T Nation

Most Devastating Show Kill Offs (Spoilers)


OK the most heart wrenching gut tearing eye watering moments of tv history where a character got killed off.

My top 3

  1. Boadie from the wire LIKE A SOLDIER BOII

  2. Oapie from Sons of anarchy, went out protecting his brothers after being the most likeable and tortured member of the show

1 Jimmy Darmody from boardwalk empire, fucking gutted when this happened, tortured veteran, kind hearted, mother fucker in the literal sense, father killer in the literal sense, brilliant character and probably my favorite person from any film or TV show ever.

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
OK the most heart wrenching gut tearing eye watering moments of tv history where a character got killed off.

My top 3

  1. Boadie from the wire LIKE A SOLDIER BOII

  2. Oapie from Sons of anarchy, went out protecting his brothers after being the most likeable and tortured member of the show

1 Jimmy Darmody from boardwalk empire, fucking gutted when this happened, tortured veteran, kind hearted, mother fucker in the literal sense, father killer in the literal sense, brilliant character and probably my favorite person from any film or TV show ever.[/quote]

The Jimmy kill off was tough but so necessary, the really great shows are never afraid to kill off a great character. This is why shows like “True Blood” will suffer as they are afraid to off anyone of any importance. So your left with the show going in all kinds of directions with different storylines.

Kinard taking out Omar was another great one as well. “The Wire” was rare in that there were soo many great characters and it was one of the few shows that could totally minimize what you would consider the main character(Jimmy Mcnulty) for an entire season and it still be successful.

  1. That one character from the first book and season of Game of Thrones who i will not name.
  2. Dale from the walking dead.
  3. Kate Todd from NCIS

Honoorable mentions from other media

Videogames
1.Dominic Santiago- gears of war 3
2.John Marston- red dead redemption
3. Deckard Cain- Diablo 3

Comics

  1. Detective Hartigan-sin city
  2. Marv-Sin City

Literature

  1. Beowulf
  2. A couple of guy from 1 on tv’s close family members.- A storm of swords

[quote]Hell-Billy wrote:

  1. That one character from the first book and season of Game of Thrones who i will not name.
  2. Dale from the walking dead.
  3. Kate Todd from NCIS

Honoorable mentions from other media

Videogames
1.Dominic Santiago- gears of war 3
2.John Marston- red dead redemption
3. Deckard Cain- Diablo 3

Comics

  1. Detective Hartigan-sin city
  2. Marv-Sin City

Literature

  1. Beowulf
  2. A couple of guy from 1 on tv’s close family members.- A storm of swords

[/quote]

Man, I was happy when they killed Dale, that fat old bastard got on my nerves every time he opened his mouth.

Criminal Minds- Hotchners wife. Not a main character but, she was killed while he listened on the phone.

Futurama- Fry’s Dog Seymour. To this day I have seen that episode once. That whole episode is fucking brutal.

Maybe not most devastating, but one that made me gasp, Dexter’s wife

Omar killing > Boadie killing

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Criminal Minds- Hotchners wife. Not a main character but, she was killed while he listened on the phone.
[/quote]

Yeah, that scene was very emotional and I even shed a tear. Probably one of the best episodes of the entire series.

I would have to say…

The Vampire Diaries - Anna, the teenage vampire that befriended Jeremy, and Jenna, Elena and Jeremy’s aunt.

Criminal Minds - Emily Prentis, although they hinted and later confirmed in later episodes that she faked her death. Not sure if this counts or not.

Everwood - Irv at the series finale. I really liked that guy!

[quote]Hell-Billy wrote:

  1. That one character from the first book and season of Game of Thrones who i will not name.
  2. Dale from the walking dead.
  3. Kate Todd from NCIS

Honoorable mentions from other media

Videogames
1.Dominic Santiago- gears of war 3
2.John Marston- red dead redemption
3. Deckard Cain- Diablo 3

Comics

  1. Detective Hartigan-sin city
  2. Marv-Sin City

Literature

  1. Beowulf
  2. A couple of guy from 1 on tv’s close family members.- A storm of swords

[/quote]

They killed Deckard Cain?! I’m glad I didn’t get D3 then.

For Walking Dead, they should have killed off that bald old lady instead of Dale. No way anyone in her family should have survived the initial outbreak if zombies were real.
For the Video game version of Walking Dead: Carly and that dude that looks like the Half Life player character, but it had to happen since the series is about everyone dying.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Futurama- Fry’s Dog Seymour. To this day I have seen that episode once. That whole episode is fucking brutal.[/quote]

This…the only sadder moment in all of TV history is when Will’s real father visits him and then abandons him again on Fresh Prince…cold

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Futurama- Fry’s Dog Seymour. To this day I have seen that episode once. That whole episode is fucking brutal.[/quote]

Oh no not “Jurassic Bark”!!! Is it fucked up that the death of an animated dog affected me more than any human tragedy I’d ever seen on TV or film?

To add to the list, Gustavo Fring from Breaking Bad. He was probably my favourite TV character of all time.

[quote]Eazy wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
OK the most heart wrenching gut tearing eye watering moments of tv history where a character got killed off.

My top 3

  1. Boadie from the wire LIKE A SOLDIER BOII

  2. Oapie from Sons of anarchy, went out protecting his brothers after being the most likeable and tortured member of the show

1 Jimmy Darmody from boardwalk empire, fucking gutted when this happened, tortured veteran, kind hearted, mother fucker in the literal sense, father killer in the literal sense, brilliant character and probably my favorite person from any film or TV show ever.[/quote]

The Jimmy kill off was tough but so necessary, the really great shows are never afraid to kill off a great character. This is why shows like “True Blood” will suffer as they are afraid to off anyone of any importance. So your left with the show going in all kinds of directions with different storylines.

Kinard taking out Omar was another great one as well. “The Wire” was rare in that there were soo many great characters and it was one of the few shows that could totally minimize what you would consider the main character(Jimmy Mcnulty) for an entire season and it still be successful.

[/quote]

Yeah even though i hated jimmy being killed it was the best episode of drama ever, it was perfect from acting to soundtrack to dialogue in that episode, the only bad thing about it was that it happened.

However with boardwalk empire there are no other good characters apart from jimmies friend, the show does not make you care about anyone else.

So where the wire had multiple heroes on both sides of the story, boardwalk has made the main protagonist the villain and you now actively route against nucky.

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:

[quote]Eazy wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
OK the most heart wrenching gut tearing eye watering moments of tv history where a character got killed off.

My top 3

  1. Boadie from the wire LIKE A SOLDIER BOII

  2. Oapie from Sons of anarchy, went out protecting his brothers after being the most likeable and tortured member of the show

1 Jimmy Darmody from boardwalk empire, fucking gutted when this happened, tortured veteran, kind hearted, mother fucker in the literal sense, father killer in the literal sense, brilliant character and probably my favorite person from any film or TV show ever.[/quote]

The Jimmy kill off was tough but so necessary, the really great shows are never afraid to kill off a great character. This is why shows like “True Blood” will suffer as they are afraid to off anyone of any importance. So your left with the show going in all kinds of directions with different storylines.

Kinard taking out Omar was another great one as well. “The Wire” was rare in that there were soo many great characters and it was one of the few shows that could totally minimize what you would consider the main character(Jimmy Mcnulty) for an entire season and it still be successful.

[/quote]

Yeah even though i hated jimmy being killed it was the best episode of drama ever, it was perfect from acting to soundtrack to dialogue in that episode, the only bad thing about it was that it happened.

However with boardwalk empire there are no other good characters apart from jimmies friend, the show does not make you care about anyone else.

So where the wire had multiple heroes on both sides of the story, boardwalk has made the main protagonist the villain and you now actively route against nucky.
[/quote]

Richard is a great character and i think Boardwalk is just kind of getting started so there will be plenty of time to judge. I think Terrance Winter has learned a lot from what he did wrong with “The Sopranos” even though i hate his love of the dream sequences i think its pretty well written.

I think what may hold back it having more of a mass appeal is simply the time period that it takes place, i’m just not sure the honey boo boo society of today can understand a well written program anymore.

Lastly, the problem is you can’t possibly compare anything to “The Wire” it was IMO the most satisfying and well written show ever. Basically watching “The Wire” ruined watching television for me because everything else seemed distant to its genius. Every episode of that show mattered and were important in some way, you just don’t have that anymore.

Ending of first season of Game of Thrones. Totally shocked me even though it shouldn’t have. This would be #1 if I’d had more than 9 episodes to get involved with the character in question.

Lem getting a grenade dropped in his lap by one of his best friends in The Shield. Easily the worst one I’ve seen, though I haven’t watched every season of The Wire yet.

M.A.S.H.–Henry Blake.

I’d go with Hector Williams from The Unit. Killed off by a sniper in the last 2 min. of the episode after a seemingly successful mission. I’ll second Gus Fring and add Mike from Breaking Bad, even though the show was heading that way for a while. Henry Blake from MASH easily my #1.

Henry Blake

Amber from House…

OH AND

Nephrite from Sailor Moon sob

Firefly. Killing off the whole fucking show, that is.

Lem from the Shield.