T Nation

Most Important Pieces?

I'd like to know everyone's opinions on the most important parts of building your physique. Now of course the perfect spot would be equal attention to every aspect, but we don't all have the time, resources, etc. to do this. I'll throw out a few and you guys could also touch up on which you think actually matter, which don't. If you could bring along some evidence of say HIT training benefits or some shit like that, that'd be welcomed.

Throwing Training intensity, Gear usage, Hitting macros to a tee, Variety, and Strength based phases.

Old topic /close
Great Muscle Building Tips?

Depends on your level.

[quote]LiveFast390 wrote:
I’d like to know everyone’s opinions on the most important parts of building your physique.[/quote]
“Anything less than 100% compliance with attendance and effort is not conducive to reaching your goals. It takes NO TALENT and your GENETICS don’t matter in regard to attendance and effort.” - Jim Wendler.

“Exercise must be consistent to be effective. This is the first and foremost precept of physical conditioning. If there’s a secret, it’s consistency. Getting to the gym whether you want to or not, even for a short appearance, a salute or bow is vitally important to the health of your fitness lifestyle.” - Dave Draper.

I agree with those guys. If you’re talking about the “most important” parts of training, simply putting in your time for the loooooong haul absolutely trumps macros, splits, intensity, or whatever.

Consistency.

Just really hammering the basics.

biggest and strongest I’ve ever been. Coincidentally, this has been the most consistent I’ve ever been.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
biggest and strongest I’ve ever been. Coincidentally, this has been the most consistent I’ve ever been. [/quote]

me too. Weird how that works, eh?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]LiveFast390 wrote:
I’d like to know everyone’s opinions on the most important parts of building your physique.[/quote]
“Anything less than 100% compliance with attendance and effort is not conducive to reaching your goals. It takes NO TALENT and your GENETICS don’t matter in regard to attendance and effort.” - Jim Wendler.

“Exercise must be consistent to be effective. This is the first and foremost precept of physical conditioning. If there’s a secret, it’s consistency. Getting to the gym whether you want to or not, even for a short appearance, a salute or bow is vitally important to the health of your fitness lifestyle.” - Dave Draper.

I agree with those guys. If you’re talking about the “most important” parts of training, simply putting in your time for the loooooong haul absolutely trumps macros, splits, intensity, or whatever.[/quote]

Dan John has been known to say that showing up is the most important part of training, and life. I’ve yet known him to be wrong.

I’m with Jim…attendance and effort.

For me the most important aspects are consist attendance WITH effort in a progressive resistance based program of your choice.

Super-cliche-

NEVER GIVE UP.

=D
=D
=D

Not fearing injury, and being willing to work around/through injuries.

I agree with consistency. Also, progressive overload. Eating/sleeping right. You can’t go wrong if you do all that.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Consistency.

Just really hammering the basics.[/quote]

This. Most other seem to agree as well.

Apart from the basic lift/eat clean/sleep a lot, I remember reading a post from Jay Ferruggia that said :

• squat
  • pull
  • work overhead
  • carry
  • sprint/jump