T Nation

Most Challenging Thing When You Began O Lifts?

Asking this since I got a good squat ROM but meh deadlift and horrid pressing. And it is severely highlighted now that I got some coaching

Also having a hard time correctly cleaning the bar, deadlift+explosive shrug+elbows up+jump+ go under the bar+front squat in half a second? I mean I can't even jump rope correctly because my hands and legs aren't doing the same thing lol. Sucky sucky coordination. I found the snatch much easier /:

I also just read an article from Dan john that says he started O lifting after 6 years doing "normal routines". He wishes (just like i do) that he learnt the Bulgarian way, instead of changing/fixing patterns.

[quote]tontongg wrote:
Asking this since I got a good squat ROM but meh deadlift and horrid pressing. And it is severely highlighted now that I got some coaching

Also having a hard time correctly cleaning the bar, deadlift+explosive shrug+elbows up+jump+ go under the bar+front squat in half a second? I mean I can’t even jump rope correctly because my hands and legs aren’t doing the same thing lol. Sucky sucky coordination. I found the snatch much easier /:

I also just read an article from Dan john that says he started O lifting after 6 years doing “normal routines”. He wishes (just like i do) that he learnt the Bulgarian way, instead of changing/fixing patterns.[/quote]

Good news, if you are executing a clean snatch, you are way more capable than you think. It is a considerably more complicated lift from a technical standpoint.

In the long run horrid pressing might be a god-send. Coming from a traditional meathead/powerlifter background, I tried to press and muscle all my jerks. It took a long time to overcome this relying on speed of change in direction from drop/drive of jerk.

Keep working with your coach man.