’t want geared lifts replacing the great lifts of those done in the past without gear. He does not say when or how exactly to implement that.

Thoughts on these points?

This has been beaten to death ad nauseam, and the end result is usually people calling each other names. I have no idea why MILO would think rehashing points that have been made THOUSANDS of times would make an interesting article, but I guess that’s part of the reason why I don’t have a subscription.

Did you JUST receive this? I got a subscription not long ago but I think I only got 2 issues for it. Hopefully I’ll get this one soon.

I haven’t been in the loop lately on the gear vs. raw debate, so forgive my ignorance, but how does a monolift help the squat?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I haven’t been in the loop lately on the gear vs. raw debate, so forgive my ignorance, but how does a monolift help the squat?
[/quote]

You don’t have to STEP back out of the rack with the weight. You also have to step back IN after squatting.

Imagine not getting a lift when benching or any assistance in racking it when locked out.

I don’t like gear at all. I say use shorts, t-shirt with sleeves cut off and chucks. No extras.

But since that’ll never fly because people would cry when they lose 400 lbs off thier totals, why can’t all this stuff be standardized?

  1. Same shirt material and ply.
  2. Same squat suit material and design.
  3. Same bar manufacturer.

I know I’d hate to bench 45 more lbs raw than some dude only to have him beat me because he bought a better shirt and used it properly. WHo is the stronger person?

And why not allow straps when deadlifting? I hear grip is holding some big guys back from breaking records.

I already know the answer…

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
This has been beaten to death ad nauseam, and the end result is usually people calling each other names. I have no idea why MILO would think rehashing points that have been made THOUSANDS of times would make an interesting article, but I guess that’s part of the reason why I don’t have a subscription.[/quote]

Milo has some pretty good stuff in it if you are interested in powerlifting, weightlifting, strongman, armwrestling, or grip related information and it has a lot of articles and few ads (and not that many pictures).

I think the point is that it takes momentum to begin to change things, so at first people talk about it and take little notice, but as more people dicuss it, and more mainstream media begins to write about it, perhaps a correction and/or more fruitful debate will occur.

I have an article in that issue on page 80 or 81.

keith

[quote]derek wrote:

  1. Same shirt material and ply.
  2. Same squat suit material and design.
  3. Same bar manufacturer.
    [/quote]

You know, I think these haven’t happened because it would take a lot of business away from Inzer/etc. No need to upgrade to the triple ply kevlar suit when all feds only allow poly…

It’s a sad day when powerlifting starts to be about the money.

[quote]derek wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:
I haven’t been in the loop lately on the gear vs. raw debate, so forgive my ignorance, but how does a monolift help the squat?

You don’t have to STEP back out of the rack with the weight. You also have to step back IN after squatting.

Imagine not getting a lift when benching or any assistance in racking it when locked out.[/quote]

In my opinion the lift is called the SQUAT for a reason. You squat down with the weight and come back up.

It’s not the “un rack the weight-and-take a step back-and-then SQUAT-and-when you’ve done this take a step forward and re-rack the weight”.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

In my opinion the lift is called the SQUAT for a reason. You squat down with the weight and come back up.

It’s not the “un rack the weight-and-take a step back-and-then SQUAT-and-when you’ve done this take a step forward and re-rack the weight”.[/quote]

HAHAHA that is the funniest frigging response I’ve ever read to the anti-monolift argument

I really only buy one issue of milo a year for their coversage of the arnold. Other than that theyre a little high and mighty and are a little too infatuated with “odd” lifts and the old tymey strongmen

[quote]Keith Wassung wrote:
I have an article in that issue on page 80 or 81.

keith[/quote]

Hey, I was wondering if you could reference me to any powerlifting or strongman gyms (or even O-lifting gyms) in the los angeles, ca or rancho cucamonga, ca area?

Thank you for any help you can offer,

xn

[quote]nptitim wrote:
cap’nsalty wrote:
This has been beaten to death ad nauseam, and the end result is usually people calling each other names. I have no idea why MILO would think rehashing points that have been made THOUSANDS of times would make an interesting article, but I guess that’s part of the reason why I don’t have a subscription.

Milo has some pretty good stuff in it if you are interested in powerlifting, weightlifting, strongman, armwrestling, or grip related information and it has a lot of articles and few ads (and not that many pictures).

I think the point is that it takes momentum to begin to change things, so at first people talk about it and take little notice, but as more people dicuss it, and more mainstream media begins to write about it, perhaps a correction and/or more fruitful debate will occur.[/quote]

good post, i think what happens mostly today, is people who thing gear has gone overboard are shouted down and geared lifters get defensive a little too easily.

again, i agree with the above post, i am sure many (especially guys who get 200-400lbs on there total from gear) would rather this topic not be brought up, but the way things are changed is by starting intelligent conversations that dont end up with RAW-dogs yelling “cheater!” and geared guys yelling back “pussies! sack up and gear up and see who is the strongest!!!”

[quote]Hanley wrote:
derek wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:
I haven’t been in the loop lately on the gear vs. raw debate, so forgive my ignorance, but how does a monolift help the squat?

You don’t have to STEP back out of the rack with the weight. You also have to step back IN after squatting.

Imagine not getting a lift when benching or any assistance in racking it when locked out.

In my opinion the lift is called the SQUAT for a reason. You squat down with the weight and come back up.

It’s not the “un rack the weight-and-take a step back-and-then SQUAT-and-when you’ve done this take a step forward and re-rack the weight”.[/quote]

you got to be fucking kidding me right? i have heard this argument before, and shook my head and bit my lip, but i cant anymore.

really? so why do football teams go to the trouble of a snap and hold on field goals??? hell, the idea is to kick the ball through the uprights no? so what the fuck does the snap and hod have to do with anything?

just have the ball preset on a tee and go for it.

why? because it is part of the game that’s why. unracking the weight and stepping back under control is part of the squat as a sport for decades.

i love when im in the gym and using lifting straps (i occaisonally use them while deadlifting) and some crusty old powerlifter gives me a look of disgust as three of his friends help him into his leotard, wrap his knees up, and put his belt on him, so he can do half squats.

If a monolift is so bad, they should just ban lift offs in the bench. This would eliminate some exaggerated set ups. If you’re not man enough to unrack it yourself, you’re not strong enough to lift the weight.

My contention is that no one cares about lifting sports, so let the particpants do what they want. You don’t like it, change it or go to a federation that is more in line with your thoughts.

It’s not like this is college football.

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
i love when im in the gym and using lifting straps (i occaisonally use them while deadlifting) and some crusty old powerlifter gives me a look of disgust as three of his friends help him into his leotard, wrap his knees up, and put his belt on him, so he can do half squats.[/quote]

ROFL

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
Hanley wrote:
derek wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:
I haven’t been in the loop lately on the gear vs. raw debate, so forgive my ignorance, but how does a monolift help the squat?

You don’t have to STEP back out of the rack with the weight. You also have to step back IN after squatting.

Imagine not getting a lift when benching or any assistance in racking it when locked out.

In my opinion the lift is called the SQUAT for a reason. You squat down with the weight and come back up.

It’s not the “un rack the weight-and-take a step back-and-then SQUAT-and-when you’ve done this take a step forward and re-rack the weight”.

you got to be fucking kidding me right? i have heard this argument before, and shook my head and bit my lip, but i cant anymore.

really? so why do football teams go to the trouble of a snap and hold on field goals??? hell, the idea is to kick the ball through the uprights no? so what the fuck does the snap and hod have to do with anything?

just have the ball preset on a tee and go for it.

why? because it is part of the game that’s why. unracking the weight and stepping back under control is part of the squat as a sport for decades. [/quote]

You want to talk about old school do you???

Two words, Bench Press.

Whatever happened to cleaning the weight off the floor and sitting back and getting it in a position to press it from there and then after completing the lift reversin the whole process without the aids of a rack or spotter.

Times change. Why not go back to the old way of benching,and before anyone says “cos it’s dangerous”, let me jsut ask you, when do the majoirty of injuries occur whilst squatting?

[quote]tom63 wrote:

My contention is that no one cares about lifting sports, so let the particpants do what they want. You don’t like it, change it or go to a federation that is more in line with your thoughts.

It’s not like this is college football.[/quote]

Absolutely. The sport is there for the lifters. If they want to do something a certain way, then why not let them.

The only problems I see are when different feds start bashing others (Kieran Kidder calling all other feds weak, The IPF claiming the moral high ground cos they’re “drug free” and ONLY single ply)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
tom63 wrote:

My contention is that no one cares about lifting sports, so let the particpants do what they want. You don’t like it, change it or go to a federation that is more in line with your thoughts.

It’s not like this is college football.

Absolutely. The sport is there for the lifters. If they want to do something a certain way, then why not let them.

The only problems I see are when different feds start bashing others (Kieran Kidder calling all other feds weak, The IPF claiming the moral high ground cos they’re “drug free” and ONLY single ply)[/quote]

I agree, they’re all shouting in the wind. no one cares in the general public. Do what you like and enjoy it.