Most Embarrassing Thing I've Seen in a Gym

I’m squatting today; I had 365 on the bar and I went to go get a drink from the fountain before doing the set. I come back not 30 seconds later and some dude is unloading the bar. I say “hey dude, still using that”. Unfortunately he has headphones on and can’t hear me. Even more unfortunately he’s decided to unload the 3 45s and the 25 from one side of the bar without taking any plates off the other.

He takes the last 45 off and the bar flies up narrowly missing his face, and dumping the weight off the other side. Loud noise, people staring, etc. He looks at me finally and I say “you can’t take all the plates off one side. Also I’m still in here. I need you to rerack the bar and load the weight back up for me”.

Then I walk away and start talking to one of my friends there, we’re kind of laughing, didn’t want to be too mean. So we’re looking at this guy, and he puts the empty bar back on the rack and starts loading weight back on it. On one side. I say to my friend “There’s no fucking way…no. fucking. way”. Yup. one 45…two 45s…3 45s. At this point my friend and I are both shouting, but again dude’s wearing headphones.

He starts to slide the 25 onto the bar and me and my friend are screaming at him and the dude looks over to us, as he pushes the 25 on…and the bar dumps and pegs him in the chest. Fortunately a trainer was there and she jumps on the unweighted side and throws some weight on to counterbalance it. To the dude’s credit he stuck around in another corner of the weight room working out for a while.

In retrospect I kind of feel bad for being blunt with him after he dumped the bar the first time. If I had known he would’ve done it a second time I probably would’ve cut him a break. Poor dude’s not having a good day.

Kill that man now.

If only…

Haha, wow.

Don’t feel bad, think of it as Bio-physical feedback. It hurt like hell, he won’t do it again.

He did wrong and you pointed this out to him, perhaps not in the friendliest way, but He did not learn, thats his fault. Furthermore, his lack of comprehension of basic physics could easily result in someone getting a serious injury. So don’t pussy foot around on this issue. Aplogies to your avatar.

I’ve seen clowns do this before, one put a long bar and 60K of plates out a window, another dropped as much on the ground from whence it bounced and struck a guy in the shin…which ended his workout on the spot.

I’ve seen a moron straddle the end of a bar just as the user of the bar started pulling a 250K deadlift.

There are times when a fatherly look of complete scorn and the expression ‘What the F*** is wrong with you?’ is the best you can do.

I’ve never seen that happen I think I’d freak out. I won’t take more than a 45 off each side at a time and never off the side away from some one else just in case it does flip. I can’t belive the lack of common sense here.

My favorite is when guys bench without using collars and the plates slide off one side followed by the other. Use to happen at my old gym, almost always happens when some kid is trying to half bench more than he can, and it never gets old, idiots.

I thought this thread was gonna contain pics of your ass.

just you wait til I get home…

This is why I work out at home. My own rack, my weights and no idiots, accept me :smiley:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
I’m squatting today; I had 365 on the bar and I went to go get a drink from the fountain before doing the set. I come back not 30 seconds later and some dude is unloading the bar. I say “hey dude, still using that”. Unfortunately he has headphones on and can’t hear me. Even more unfortunately he’s decided to unload the 3 45s and the 25 from one side of the bar without taking any plates off the other.

He takes the last 45 off and the bar flies up narrowly missing his face, and dumping the weight off the other side. Loud noise, people staring, etc. He looks at me finally and I say “you can’t take all the plates off one side. Also I’m still in here. I need you to rerack the bar and load the weight back up for me”.

Then I walk away and start talking to one of my friends there, we’re kind of laughing, didn’t want to be too mean. So we’re looking at this guy, and he puts the empty bar back on the rack and starts loading weight back on it. On one side. I say to my friend “There’s no fucking way…no. fucking. way”. Yup. one 45…two 45s…3 45s. At this point my friend and I are both shouting, but again dude’s wearing headphones.

He starts to slide the 25 onto the bar and me and my friend are screaming at him and the dude looks over to us, as he pushes the 25 on…and the bar dumps and pegs him in the chest. Fortunately a trainer was there and she jumps on the unweighted side and throws some weight on to counterbalance it. To the dude’s credit he stuck around in another corner of the weight room working out for a while.

In retrospect I kind of feel bad for being blunt with him after he dumped the bar the first time. If I had known he would’ve done it a second time I probably would’ve cut him a break. Poor dude’s not having a good day. [/quote]

The most embarrassing thing you’ve ever seen in a gym is your ass in the mirror of the women’s room.

But seriously, come on. You’re full of shit, right? NO ONE could be that stupid.

A while ago there was a woman that wanted to use the hack squat machine . The sled was unloaded but there were 3 45s on either side of each leg, on the “spare” plates pegs.

She got on, did one rep, then got off. I saw her take one of the 45s off, so I thought “Wow! Good for her…it was obviously too light for her (it was an empty sled) and she’s going to put a 45 on either side!”

But she put the 45s away on a weight tree nearby.

Then she got on again (remember…still nothing on the hack sled) did one rep, got off and put another of the 45s that were on the pins attached to the leg away on that weight tree.

She again did one more rep, found it still too difficult… took the final 45s off the pins and did one more rep before walking away.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

In retrospect I kind of feel bad for being blunt with him after he dumped the bar the first time. If I had known he would’ve done it a second time I probably would’ve cut him a break. Poor dude’s not having a good day. [/quote]

The most embarrassing thing you’ve ever seen in a gym is your ass in the mirror of the women’s room.

But seriously, come on. You’re full of shit, right? NO ONE could be that stupid.[/quote]

Absolutely happened. If it had been one day earlier I would’ve had my phone with me to record it, as I was filming a couple deadlift pr attempts.

Anybody who has made their way to 3 plates that require racking has done this…Shit i’ve done several times just form lapsing in judgement etc. I’ve heard of leg presses tipping and shit so i’m sure it gets worse. What usually makes it catastrophic is the mirrors.

I’ve done that stupid thing - Once!!

Back to back = darwin award

My favorite is when guys bench without using collars and the plates slide off one side followed by the other. Use to happen at my old gym, almost always happens when some kid is trying to half bench more than he can, and it never gets old, idiots.

i do that on purpose. it means it is easier to roll the bar off me so i’m not pinned for too long if i fail. if i can’t bench it symmetrical enough to keep the weights on the bar… i don’t deserve to get the rep either…

[quote]alexus wrote:

i do that on purpose. it means it is easier to roll the bar off me so i’m not pinned for too long if i fail. if i can’t bench it symmetrical enough to keep the weights on the bar… i don’t deserve to get the rep either…[/quote]

I was thinking that. I never use the collars and I’ve never had a problem with being level. I train at home and leave them off in case I need to escape if i get pinned.

[quote]alexus wrote:

i do that on purpose. it means it is easier to roll the bar off me so i’m not pinned for too long if i fail. if i can’t bench it symmetrical enough to keep the weights on the bar… i don’t deserve to get the rep either…[/quote]

~1:55

[quote]dirtman wrote:
This is why I work out at home. My own rack, my weights and no idiots, accept me :D[/quote]

All right, I’ll accept you.

Well, at least he wasn’t the typical gym doosh who doesn’t give a fuck that you were still using it and proceeded to do some curls anyway without reracking your weights. But man, his stupidity mixed with gym equipment is a lawsuit waiting to happen.