Most Overrated Directors

Scorsese’s best work was done up to and including Goodfellas.
The Departed was good, but it’s a fucking remake.

Tarantino’s movies are fun to watch and insanely detailed.
If you’re into them, you’re into them, but they are always made with care.

Basically, most of the directors you guys are mentioning are old.
It probably gets difficult to come up with new and original ideas every time you make a movie.
So they all pretty much just throw more money at them, get the most expensive actors and hope for the best.

For the record, M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay should not even be in this thread due to the fact that EVERYONE knows their careers are not to be taken seriously.

Guillermo del Toro.

I feel like his name is everywhere, but really, what did he do?
I know people love Blade and Hellboy. I like those movies too, although I do think that sequels were not necessary.
But the only movie I can get excited about that has his name attached to it is The Orphanage. And he just produced it. So I don’t know if that counts in this thread.

I just don’t think his work is that good to have “from the director of whatever” in a trailer.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Going to add:
Oliver Stone[/quote]

Damn skippy.

[quote]Peter Jackson
[/quote]

There’s a pattern of the effects his movies have on me: they all make me fall asleep and I wake up and there’s still no action.
Those were just the first impressions of course. I love Lord of the Rings Trilogy and King Kong is growing on me, but damn. It’s not good that I can fall asleep and wake up and still no trace of a bad guy or monster.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Tarantino - WAY overrated

[/quote]

Right now he’s just riding off the fumes of the Kill Bill success.

Robert Rodriguez. Outside of From Dusk Til Dawn, El Mariachi and the other Grindhouse flick, EVERYTHING he’s done has been shit. Predators is probably the worst movie I’ve ever seen, and Machette was top 10 worst. He’s like a hyperactive 8 year old with a boner and an unlimited budget. It’s good to be Tarantino’s buddy I guess.

Off the top of my head, i’m going to go with Wes Anderson.

I like his taste in actors; But, his films are a little too “quirky” for my tastes.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Robert Rodriguez. Outside of From Dusk Til Dawn, El Mariachi and the other Grindhouse flick, EVERYTHING he’s done has been shit. Predators is probably the worst movie I’ve ever seen, and Machette was top 10 worst. He’s like a hyperactive 8 year old with a boner and an unlimited budget. It’s good to be Tarantino’s buddy I guess.[/quote]

You realize that the majority of his adult themed works are rather low budget in comparison to the majority of Hollywood films right?

So Sin City was shit eh? Guess I didn’t get the memo…

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Robert Rodriguez. Outside of From Dusk Til Dawn, El Mariachi and the other Grindhouse flick, EVERYTHING he’s done has been shit. Predators is probably the worst movie I’ve ever seen, and Machette was top 10 worst. He’s like a hyperactive 8 year old with a boner and an unlimited budget. It’s good to be Tarantino’s buddy I guess.[/quote]

You realize that the majority of his adult themed works are rather low budget in comparison to the majority of Hollywood films right?

So Sin City was shit eh? Guess I didn’t get the memo…[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything? I said “unlimited budget” in connection with being an 8 year old. You could give him a James Cameron budget and his movies would still be fucking terrible. And, he was only part director of Sin City. That was a joint effort, and that movie was based off a comic book. Stay faithful, get competent actors and you can’t fail. 90% of everything he’s done has been awful.

You’re buggin’.
Machete was hilarious.

I’m curious though, what directors do you people like?
This thread is a hater bonanza.
And I meant “you people” in the most offensive way you can imagine.

[quote]Simon Adebisi wrote:

For the record, M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay should not even be in this thread due to the fact that EVERYONE knows their careers are not to be taken seriously.

[/quote]

Yea, I think it’s first required that you are “rated” before you can be “overrated.”

I like: Tarantino, Scorsese, De Palma, Fincher, Rodriguez, Gilliam, Nolan, Blomkamp, Raimi, Eastwood, Coens, Roth, Kubrick, Smith, Romero, Ritchie, Affleck, Cronenberg, Zombie, Reitman, Wright, Boyle, and Synder. It’s a 99% guarantee I will like any films these gentlemen make.

I dislike: Cameron (Terminator films aside), Jackson, Uwe Boll, lucas, and Spielberg

I have to think further about this but I can start off with “I <3 Christopher Nolan”.
I never even liked Batman until I watched his movie.
And Inception is just beyond amazing… duh.

To expand on my list:

Ridley Scott.

I’m not totally gung-ho on the Coen Bros, but they’re good and they do a great range of genres. The fact that they can make The Ladykillers, No Country For Old Men and Burn After Reading… I find that pretty awesome.
As for Burn After Reading… not among my list of “Movies to Watch Again When Relaxing at Home”, but it was better than I thought it’d be.

EDIT:
I mean to expand on my list of the good directors =D

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Unlimited budget lol, not even close.

Lol it seems every good director is overrated.

But seriously Tarantino has got to be the most overrated. Nowadays his name is almost synonymous with ‘genius film maker.’ But he’s only made like 5 movies. Granted, Pulp Fiction is one the best cinematic works ever but you can’t qualify any Tarantino made movie simply on the fact it was made by Tarantino. You have to judge it on it’s own merit. Pretend like you don’t even know who the director is!

Well, you can’t base the quality of his career on the quantity of his output.
I’ve enjoyed watching all of his movies.
I really don’t know why people hate his movies so much.

On another note…
JIM JARMUSCH is a wonderful director.
Dead Man & Ghost Dog FTW.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
But he’s only made like 5 movies. [/quote]

Terrence Malick has only made 5 films. Can you argue he’s overrated?

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
Guillermo del Toro.

I know people love Blade and Hellboy. I like those movies too, although I do think that sequels were not necessary.
But the only movie I can get excited about that has his name attached to it is The Orphanage. And he just produced it. So I don’t know if that counts in this thread.

I just don’t think his work is that good to have “from the director of whatever” in a trailer.[/quote]

Cronos, The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinth, The Orphanage. Blade 2 and Hellboy were just money spinners. Every film in the list I’ve given is a four to five star job. The man is a serious, serious director.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
Guillermo del Toro.

I just don’t think his work is that good to have “from the director of whatever” in a trailer.[/quote]

Cronos, The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinth, The Orphanage. Blade 2 and Hellboy were just money spinners. Every film in the list I’ve given is a four to five star job. The man is a serious, serious director.

[/quote]

I think he should just stick to the creepy movies, it’s what he’s best at. I don’t like his fantasy-like work.
But I will retract my adding him to the list because I just remembered that Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark is coming out. It looks good (although the trailer is vague) but if he continues to mix the horror with the spinning of money (=D) then he indeed should not be considered overrated.