[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

The Breakfast Club (waa waa waa, stfu)[/quote]

I lol’ed hard…

And I loved the Wrestler, blasphemy. [/quote]

Yes the wrestler WTF…a whole lot to do about nothing![/quote]

Never seen the Wrestler, And BEANSSSS your new AVATAR ROCKS!!![/quote]

Thanks, I was impressed by the pic myself.

SPOILER

The movie was really really sad. The man kept making the same stupid decisions over and over. He was his own worst enemy and ruined every good thing that ever happened to him (outside of his career, which got fucked up too.) And as he got older and really started to figure out that your life isn’t defined by partying on weekends, and what you do for a living, but by HOW you live your life and being a better person, he STILL can’t make the right choices.

The open ended ending was irrelevant. Dead or alive, he had already lost everything he ever had, ruined anything good in his life, and any hope of finding love and happiness was gone. [/quote]

WTF…was this sent over to the Taliban. Did this replace Waterboarding. Why would someone watch that. The only 2 people I know of that should see movies like this are Bill Gate and Oprah. Because they are so rich and happy they need this kind of shyt to bring them down to earth so they won’t spend all day diving into there money pit and paying kids to run around town and hit the lesser rich over the head with ripe oranges.
[/quote]

I took it as a story of an individual who craved glory at the expense of all else. Glory that seemingly only youth could provide. When he reached the point in his life where he had to deal with things beyond his powers, it forced him to look in the mirror and at his mistakes. In the end, he realized that having lost everything, he still had a chance at the one thing that sustained his existence - glory. It didn’t matter what he learned along the way. There was nothing to apply it to - nothing to correct. And like CB said, life or death at the end was irrelevant. THIS was his moment of glory.

This was covered by Leo DiCaprio already but hello,

TITANIC

sucked huge balls. Yes I actually watched it.

Also, I completely disagree with Forrest Gump being overrated. One of the best movies ever.

Blair Witch Project

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

The Breakfast Club (waa waa waa, stfu)[/quote]

I lol’ed hard…

And I loved the Wrestler, blasphemy. [/quote]

Yes the wrestler WTF…a whole lot to do about nothing![/quote]

Never seen the Wrestler, And BEANSSSS your new AVATAR ROCKS!!![/quote]

Thanks, I was impressed by the pic myself.

SPOILER

The movie was really really sad. The man kept making the same stupid decisions over and over. He was his own worst enemy and ruined every good thing that ever happened to him (outside of his career, which got fucked up too.) And as he got older and really started to figure out that your life isn’t defined by partying on weekends, and what you do for a living, but by HOW you live your life and being a better person, he STILL can’t make the right choices.

The open ended ending was irrelevant. Dead or alive, he had already lost everything he ever had, ruined anything good in his life, and any hope of finding love and happiness was gone. [/quote]

WTF…was this sent over to the Taliban. Did this replace Waterboarding. Why would someone watch that. The only 2 people I know of that should see movies like this are Bill Gate and Oprah. Because they are so rich and happy they need this kind of shyt to bring them down to earth so they won’t spend all day diving into there money pit and paying kids to run around town and hit the lesser rich over the head with ripe oranges.
[/quote]

I took it as a story of an individual who craved glory at the expense of all else. Glory that seemingly only youth could provide. When he reached the point in his life where he had to deal with things beyond his powers, it forced him to look in the mirror and at his mistakes. In the end, he realized that having lost everything, he still had a chance at the one thing that sustained his existence - glory. It didn’t matter what he learned along the way. There was nothing to apply it to - nothing to correct. And like CB said, life or death at the end was irrelevant. THIS was his moment of glory.[/quote]

I can understand a life lessons type of movie or book, However. In my life the last thing I can imagine doing is dropping my hard earned duckets on the table and paying someone to depress me. I have the comute into work for that.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
With regards to the Hangover, the first time I saw it I totally thought it was overhyped, but I watched it a second and third time and the movie was the fucking tits…maybe watch it again.

Oh and another overrated movie…Jerry Maguire, show me the stupid[/quote]

I think if you gave The Hangover a second and third chance you should definitely re-watch The Godfather. WHo knows? It might come down off your most overrated movies list.

Scarface is on my list for sure. But i’m not sure how over-rated it is…I think it just has more of a cult following which makes it appear to be more highly rated than most would give it credit for.

[quote]four60 wrote:
I can understand a life lessons type of movie or book, However. In my life the last thing I can imagine doing is dropping my hard earned duckets on the table and paying someone to depress me. I have the comute into work for that.
[/quote]

Four60,

Are you saying that in ALL your life’s activities, you completely avoid things that cause negative emotional reactions? Is everything you do a joyous one?

If this is the way you live your life, I’m all for it. But it does seem unrealistic.
I think it’s the juxtaposition of diametric opposites that makes life exciting.

[quote]Anonymity wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
With regards to the Hangover, the first time I saw it I totally thought it was overhyped, but I watched it a second and third time and the movie was the fucking tits…maybe watch it again.

Oh and another overrated movie…Jerry Maguire, show me the stupid[/quote]

I think if you gave The Hangover a second and third chance you should definitely re-watch The Godfather. WHo knows? It might come down off your most overrated movies list.

Scarface is on my list for sure. But i’m not sure how over-rated it is…I think it just has more of a cult following which makes it appear to be more highly rated than most would give it credit for.[/quote]

I know what ur saying…the reason I saw the hangover more than once is you do not have to invest to much attention to it, these movies are great filler for me, you kno shit like wedding crashers, superbad, knocked up…I love these comedies there great filler for a boring night.

I agree with scarface, it may not be the movie but the pop culture love for it, which may have cheapened it for me.

Your right, I will GF another go…I hope it is funnier the second time around…lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
[/quote]

Four60,

Are you saying that in ALL your life’s activities, you completely avoid things that cause negative emotional reactions? Is everything you do a joyous one?

If this is the way you live your life, I’m all for it. But it does seem unrealistic.
I think it’s the juxtaposition of diametric opposites that makes life exciting. [/quote]

hahahah. Come on Mighty Thor Dwarf…Are you saying that you seek out things to depress you? NO or at least I hope not.

I Grew up in Brookly NY, Seen my mother struggle to support a family and her grandmother after my father died. I watched her keep it together after my Grandmother started to have mental breakdowns at least once a year (this is during the 70/80’s when doctors had little clue to help).
I seen my first dead body at 6 when my sister took me to her friends wake after he was shot down in the street.
I seen my 2,3rd and 5th between the ages of 7-10 many of who were cousins. I been in tussles growing up being in the wrong place with the wrong people at the wrong time and can only assume that my life was sparred due to a praying mother because my fighting skills were not that great but I seemed to make out everytime with a cut here and a chipped tooth there.

And after many moons of living the life of a commercial roofer in NYC at the age of 23 I decided to leave and join the military…only to get shot in a drive by at my first unit. Why me?? well I can only assume becasue what the shooter yelled at me as they drove by “HEY YOU PUERTO RICAN MOFO” that they thought I was in the wrong neighborhood standing in front of the wrong Resturant breathing the wrong air.

And there are other inbetween stories but my long winded point is. Life is filled with its own drama and saddness if you want to seek it out or pay for extra thats your choice. But I would rather be taken someplace I have not been when I step into a theater. I want to laugh be amazed, shocked or just taken away by what is on the screen…

unless its a movie on Historical events Im a sucker for those.

[quote]progwizard wrote:
The Big Lebowski

Inglourious Basterds
[/quote]

I have never understood the cult following of The Big Lebowski. The movie is entertaining and all, but I just don’t “get it”.

I was extremely disappointed with Inglorious Basterds. The movie just seemed like a bunch of WWII movie cliches all rolled up into one movie. It definitely had some excellent parts to it, but overall I couldn’t see what the hype was about.

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

Anything with Leonardo DiCaprio[/quote]

Really? Certainly you don’t think The Departed was overrated?

[quote]four60 wrote:
hahahah. Come on Mighty Thor Dwarf…Are you saying that you seek out things to depress you? NO or at least I hope not.

[/quote]

First, I’m sorry for your troubled past, sincerely. We’ve all had very low depths we’ve lived through and have come away with perspective. I see that it’s made you a strong individual.

Second, I don’t seek out things that depress me. But I don’t turn away from art if one of its elements contains something uncomfortable - especially if the bigger picture may provide a respite from my normal life, a lesson, another point of view, or just great self-indulgent entertainment.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[/quote]

First, I’m sorry for your troubled past, sincerely. We’ve all had very low depths we’ve lived through and have come away with perspective. I see that it’s made you a strong individual.

Second, I don’t seek out things that depress me. But I don’t turn away from art if one of its elements contains something uncomfortable - especially if the bigger picture may provide a respite from my normal life, a lesson, another point of view, or just great self-indulgent entertainment.

[/quote]

I’m reminded of another Over rated flick with Tom Hanks. After years of eating fish in every possible way with no other options. He makes it back and looks at a nice display of sushi no intrest at all.

Edit: As for my life its just that a LIFE. I don’t look back with any sorrow or self pitty but I do Remember and thats the important part that you remember. It makes the present that much more sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m reminded of another Over rated flick with Tom Hanks. After years of eating fish in every possible way with no other options. He makes it back and looks at a nice display of sushi no intrest at all.

Edit: As for my life its just that a LIFE. I don’t look back with any sorrow or self pitty but I do Remember and thats the important part that you remember. It makes the present that much more sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. [/quote]

Amen

Titanic

boondock saints

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
boondock saints[/quote]

Okay okay okay… Maybe the squeal, but the first one?

YOu have got to be kidding right? lol

What movies DO you like? The notebook?

I’m betting he is holding off his 1000th post for a big one.

Rain Man (Tom Cruise was a dick throught that whole flick)

I have never seen “The Wrestler” so no comment there; but personally I hate the ultra depressing movies that try to inflict some point about how hard life is. This is why I hated “Million Dollar baby” so very much. That movie for the first two hours or so was good, kind of a female Rocky inspired flick but then the last 45 minutes of Hilary Swank trying to kill herself and Clint trying to come to terms with it; this is not why I go to see movies.

I know that good theater and film is supposed to make you think, to leave an open ended conclusion so that the viewer can take away their own message from the story- to me this is a crap answer. I go see movies to get away from real life and real world things; I do not want to see how hard life can be, if I needed to see that I would go to a homeless shelter or drive through the ghetto.

I go to watch a movie to suspend real life that is why movies such as the original “Matrix” were so awesome, that movie took mundane life and twisted it into something surreal. I am really not sure how to conclude this tirade, so I am just going to stop- I think the point has been made.

TL/DR= Depressing movies suck, I get enough Real Life from the Newspaper.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
boondock saints[/quote]

x2