T Nation

Most Annoying Gym Experience Ever

so apparantly my gym adopted a new weight lifting aerobics class. but instead of bringing dumbells and what not in to the aerobics room, the class does 30 minutes of cardio and then swarms the weight section in droves, and like locusts on a wheat field, these soccer moms devour the weight stations with no gym etiquette at all.

i suppose they feel that since they are in a class, they don’t have to share the weights in the general weight room with other paying members?

they time their lifting so when suzie my husband works so i don’t have to is done with leg press, anna i’m lazy and fat but feel good going to the gym once a week is done with curls in the squat rack and they switch.

half the time, they aren’t even lifting, but standing in place and talking about everything from leaky faucets their “lazy husbands” havn’t fixed (who are at work paying all the bills so their fat wives can complain), to jimmy’s math teacher to the dog shitting in the kitchen, and they won’t budge if you ask to use the weights! they respond,“uh, we are not done yet.” then continue talking for five to ten minutes before doing any lifting.

you really have to watch these ladies and jump in on what you need the second a group finishes. the catty stares are incredible and so are the forced smiles and fake you are welcomes after sappily thanking them for allowing you to work in.

and the worst part, the gym managers and owners don’t even care! it is fucking ridiculous. i wonder what they would think if i walked in to the center of an aerobics class in the aerobics room and began deadlifting or powercleaning?

Why should the gym manager care? Those aerobics hens prepaid their memberships. A buck is a buck.

This should be a message to you that you need to find a better place to train at. There’s no way you could be making maximum progress at a place like that!

[quote]texasguy wrote:

they time their lifting so when suzie my husband works

[/quote]

The first time I read this, I thought you had a husband named Suzie who works at the gym.

But yeah, they should at least teach them some etiquette. The manager has to cater to them because they will get more moo cows from the rotary club or coffee morning group to sign up, prepay memberships, and never come back. It sucks I know, but that’s business.

Explain to them how rude they’re being, and there is such a thing called “gym etiquette”.

They probably, seriously didn’t know about it, and it would make them look like the bad guy, and not you for asking to share the equipment.

They’ll still probably give you the I’m-better-than-you look, but if you tell them firmly that they should be sharing the equipment just like anyone else, I’m sure you’ll get your sets in.

The first question you ask when you want to work in could be something like “Are you about to start your next set, or can I jump in while you’re both resting?”

Or act like you’ve been using the machine before them and say something like:

“I don’t mind if you work in, but I just have 3 sets left, and my trainer wants me to keep my rests short.”

You’re screwed, pal.

They started doing this at the gym we squat at and we can’t go in there earlier than 11:30 or else it is exactly what you described.

I have literally waited half an hour for a rack b/c 3 DFB’s were occupying the only two racks doing some ridiculous shit on stability balls using the safety pins for hand holds. They did a set about every 5-7 minutes depending on breaks in conversation.

It was the closest I have ever come in a gym to just wringing people’s necks like chickens. When I see the one whom I asked how much longer they would be using the racks and she told me in a shitty tone “we just started so it will be a while,” I still fantasize about grabbing her by the head and twirling her around like a helocopter blade to the satisfying crunch of snapping vertebrae.

The facilities make money doing this and the people they are “training” are basically self-absorbed and clueless.

Having a little chat with them will net you absolutely zero due to pack mentality and a sense of entitlement b/c they are with a trainer, or have just come from a facility lead training event.

Bottom line, they are without shame.

Just avoid the place when you know they are out in force or find a new gym.

If a simple grunt and an ice cold stare is not enough to get them to scurry away in fear, you are not training hard enough.

FIND A NEW GYM!!!

[quote]texasguy wrote:

and the worst part, the gym managers and owners don’t even care! it is fucking ridiculous. i wonder what they would think if i walked in to the center of an aerobics class in the aerobics room and began deadlifting or powercleaning?[/quote]

Dude, you don’t have a hair on your ass if you don’t walk right into the aerobics room in the middle of their class and start doing powercleans. Nice and loud, too and with lots of chalk. That would be classic! Please, please video tape it if you do it. If you are planning to find another gym, why not go out in style? You would be a T-Legend.

next time just drag a bar and plates over to some free space and deadlift

I’d start wearing very dark glasses and use a white cane ala a blind person. Then when they invade, start doing your snatches and/or cleans.

That should keep them away and if not, they’ll get fucked up by the bar and you’ll be innocent because you are “blind”.

Plus, if any if them are MILF-alicious, you can cop an “innocent” feel.

Get an “Aerobics is/are for fat chicks.” T-shirt and wear it when you train.

haha! some funny responsed.

yeah, every last one of these bitches are cetainly pieces of work. i had been going to the gym at 5:30 in the morning, but decided to wait til 7:30 to avoid the pre-work crowd, probably the bitches husbands. 7:30 was great, right around the time i was finishing up the yuppies and these chicks would come in. now, with summer around the corner, they have introduced this new class even earlier to fit the schedule, and the yuppies bring their fat friends who are convinced they will whip themselves in to shape in a month and a half.

i guess it’s back to 5:30.

i do butt in on them, i tried being polite but caught attitude, so now i just cut in and sarcastically thank them when i’m done. i did ask one lady, a ringleader of sorts who usually has smart ass remarks when i hop on a station, if she was planning on at least curling in the squat rack or if she was just going work on her jaw line all morning. i got a warning from the manager.

and to top it off, when i tire out on a set they now chuckle, as if it offends me to be spiteful. like i’m weak because i pushed myself to exhaustion. it makes me want to ask the trainer in charge why they should be paying him if he doesn’t even teach them basic lifting mechanics.

i would switch gyms, but i’m in college in a small town and it’s the only one besides the school gym, which doesn’t open til like 9:00.

so, for now, i’m stuck. maybe before i graduate i’ll deadlift in an aerobics class. i’ll try to blow a super loud fart during a set too. and i’ll see if i can get it filmed.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
they time their lifting so when suzie my husband works so i don’t have to is done with leg press, anna i’m lazy and fat but feel good going to the gym once a week is done with curls in the squat rack and they switch.
[/quote]

Anybody else get this?

After a protien shake and some hard boiled eggs…you could do a drive by. (fart)

That usally empties the place out of aerobics folks.

[quote]diesel25 wrote:
texasguy wrote:

Anybody else get this?[/quote]

I believe it should be something like So when Suzie “My husband works so I don’t have to” is done with leg press, Anna “I’m lazy and fat but feel good going to the gym once a week” is done with curls in the squat rack and they switch. It took me a few times reading to understand.

[quote]derek wrote:
I’d start wearing very dark glasses and use a white cane ala a blind person. Then when they invade, start doing your snatches and/or cleans.

That should keep them away and if not, they’ll get fucked up by the bar and you’ll be innocent because you are “blind”.

Plus, if any if them are MILF-alicious, you can cop an “innocent” feel.[/quote]

Best fucking all around plan. It handles the situation from several angles.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
diesel25 wrote:
texasguy wrote:

Anybody else get this?

I believe it should be something like So when Suzie “My husband works so I don’t have to” is done with leg press, Anna “I’m lazy and fat but feel good going to the gym once a week” is done with curls in the squat rack and they switch. It took me a few times reading to understand.[/quote]

Thanks Man! I knew it was english but after flipping my monitor over and trying to read it in a mirror I gave up.

No Offense, Texasguy :slight_smile: A surprising number of us muscleheads are picky about grammar. Go Figure.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
scottiscool wrote:
diesel25 wrote:
texasguy wrote:

Anybody else get this?

I believe it should be something like So when Suzie “My husband works so I don’t have to” is done with leg press, Anna “I’m lazy and fat but feel good going to the gym once a week” is done with curls in the squat rack and they switch. It took me a few times reading to understand.

Thanks Man! I knew it was english but after flipping my monitor over and trying to read it in a mirror I gave up.

No Offense, Texasguy :slight_smile: A surprising number of us muscleheads are picky about grammar. Go Figure.[/quote]

it’s cool. i wasn’t using quotes because the descriptions were intended as last names. it wouldn’t be proper to put parenthesis around a last name.