T Nation

Most Important Supps...

Hey guys, I am starting to lift again this summer with the intent to make lean gains. My diet is clean now and since I am a poor ass student I was wondering what supps are the most necessary for what I am looking to achieve since I am on a tight budget. In my mind it would go like:

Most important - post-workout supp

Second most important - weight gainer

Next - BCAA’s

Last - general protein or fish oil

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Protein is the most important. You could make lean gains without any supps as long as you are eating above your maintenance calorie level. Good luck!

If I could only take 1 supp, it would be fish oil.

Of the things you mentioned, weight gainer strikes me as being REALLY unimportant.

Whey, creatine, fish oil.

I would say Fish Oil is the most important because its the hardest to get sufficient amounts of from your diet. So supplementing it for all the many health/body comp benefits is important.

Protein and all of the amino acids can be easily achieved through diet. Thats not to say protein/amino supplements aren’t very convienent.

Wow, I am pretty surprised by your guys’ thoughts. I would have guaranteed everyone would say a good post-workout since so much is written on T-Nation about the importance of peri-workout nutrition and how if you have that right you could fuck up everything else and still make some gains.

My thinking is I am only 20 so fish oil can wait until I am out of school. I am looking to add mass so in that case Surge and BCAAs are most important ya?

It all depends on what you’re currently lacking in your diet, so it’s next to impossible for anyone to tell you the best products for you to use without knowing what you’re already putting in your body.

I’m sure you’ll get some good feedback if you tell us what you daily intake looks like.

[quote]MMAniac wrote:
Wow, I am pretty surprised by your guys’ thoughts. I would have guaranteed everyone would say a good post-workout since so much is written on T-Nation about the importance of peri-workout nutrition and how if you have that right you could fuck up everything else and still make some gains.

My thinking is I am only 20 so fish oil can wait until I am out of school. I am looking to add mass so in that case Surge and BCAAs are most important ya?[/quote]

protip: not everything written on T-Nation is gospel.

What are you eating? Post your diet. Adding mass is not dependent on the supplements you take. Its dependent on how many calories you eat.

[quote]MMAniac wrote:

My thinking is I am only 20 so fish oil can wait until I am out of school. I am looking to add mass so in that case Surge and BCAAs are most important ya?[/quote]

Like I said in my intial post. I don’t view Surge and BCAA’s as the MOST important supps because I can EASILY get my protein from my diet. The benefits of Fish Oil are harder to obtain through food.

Glutamine.

[quote]MMAniac wrote:

My thinking is I am only 20 so fish oil can wait until I am out of school. [/quote]

You think fish oil is only a good idea for old guys? Even baby food is now fortified with Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

I love Metabolic Drive and Surge, but never in the rest of will I give up a good fish oil supplement.

Do some research buddy.

I am 20 and I take fish oil. As to whether or not it’s the “most important” supplement, that’s hard to say.

People think Whey is expensive but it’s actually pretty cheap for what it offers. $1/25g of protein compares reasonably well with other protein sources (tuna, chicken breast). It lacks many of the benefits of whole food but it has great convenience factor.

Creatine is pretty much the cheapest shit you can buy so if you’re adding mass you might as well get it. $30 buys me a jug that will last pretty much all year.

I take fish oil. Thinking about a post workout drink…I can actually feel a difference after working out dependent on what I take in after…the idea of maximizing that post workout window makes sense.