Most Annoying Things?

Since i trained mostly at a garage gym all my life and had training partners who knew how to train and spot properly, i had never experienced this.

Every time i ask someone to spot me on an exercise (which is getting less often)they automatically help me lift every rep. For example i was doing triples on the bench, i ask a guy to spot for my last set politely, and he did.

I asked if he would help me unrack it, (that’s all) and that i should get 3 reps. He unracks the bar poorly, and keeps his hands on the bar. I do one aided rep, stoped at lock out for a while and asked him to move his hands from the bar, he didn’t. I done another aided rep and racked the bar.

I was soo pissed off inside but said thank you. He said i was just making sure you didn’t hurt yourself.

The funny thing is people do this all the time, and other gym users have the spotter doing heavy shrugs.

Do people not understand the concept of training these days, the person doing the exercise should be lifting it not the spotter.

Anyone else have any stories to share?

I often spot people in the gym. The problem is, so many people have a different mind set of what spotting is and should be. I never know what the person wants.

I spot one guy and never touch the bar, I spot another guy and I am struggling to help him on his first rep. I dont know if they are overloading the bar, or can handle the weight, and things like this usually dont get laid out before the lift. The most I usually get out is “do you need help unracking?”

From your story though, it sounds like the guys were tools. I mean if you tell them to take their hands off the bar, what more needs to be said?

[quote]superscience wrote:
Since i trained mostly at a garage gym all my life and had training partners who knew how to train and spot properly, i had never experienced this.

Every time i ask someone to spot me on an exercise (which is getting less often)they automatically help me lift every rep. For example i was doing triples on the bench, i ask a guy to spot for my last set politely, and he did.

I asked if he would help me unrack it, (that’s all) and that i should get 3 reps. He unracks the bar poorly, and keeps his hands on the bar. I do one aided rep, stoped at lock out for a while and asked him to move his hands from the bar, he didn’t. I done another aided rep and racked the bar.

I was soo pissed off inside but said thank you. He said i was just making sure you didn’t hurt yourself.

The funny thing is people do this all the time, and other gym users have the spotter doing heavy shrugs.

Do people not understand the concept of training these days, the person doing the exercise should be lifting it not the spotter.

Anyone else have any stories to share?[/quote]

Mate this is my pet hate. I almost dread benching because i ALWAYS end up with a guy who wants to lift every rep i even remotely struggle with. I like to 1-5 reps for my last couple of sets and need a spotter. But it’s pointless because these guys are always all over the bar…even though i always clearly explain what i want from them: “Only touch the bar when i call you.”

There’s little more annoying than the guys who try to insist you could have done an extra rep or 2. Of course i fucking could because you were lifting the fucker for me! I just hate the whole “Cheers for that mate” whilst inside i’m thinking what a dick! Your caught between the devil and the deep blue sea becuase you can’t lift without a spotter if you’re really pushing yourself becuase you’ll just end up hurting yourself.

I’ve been at my gym since september and can recall only 2 good spotters. The first cut me off as i was explianing what i wanted…“Yeah mate dont worry im not touching the bar unless you ask me.” He spotted as he promised…great stuff. The next guy was good in a backward kind of way. He wasn’t even paying attention and when i could barely get the last rep off my chest i had to scream at him to take the bar. I actually laughed about it and felt better than if he’d have started taking the weight for me like every other guy.

It’s hilarious that people in England call each other mate.

lol! I know what you mean.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
It’s hilarious that people in England call each other mate.[/quote]

Mate, it’s just like saying dude or buddy!