Most Empowering Book You've Read...and Why?

The Art of War
The Dhammapada
Playing and Reality - D.W. Winnicott if your into psychoanalysis.

And anything by Kurt Vonnegut. Good writing with plenty of social commentary offered through a satirical introspect. If that makes any sense. He did it though and he’s a genius, and a second father to me because of it.

x2
The Alchemist
Man’s Search for Meaning
How to Win Friends and Influence People

SkyzykS, good looks.

Talent is overrated, Geoff Colvin

The Count of Monte Cristo.

This book has taught me more about how to live my life than any work of nonfiction.

I second the Ayn Rand suggestion. While there are some valid criticisms of her philosophy, personal life, and particular writing style, Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead are by far the most inspiring books I have ever read.

I like Atlas Shrugged better than The Fountainhead though, so I’ll recommend that.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Into the Wild by John Krakauer

Should help get you motivated, open your eyes to the potential that this world has to offer, and the fact that you should take advantage of it each and every second that you are alive.[/quote]

X2. In addition, it shows that you can make your own way without following the beaten path, and that although you may fail, the greatest failure is the fear of failing.

The first motivational book I ever read (I was 15 years old) was Arnold’s “The Education Of A Bodybuilder”.

More recently, and most profound reading for me is the Bible (mostly the New Testament gospels).

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson. The small seemingly insignificant choices we make each day add up and move our lives in a positive direction or a negative one. The small things matter more than anything else in life.

[quote]bignate wrote:
im surpised no one has suggested this:
the power of now, echart tolli or however spell it i have no clue but it has really helped this year. Its the premise that our mind likes to create a story of the past and future to control our self. If you can recognize this and lize for the present, focusing on enjoying right now, not when youre going to have fun down the line you will live a very satisfying life. I have put these practices into play, going out more, taking more risks for the present thrill and these past three months have been the best of my life.[/quote]

this is the one i was going to suggest. a new earth - awakening to your life’s purpose is the follow up by eckart tolle. it is eye opening and effective, to me at least. cut all the drama right out of my life. frees you from anxiety and connects you to life. if you’re ready for it, it is great. if not, it is confusing, i guess.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

[quote]sdjohn67 wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:
im surpised no one has suggested this:
the power of now, echart tolli or however spell it i have no clue but it has really helped this year. Its the premise that our mind likes to create a story of the past and future to control our self. If you can recognize this and lize for the present, focusing on enjoying right now, not when youre going to have fun down the line you will live a very satisfying life. I have put these practices into play, going out more, taking more risks for the present thrill and these past three months have been the best of my life.[/quote]

this is the one i was going to suggest. a new earth - awakening to your life’s purpose is the follow up by eckart tolle. it is eye opening and effective, to me at least. cut all the drama right out of my life. frees you from anxiety and connects you to life. if you’re ready for it, it is great. if not, it is confusing, i guess.[/quote]

dude it is the best thing yo do with your life i will share a story here:

the old me i.e four months and beyond ago, i would sit at home waiting for people to give me plans for something to do on a friday night, if it got to eight or so my mind woudl tell its not worth doing something now and its not even going to be fun. in reality i knew if i ended up going out it would be fun but the idea of it was not fun in my mind.

i stopped listening to this bullshit story my mind kept telling me and started hanging out with everyone anytime, this was a new me, i still focused on lifting and sleep and school work as number one prioties but i made time for fun in the present. I stopped think i will have fun when im older, no i said i wll have fun now and it happened!

im frollicing in life right now living the greatest life i can and it is just amazing. in fact last friday i woke up as the old me and knew that if i didnt force it out again i would get caugth in the bad cycle again, two hours later i had concentrated enough to force out those old me’s and i was back to enjoying life again to its fullest. You can read any book you want but you yourself is the only person that can change anything if you dont believe/want to change you wont no matter how many books youve read. i did all this before knowing about power of now, new world etc… i made the decision now the books.

good luck to all

isnt it kind of ironical that a book is telling you to go out and conquer the world?

the most empowering book i ever read was just a title

it said Books Are For Pussies Now Go Fuck Shit Up. good read.

[quote]viveDel781 wrote:
isnt it kind of ironical that a book is telling you to go out and conquer the world?

it said Books Are For Pussies Now Go Fuck Shit Up. good read. [/quote]

Books are for the mind what food is to the body

not that serious. someone asked a question and some people responded honestly. that is all. the drama is always unnecessary.

[quote]Jack Urboady wrote:

[quote]viveDel781 wrote:

Books are for the mind what food is to the body[/quote]

i think books are like cardio for the mind.

[quote]viveDel781 wrote:

[quote]Jack Urboady wrote:

[quote]viveDel781 wrote:

Books are for the mind what food is to the body[/quote]

i think books are like cardio for the mind. [/quote]

LOL! [although I disagree]

[quote]viveDel781 wrote:

I’m deeply saddened that there exist people who think like this.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

books are like squats for the mind

Im actually surprised someone brought up Eckardt Tolle. Figured the Oprah endorsement would make people think the pages were coated in estrogen…

I like A New Earth better than The Power of Now. Both are fantastic if you get it, and if you dont you should probably read it anyways for when the material hits you later. Or maybe you are just super in tune with the present moment and dont need it, but a more rigorous study of your perfection couldnt hurt for all you guys with 1000 lb internet squats and total enlightenment…

I am rereading this once finals are over to help me keep B School in perspective lol.

“Books are like a really high-density foam roller, and your mind is an overly tight iliotibial band.”
-William Shakespeare

“Your mind is an androgen receptor, and books have, like, really high androgen receptor affinity”
-Walter Krashen

“BOOKS…YEAAAAH!!”
-Geddy Lee

Ive also heard Fire in the Belly: On Being a Man by Sam Keen and The Way of the Superior Man by David Dieda are really good, but havent picked them up

“Rhinoceros Success” ~ Scott Alexander