Most Bizarre Food You Ever Had?

The only unusual thing I can claim is beaver kebabs. A little tough and rubbery, but it was seasoned well, and not gamey at all.

Caribou steak is incredible, though apparently that’s only the barrens type, not woodland.

Dolphin (Okinawa, Japan). Very tough and gristly.

I’ve had several dishes made from bat on different South Pacific islands…pretty tasty.

After visiting a friend for a nice little lunch (this was Brazil circa 2004) her hubby, a notorious prankster, burst into the room with a covered plate. Having heard about his penchant for spiking food with incredibly hot pimenta, I was initially skeptical of eating anything he offered, but the smell was so heavenly I couldn’t resist.

It looked like small slices of a gray-yellow cooked meat, and the taste was not dissimilar to a chicken nugget. I ate a good portion, and after I inquired as to what the mystery meat was.

Ram testicles. Motherfucker fed me ram testicles for lunch. What can I say? They were delicious. I even had a second helping.

head cheese
chicken feet
iguana
other stuff I can’t recall. My local rod and gun club puts on a wild game dinner once or twice a year. Fun stuff!

X wife was the worst.

Recursive Pizza.

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
One time I was fed some whale penis but didn’t know at the time. [/quote]

The whale was still alive and attached to it. You knew. LOL

But seriously, is it that they didn’t tell you what it was or you ordered and didn’t realize what you had ordered? Just curious.
[/quote]

I was expecting someone to say I had it fed to me but upp my ass. But alas, no.

I had it at a seafood restaurant and some of my adult students were out with me and they ordered it and didn’t tell me till I’d eaten some. It wasn’t a whole big dick on a plate, it was slices and actually looked like circular clices of mozarella!

when I tried balute the waitress said “dis make you dik like steel, you fuk looong time!” I think “fuk” is tagalog for “puke till your toenails come up”. I’ve tried it since then and I must have got a bad one the first time although I’m not sure how you can tell the difference.
I like haggis. the more scotch you drink the better it tastes.
had bat in the Seychelles. it was good.
monkey in Kenya was good.
although not really weird I love horse meat in a red wine gravy.
the best shis-ka-bob I’ve ever had was in Iran in the 70’s. I asked the waiter what type of meat it was. he couldn’t understand english so I went “baaa”. he got a smile and went “woof! woof!”. I had 2nd’s and 3rd’s.

Haggis is mostly just chopped liver, so it is delicious.

Once in a Chinese restaurant I thought I was eating scrambled eggs and bean sprouts. Delicious! until I noticed my “bean sprouts” had eyes…

Speaking of century eggs, my neighbors growing up were recent immigrants and took to prepping this delicacy by burying large numbers of eggs in their backyard. Long story short, it wasn’t long before rats discovered this and swarmed the whole street. The health department had to come out eventually to clean up the mess (and tell the people to stop burying eggs in the ground, lol).

[quote]AlisaV wrote:

Once in a Chinese restaurant I thought I was eating scrambled eggs and bean sprouts. Delicious! until I noticed my “bean sprouts” had eyes…
[/quote]

I’ve had that happen a couple of times. Little fish right?

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]AlisaV wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve had that happen a couple of times. Little fish right?
[/quote]

Anchovies? or as some in Malaysia/Indonesia call it Ikan Bilis? This is usually used as a garnish for selected meals here.

Bittergoud, bitter melon - maybe it’s okay as a vegetable but takes on a whole new element when you juice it.

When I was in Korea, this Army guy wanted me to try these 5 different types of hard liquor. After I took them he had the bartender show me the bottles. Each of the bottles had a different animal that was preserved in them. There was a some kind of lizard, a snake, a fish, a bird and a rat.

Also while I was there there was one of those machines on the street where you put some money in and the little crane hand would go down and you try and grab a prize. Well for the is game the prize was a live lobster. I never won so I am not sure how it tasted, just thought that it was a strange item to win.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Never had it, but they sell canned cheeseburgers.[/quote]

LOL. Canned burgers? No wonder the Candwich never got off the ground; the idea was already taken.

while in iceland, our host asked us to do a shot of Reyka Vodka followed by icelandic shark (Hakarl) on a toothpick. That shit is disgusting. It’s cured underground for 6 months.

When I was stationed in South Korea I had fried silkworms and grilled cat. Cat is sweet, but stringy. I’ve had cricket tacos before, insects are pretty bland IMO.