Most Powerful Criminal Organization

I was doing a paper in one of my criminal justice classes and I started thinking about who was the most powerful criminal organization in the world. Based on what I have found they are the following. (In no particular order). Anymore “organizations” I should add to this wall of shame?

Russian Mafiya (Multiple, not all Russian either, mainly former Eastern bloc countries)
Colombian Cartels (Again, multiple)
Japanese Yakuza
Sicilian Mafia

Triads? (Chinese) and Hell’s Angels? I don’t think the Hell’s Angels have any kind of centralized “command”, but they are active in America, Europe and Australia.

How about CIA, KGB, Mossad, MI6 and all those various government backed intel/counter-intel organizations? They’ll often operate illegally and even criminally in other countries as part of whatever destabilizing missions they’re on.

One man’s criminal organization is another man’s goverment.

Have you found anything from Africa?

I’m thinking that this should be the next big producer of an organized crime syndicate. Some of the banking scams that have come out of Liberia are endorsed by their government, executed through their national banking system, and use loopholes in the international banking regulations to bilk people.

Thats pretty powerfull, and well organized.

If any of the regions in that continent could achieve some stability, I’d hate to see what a bunch of unemployed warlords could come up with as a new enterprize.

What about The Legion of Doom?

Maybe Virtucon when Dr. Evil gets his frickin’ sharks with frickin’ lasers on their head.

[quote]Wiggum88 wrote:
I was doing a paper in one of my criminal justice classes and I started thinking about who was the most powerful criminal organization in the world. Based on what I have found they are the following. (In no particular order). Anymore “organizations” I should add to this wall of shame?

Russian Mafiya (Multiple, not all Russian either, mainly former Eastern bloc countries)
Japanese Yakuza
Sicilian Mafia[/quote]

There was the Jewish and Irish organizations that was more in power in the early century (1900’s). Also, can we count the organized crime in the US that was scicilan based, or do you count that as “mafia”? They can be seen as two totally differnet entities.

Also count the larger inner-city gangs, as they can be organized and more violent that the traditional “mafias”. Most notably, Bloods, crips (both late 80’s), latin kings, gangster disciples, vice-lords insane unknowns (Chicago area), and various others depending on your location.

Also, while not as organized as a whole, count in terrorist groups who deal in arms and drugs to finance their goals.

Don’t be misled. The family crime aspect of "Hell’s Angels is very well run, and extremely profitable.

MS-13 is far away the most powerful gang in the Americas.

Al-quida?
Taliban?

What is MS-13?

There’s a guy Al down the street that has a fruit stand. He looks to be about 70 and wears overalls, but I bet it’s a front. He probably has huge bags of cash stashed somewhere and sells ‘goods’ hidden inside the fruit. At least that’s my theory. And there may be many Al’s all over the country. It could be a very well-organized ring.

[quote]Gerg wrote:
Wiggum88 wrote:

Japanese Yakuza
Sicilian Mafia

There was the Jewish and Irish organizations that was more in power in the early century (1900’s). Also, can we count the organized crime in the US that was scicilan based, or do you count that as “mafia”? They can be seen as two totally differnet entities.

Also count the larger inner-city gangs, as they can be organized and more violent that the traditional “mafias”. Most notably, Bloods, crips (both late 80’s), latin kings, gangster disciples, vice-lords insane unknowns (Chicago area), and various others depending on your location.

Also, while not as organized as a whole, count in terrorist groups who deal in arms and drugs to finance their goals.[/quote]

No I’m talking about sophisticated groups. As far as Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings go I wouldn’t put them into that category. They walk around with tattoos saying what group they are in and dress a certain way.

How much easier do you want to make it for law enforcement to spot you? The Russian Mob has former KGB agents, Red Army Officers, and guys with 3 Phd’s calling the shots, along with former Spetznas commandos and former Olympic athletes as enforcers. Plus it has been well documented that alot of Al-Queda’s and other terrorists groups supplies of weapons have come from Eastern Bloc criminal lords.

Semion Mogileyvich is said to control the entire arms industry of Hungary. Actually a Cartel drug shipment was found inside of a Russian Sub! Where do you think the submarine came from. The Japanese Yakuza has some 100,000 members and controls large economic portions of Japanese economic growth along with entire the prostitution and human trafficking in Southeast Asian countries.

As far as the Mafia goes, I would not put La Cosa Nostra in the category either. The American Mob is broken. And the members can only blame themselves. They broke their own rules, now it is a shell of what it was. The Sicilian Mafia however is a different story. It is still very powerful. Colombian drug lords are more powerful than their governments.

What distinguishes these groups from traditional gangs is their organization, intelligence, ingenuity and most importantly of all their secrecy. A good criminal is a smart one. He doesn’t get caught and nobody would even know that he is one to begin with.

I just wrote a paper on two of the don’s of the underworl in India. Check out Dawood Ibrahim and Chhota Rajan.

Dominicans, Nigerians, and Albanians are also on the rise.

MS13 (latin gang based from El Salvador/ extremely violent/ often have tattoos of 13 or 18 around their neck/ strong presence in DC and continue to spread through the US)

Seperate terrorist organizations out. Organized crime is profit motivated while terrorists have idealogical/political motivations.

How about the United States Government…just look at your tax dollars at work.

I love being a United States Citizen and am very proud of our countries heritage, but everytime I look at my paycheck when I work over 50-60 hrs…I want to puke.

Pehaps the Biotest Superheros could takes some time off their contests & modeling scheduals to help eliminate these criminal organizations?

Isn’t that what superheros are supposed to do?

Also, aren’t superheros supposed to have secret identities?

Vatican.

The Japanese Yakuza essentially operate openly and touch every facet of Japanese business. I would definetely look into that one.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
Vatican.[/quote]

HAHAH agreed.

Something to keep in mind is that organized crime groups don’t get where they are alone. They have connections to those in political office. For example: the Sicilian Mafia was given a lot of freedom to operate and expand its heroin trade because it helped the Democratic Christian party win the vote in the south of Italy (and thus the election).

Also, the DC recieved funding from the CIA (it was directly opposed to the Communist party and at that time Italy had the largest Communist party of all the Western European nations). So a direct link can be drawn from the US govt to the Mafia in Sicily. This was during the Cold War and there was a real fear that Italy would be run by communists.