Most people are not actually doing wendler?

The coolest wendler routine is the main lift template followed by german volume training isolation exercises.

There was a judoka who had a before and after picture where he just ate everything and the transformation was awesome. I think he did about 8 cycles before completely stalling on every lift.

It was like

Overhead Press-5/3/1
Lateral raises-10x12-15

Deadlift-5/3/1
machine rows-10x12-15

Bench-5/3/1
Incline DB bench-10x12-15

Squat-5/3/1
Squat to box-10x12-15

He gained like 60lbs, a lot was probably fat but He was training in judo and doing sprints so exactly how much I am not sure.

If I ever do 5/3/1 I would probably do something like that.

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I pick one isolation move at the end of my 531 workout, and get 100 reps without putting the weight down. This is miles past failure, and it’s Jims idea. 1% of the program is dedicated to assistance lifts, but this is what people spend 99% of their time worrying about. For me day one looks like this, Squat 531, Squat 5x10, BB curls (55lbs) 100 reps catching breath with bar held in hands, and continuing till 100 reps are reached. Day two, Bench 531, bench 5x10, supersetted with inverted rows 5x15-20, side laterals 100 (15lbs) reps same formula. It’s about getting stronger mth to mth on the basics, and having fun and not worrying about the rest. Have fun, get stupid strong, and be well, goodluck [/quote]

I really like this one. It become very interesting if you choose a compound exercise that doesn’t overly fatigue the body like db front squat db racked on shoulder or kettlebell swings. Your lungs will be screaming.

I’ve been making very good progress by starting out way too light. A month before I started 531 I pulled 425, and the week before I went in on a day I felt like ass, pulled 365 and plugged that in. So now I’m ending up with 10-15 reps for squats and deadlifts for my last working set, but I never stall and the weight keeps increasing.

If I do feel like going really heavy, I typically do a limited range of motion excercise (rack pull, pin press, squat lockout) for low reps circa max weight. Assistance is usually Boring But Big for squats and OHP, on DL days I either do tire flips, another BBB squat session, or instead of doing assistance after, I’ll do some cleans or other pulls beforehand. Bench assistance is whatever i feel is weak. If it’s chest, dumbell pressing, usually incline; if it’s triceps, close grip; if everything feels good, BBB bench.

This isn’t exactly what Wendler put out in his book, but the important thing is that the working sets ARE done according to his programming. The assistance doesn’t matter, it’s whatever works for you and makes you stronger.

[quote]sharkOnesie wrote:
These calculators give you far too much volume
[/quote]

This can’t be serious.

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

These calculators give you far too much volume
[/quote]

This can’t be serious.[/quote]

This is serious. one of them rather than following the percentages and rep set schemes gives you

5x
5x
3x
5x
3x
3x

^This has nothing to do with wendler.

You do realize the first three sets are WARM-UP sets, right?

Always goes

5x
5x
3x
5/3/1 , be it 5 5 5 or 3 3 3 or 5 3 1 depending on the week

[quote]lcsilva wrote:
You do realize the first three sets are WARM-UP sets, right?

Always goes

5x
5x
3x
5/3/1 , be it 5 5 5 or 3 3 3 or 5 3 1 depending on the week[/quote]

Right, but
5x
5x
3x
5x
3x
3x
is not

5x
5x
5x
3x
3x
3x

or
5x
5x
5x
5x
5x
5x

or
5x
5x
5x
5x
3x
1x

also most of the calculators seem to ignore percentages or make up their own.

Show me a calculator is wrong.

I’ve 2 editions of the book and as far as I could see http://www.strstd.com/ is correct.

Nothing is wrong with
5x
3x
3x

If this is the 531 week, then the last set is 1+.

You might even have a 555 week that looks like 5x, 5x, 10x

I use black iron beast 531 calculator’ no problems 5 5 5 5 5 3 5+ is the proper set up for the first week. stop thinking and start lifting bro. As far as hitting a wall a 8 cycles, Wendler says to set your goals by the year, and your achievement’s by the decade. This is good advice considering I’ve been lifting heavy for 2 1/2 decades.

Recently at 40, after getting family and finances in a good place, I have decided to make lifting a priority again (15yrs since last meet) and go for a 2000lb raw total, this will be at least a 5yr investment. Consistent effort + time = success, Kids need to take this in, just relax, and put the work in. Strong lifts for everyone !

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I use black iron beast 531 calculator’ no problems 5 5 5 5 5 3 5+ is the proper set up for the first week. stop thinking and start lifting bro. As far as hitting a wall a 8 cycles, Wendler says to set your goals by the year, and your achievement’s by the decade. This is good advice considering I’ve been lifting heavy for 2 1/2 decades.

Recently at 40, after getting family and finances in a good place, I have decided to make lifting a priority again (15yrs since last meet) and go for a 2000lb raw total, this will be at least a 5yr investment. Consistent effort + time = success, Kids need to take this in, just relax, and put the work in. Strong lifts for everyone ![/quote]

Yes sir! Hope anyone who wishes to follow will enjoy.

This is why I like Westside. It’s a lot less complicated than this.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
This is why I like Westside. It’s a lot less complicated than this.[/quote]

I’m bored…

So I just finished the 5/3/1 kindle edition book and have come to the conclusion most people are not doing wendler.

This is the main lift cycle percentages and set and rep goals:

cycle 1

week 1
65%x5
75%x5
85%x5

week 2
70%x3
80%x3
90%x3

week3
75%x5
85%x3
95%x1

week 4
40%x5
50%x5
60%x5

cyc;e 2

week 1
75%x5
80%x5
85%x5

week 2
80%x3
85%x3
90%x3

week3
75%x5
85%x3
95%x1

week 4
40%x5
50%x5
60%x5

He also has a progression % for accessories and recommends never going to failure on them.

I know at least three people, two of them who I have been friends with for awhile and seen them look the same and continually stall since starting, I think this has to do with people not actually reading the book and rather going on free online wendler calculators.

These calculators give you far too much volume, poor deload choices and give no advice on accessories, going to failure or even follow a realistic progression for someone to folliow.

I read the wendler simplest and most effective for raw strength edition, not sure how this varies from the power lifting one however.
[/quote]

He recommends in the book an increase of straight weight ie 5 or 10 pounds. he doesn’t say to increase percentages. you missed a big part. also who cares what other people do, lift how you want and stop worrying about how everyone else lifts.

not to hyjack, but my buddy called me today after he read this post. He wanted to hack on me about posting that I had a 2000lb goal. Whats wrong with people, shoot for the moon, and make it to the clouds. I realize I might not see 2000, but from where I’m starting 1500 is to easy, and I have nothing beter to do for the next 20yrs anyway. On topic I don’t know where the OP is getting his 531 info, but it’s not what I’m reading. He started a log, and I’m sure he’ll figure it out as he goes along.

[quote]boldar wrote:
He recommends in the book an increase of straight weight ie 5 or 10 pounds. he doesn’t say to increase percentages. you missed a big part. [/quote]

This. OP is out to lunch, in left field.

Ya think,

What do you mean you don’t increase percentages? in the kindle book the percentages progress each day of week and then each week of cycle until deload week?

What do you mean you don’t increase percentages? in the kindle book the percentages progress each day of week and then each week of cycle until deload week?[/quote]

Here is an example of two cycles of bench to kill possible confusion:

Cycle 1: Tm = 100kg.

Wave 1: 65kg x 5, 75kg x 5, 85kg x 5+
Wave 2: 70kg x 3, 80kg x 3, 90kg x 3+
Wave 3: 75kg x 5, 85kg x 3, 95kg x 1+
Wave 4: 40kg x 5, 50kg x 5, 60kg x 5.

Cycle 2: Tm = 102,5kg. ( add 2,5kg/5 pounds to yout TM and recalculate your next cycles training weights. the tm increases while the % for the set and reps stays the same )

Wave 1: 67,5kg x 5, 77,5kg x 5, 87,5kg x 5+
Wave 2: 72,5kg x 3, 82,5kg x 3, 92,5kg x 3+
Wave 3: 77,5kg x 5, 87,5kg x 3, 97,5kg x 1+
Wave 4: 40kg x 5, 50kg x 5, 62,5kg x 5.

[quote]florelius wrote:

What do you mean you don’t increase percentages? in the kindle book the percentages progress each day of week and then each week of cycle until deload week?[/quote]

Here is an example of two cycles of bench to kill possible confusion:

Cycle 1: Tm = 100kg.

Wave 1: 65kg x 5, 75kg x 5, 85kg x 5+
Wave 2: 70kg x 3, 80kg x 3, 90kg x 3+
Wave 3: 75kg x 5, 85kg x 3, 95kg x 1+
Wave 4: 40kg x 5, 50kg x 5, 60kg x 5.

Cycle 2: Tm = 102,5kg. ( add 2,5kg/5 pounds to yout TM and recalculate your next cycles training weights. the tm increases while the % for the set and reps stays the same )

Wave 1: 67,5kg x 5, 77,5kg x 5, 87,5kg x 5+
Wave 2: 72,5kg x 3, 82,5kg x 3, 92,5kg x 3+
Wave 3: 77,5kg x 5, 87,5kg x 3, 97,5kg x 1+
Wave 4: 40kg x 5, 50kg x 5, 62,5kg x 5.

[/quote]
The one thing to remember that isn’t quite clear in your example is that the max goes up by 5lbs or 2.5kg, but the lifted weights only go up as the percentage of the total. Since you will inevitably be rounding, you’ll end up lifting the same weight for two cycles at some point on upper body lifts (unless you have access to fractional plates). On lower body lifts this doesn’t happen if you go up by 10lbs, but at some point you only go up by 5lbs on some weeks.

Some how OP thinks your suposed to apply these percentages to assistance lifts as well, and in his log he has a ton af assistance lifts, so I don’t know what he has on his kindle. It’s not a 531 program that I’m aware of, I just figured he would burn himself out, and find the real program along the way. Mabey this will help him, 531 is so simple, not sure where all the confusion is comming from