Most Pain You've Ever Experienced

Probably poison ivy I got into primarily on my right leg. Back of my knee and ankle turned black. I ended up with allergy shots and having to do a cycle of prednisone.

I also have Osgood schlatter disease and sometime whack my patella attachment with the bar while deadlifting that can give me pretty blinding, but short pain.

Sisu?

Post must be longer…

Some people (like me) have an “unusual enervation pattern.” That means the nerves in my lower jaw aren’t located quite where they typically are, so my dentist has a hard time getting me numb. With a previous dentist, I had a crown prep without being numb and it was horrible. I wonder if that’s what’s up with you as well.

Yeah, my daughter had a really shallow little cavity filled without anesthesia. A root canal is a whole different beast.

Wait…Skyzyk, aren’t you from Pittsburgh?

If so, I believe that I attended the university to which you are referring, lol

@ActivitiesGuy - Yea, CMU! Our local treasure. My brother works there, and I’ve known tons of grads/post grads.
Depending on your age and major, you may have attended some classes with the guy I was speaking of.

Worse pain of my life is having a c-section without pain medicine. I got a spinal “tap” shot however you spell it In my back. Wait a few minutes and all of sudden the biggest pain of pulling my son out of me I felt like I was going to die. I just couldn’t breath or anything. My husband was sitting next to me scared of hospitals so I couldn’t scream or anything. I don’t know how I made it through that one. I’ve also got my gallbladder taken out. I was put under but recovery sucked. I can’t take narcotics because I’m on medicine. Couldn’t really take pain medicine. Recently I had a lump under my arm pit so the doctor had to cut that open and squeeze out the puss from it. Yeah gross and not pretty at all. That hurt so bad. Also being pregnant have a fever and a bladder infection all at once is not nice. So there you go. Tons of pain without to much pain medicine.

I am so grateful I have never had a dental problem, some of the stories I read here sound horrible.

1 Like

There’s a “fun” fact, haha. It makes a lot of sense. I had tons of cavities when I was a kid since I had my pacifier until I was like 3 (I’m assuming this to be the cause). Most of the procedures went fine; went numb & everything. But not on that particular day. They ended up having to give me a root canal on it b/c it was so bad… luckily by another dentist. The guy had a bunch of display cases with archaic dental tools. Way to put a kid at ease lol.

Sorry you had a similar experience! Was your daughter fine?

Yes, my daughter was fine. It was a very surface cavity, not close to a nerve. The pediatric dentist thought giving her a shot would be more traumatic. It worked out fine for her.

In my case, my dentist sometimes has to give me several shots before he works on the molars in my lower jaw. He knows I have that issue, and he’s just knows that I might not get numb the first time. It’s a challenge, but he’s really patient with it. I think it’s a bit of trial and error trying to figure out where to inject the anesthetic. He’s had half of my tooth numb before, but I could feel one side. No bueno. Also, he writes me a script for Valium before I come in because I’ve had enough painful experiences to have anxiety about it. Worth it.

Hopefully it doesn’t happen to you again!

Well that’s good, the last place a kid should fear is a dentist’s office.

Ugh. Sounds pretty troublesome. Actually the last time i was at the dentist, which is longer than I’d care to admit, they actually gave me a topical anesthetic that worked pretty awesome actually. I’ll be at I’m sure was in a section of mouth that was normal. Valium sounds like an awesome idea, I’ll have to definitely remember that one next time!

1 Like

I’d have to say when I ruptured my patella tendon.

I was tagging up on third base during a baseball game, about half-way home, the tendon popped and my kneecap moved into my quad. I kinda looked like a scissor lift going down to the ground. It didn’t hurt immediately, but it did hurt as soon as I rolled to my side and flipped my leg around back to normal position.

Best part was when the opposing catcher still came to tag me out before they got me off the field.

This was also 4-5 months after recovering from falling on a tile step and slicing through my other patellar tendon.

I’ve told this before, but while I was in Walter Reed, President Bush stopped by. I was not eager to see him, as I was not (and am not) a huge fan politically.

He asked if he could do anything for me and I flippantly replied he could read the sports page to me every day because I wasn’t allowed to touch newspaper due to infection concerns.

He sat down and read the sports page with me for a solid hour, taught me all sorts of stuff about baseball I didn’t appreciate and then repeated this twice a week until I was out of the hospital.

Now, you can think what you want about W, but Obama didn’t do this, and Trump and Hillary sure won’t be bothered to do that, either.

It probably kept me from the contemplated suicide I mentioned above.

5 Likes

It’s not fun at all tagging someone out in that situation. Last summer in the old man league I was playing in, I was playing shortstop and an opponent came into 2nd base, safe by a mile so he went in standing up. Something popped, I’m pretty sure it was his patella. He was writhing on the ground and I felt terrible about tagging him. I put one hand on his shoulder and my glove on his waist so it wasn’t obvious I was tagging him out.

Then, real quiet so nobody could hear, I whispered in his ear “quit being a baby”.

2 Likes

Haha. At least you didn’t push his teammates away to come in and make the tag. We all had a good laugh once they got me to the dugout.

I did find out that once you have a major injury like this one, your brain can pretty much “deactivate” muscles in the area. My quad turned to mush for about 3 solid months. It’s almost like you forget how to move the muscles completely.

That’s really fucking cool, and it does not surprise me at all. W always seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

3 Likes

ha ha! At the Pushharder thing

Late to the party, and definitely can’t top some of the stories here, but I got 2 for me.

In terms of “unfathomable pain”, it was recovering from ACL reconstructive surgery. Rupturing the ACL and fracturing the patella honestly didn’t hurt. I was pretty pissed off when I felt my knee slip the wrong way and heard all the popping and crunching noises, because I knew that meant a long recovery ahead of me. However, once the surgery was over and the pain meds started to wear off, that’s when things started to suck.

Apparently, they have to drill into your bones to anchor the new ACL, so it meant that I had holes inside of me. The reason this was so bad is that I couldn’t really wrap my mind around the pain/source of it. I’ve been hurt a lot, but usually I know what hurts and I can sort’ve “think” my way through it. I can try to shut off the part of the brain that it’s touch with that part of my body, or rationalize the pain away. In this case, since I couldn’t see what the hell was going on, I’d just feeling these waves of pain rolling up and down my shin whenever I flexed my ankle the wrong way.

In terms of miserable pain…you know how they say you’re not supposed to sleep in your contacts? What they REALLY mean is you’re not supposed to sleep in your contacts and THEN try to take them out. I didn’t know that second part.

The reason you’re NOT supposed to try to take them out is that the contacts attach themselves to your cornea, which means, along with taking out your lens, you take out part of your cornea.

The best part was, me being an idiot, I decided I was still going to drive to work and do my job. I figured I’d just pick up some eye drops and I’d be fine. Then, I got in my car, turned on my engine, and the air conditioning hit my eye.

I was howling. I ended up driving to my optometrist, and after 2 weeks of wearing a contact lens bandage over the eye, I had regrown my cornea, at which point the doctor told me that he was really happy about that, because apparently it was pretty touch and go.

The best part about that story was the fact that I drove there with only 1 eye, and by the time I arrived, I couldn’t open either eye because my face was shutting down. As I’m sitting in the waiting room by myself, there is this pregnant pause, after which point the receptionist goes

“…Sir…how did you get here?”

I told her that if she saw a car parked sideways in the parking lot, it was probably mine, haha.

1 Like

I use to roll my ankles a lot as a kid…

Eye pain is pretty awful.

My daughter accidentally stabbed me in the eye with a stick back in 2011. She was playing with it, and I had just come home so I picked her up and tossed her in the air, as I usually do. She was holding the stick like Norman Bates, and the thing came straight down into my right eyeball as I caught her. Scratched the cornea (under the iris) pretty severely.

My wife took me to an Urgent Care, where they put some eye drops in that almost immediately made all the pain go away. It was magical. The doc trimmed off some of the damaged cornea and gave me some lotion, drops, and an eye patch. I think I missed 2-3 days of work (it happened on a Saturday). Even months later, if my eyes got exceptionally dry at night, when I woke up the action of my eyelid opening would re-tear the cornea at the spot of the injury and it was right back to square one. It took over a year to heal completely. Thankfully my vision is not affected.

Oh man, I loved me them magic eye drops! Silly me though; when they put it in and the pain went away, I immediately thought they fixed it. When they told me it was just temporary relief, my heart sank. I’d actually feel it wear off within the visit to the doc. The eye bandage contact lens was nice at least.

That’s rough with the re-tears. I knew a guy that went through something similar. Eventually he had to get lasik to fix it, which is some sort of magic I don’t quite understand myself.

Chopped up some jalapenos and thought I washed my hands well enough. I went to the bathroom to take a leak and apparently some of the oils from the jalapeños got onto my pecker. It sucked for about a half hour.

1 Like