Most Cheaty Sumo Deadlifters

Are ur leverages good for any of the lifts in particular or kinda balanced. Ur arms don’t look particularly short.

This thread was inspired by a fuck around sesh I had where I tried standing as wide as I could. I think I can push it all the way out for maximum cheating with a little mobility work and practice. Doesn’t feel half bad lol

I don’t use this style. With a history of lumbar problems including a herniated disc, I use a more quad-dominant style: high-bar, shoulder-width stance, in heeled lifting shoes, more like Olympic lifters use in training. I was commenting more on how amazing it is that someone could have a 6-inch ROM squat, and how some might view that as “cheaty,” though not actually cheating. That said, if your anthropometry is right, yeah, I’m guessing Tate’s suggestions would help you move heavier weights.

1 Like

I see. Just curious because it’s my understanding is not as simple as < ROM more weight lifted. Maybe at the extreme end like u describe but some cases may be impossible so more about principles like joint stacking, balancing work across muscle groups and shit

Yeah, shorter ROM usually results in more poundage, but it’s not an absolute. For instance, I have long arms, which you would think would mean a wider grip would serve me better in the bench press, as that would result in a shorter bar path. But for whatever reason, I am stronger with a narrower grip, with my hands just outside my shoulders. It just “feels right,” and I can move the most weight with my hands in that position, even thought this requires me to move the bar through a longer distance that would a wider hand placement.

I’m similar. There was an explanation I can’t across once but I forget it now maybe shoulder tightness or other engagement better with close grip or tricep/delts are strong

If anything, they’re a slight advantage for squatting because my legs are long. Not ideal for deadlifting but not the end of the world. Your deadlift is ridiculously fast, especially using a different stance than you’re used to. Nice work :metal:

Is only like 80% 1RM and my cues stay same as I go wider. Is worth a good experiment at least to see if it feels better especially at heavier weights

1 Like

Dam surprised I didn’t make the initial cut. 74" arm span and 68" tall

3 Likes

Consider Lamar Gant deadlifting 672 at 132 bodyweight (5 x bodyweight!). he had scoliosis which meant his spine would bend like crazy giving him a definite advantage when it came to range of motion.
lamar-gant-deadliftlamargant1

Sorry man ur only 9/10 cheating. ROM too much

1 Like

Stuart Jamieson took gants raw record a little while ago. Similar proportions funny enough

More proof that the 270 you’ve been looking for this whole time is yours, hungover and without a warmup.

1 Like

Gyms open again where I’m at in like 2 weeks then it’ll be back into calibrated plates. Thought I’d have until August/September with the bumper plates so 270 probs not gonna happen during the lockdown. Gonna just fuck around with wide stance sumo for next few weeks I think

I’ll be working to hit it on calibrated plates though and then back to bumpers for road to 300.

Why do calibrated plates v. bumper plates make a difference in terms of deadlifting? Don’t they both put the bar at the same distance from the ground? I know the calibrated plates are much thinner (and presumably more precise hence the name), but assumed they both allowed for the same stance and degree of flexion.

Weight distributed further out on the sleeve/bar with bumpers vs calibrated plates = more whip = more weight pulled if that is of benefit to your style. Is physics longer moment arm

Are you using a Texas deadlift bar too? That’s supposed to be the one with the most whip.

Isa StrongArm Sport deadlift bar. Have used Rogue and Texas as well and they all whip well. Maybe more to do with the age of the bar or how much use it’s got I think

Might go big this coming week and give the new wider sumo stance a go at higher %s. Combined with the extra whip from bumpers and heavier weight should be fun. Also depends on if I can get some friends to help out with some thinner plates because 4 big phat 25kg bumpers is all I can fit currently. If things all align we’ll see how much whip we get outa 270kg.

1 Like

Mostly posting as a humble brag, having hit a PR, but also since switching to a more extreme sumo stance a few weeks ago technique has become much harder to maintain and execute well.

Knee lockout, balance and keeping open hips is tough to put together but when it does come together it is pretty cheaty. So the the good old sumo is more technical does seem to ring true.

4 Likes

This guy is locking out at the knees conventional. Someone teach him how to pull wide sumo pls

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAn1XkcAlTi/?igshid=1vu2wpirjzwkx

His arms are longer than my legs