T Nation

Mosquito Control?

Training in my yard is beginning to really suck. The mosquitos are already horrendous. Anyone have those Mosquito Magnet things that uses a propane tank and CO2 to attract and net mosquitos? I’m thinking about splurging and getting one but can anyone give me any recommendations?

Those things work, but you must put them far away from where you plan on being, and it doesn’t guarantee that they won’t still pester you. Plus they’re not that cheap and you must continually have it on to work properly. I’d say, if it doesn’t bother you, use OFF or other insect repelant. It’s cheaper and at least as effective.

What about building a screened in area

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
Training in my yard is beginning to really suck. The mosquitos are already horrendous. Anyone have those Mosquito Magnet things that uses a propane tank and CO2 to attract and net mosquitos? I’m thinking about splurging and getting one but can anyone give me any recommendations?[/quote]

Man, they are horrible;I live right beside two fields. Usually run of the mill Off works for me.

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
Training in my yard is beginning to really suck. The mosquitos are already horrendous. Anyone have those Mosquito Magnet things that uses a propane tank and CO2 to attract and net mosquitos? I’m thinking about splurging and getting one but can anyone give me any recommendations?[/quote]

Buy one of those sceened canopy tents. They come in sizes up to 12 x12 ft. Prices are anywhere from $80 to $800. Most seem to be around $200. Do some looking around though, as the quality can vary. If you get one with a water proof top you can still work out while it is raining.

hope that helps

buy a bat house.

bat houses have been some what popular in houston, which is mosquito city in the warm months. the bats come out at night at eat all the mosquitos.

Get rid of all the standing water in your yard and use Skin So Soft by Avon.

[quote]tumbeh wrote:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/10/05/mosquito_trap_made_f.html

I work out in my garage when it’s warm enough and if you don’t open the garage door, it’s unbearable. I used the fan originally to cool off and found the mosquitoes either don’t like the turbulent airflow or can’t locate you with your scent being blown everywhere.

Screening the fan knocks down the airflow a little and you have to clean it, but it’s cheap and adds to the general effectiveness. I’m not sure how well it would work dragging a sled or carrying stones around the yard.

The bat house is a great idea too.

You know what is always cool is those big bug zapper things. I don’t know how effective they are at eliminating mosquitos, but man is it cool when a huge bug gets caught in it!

[quote]StevenF wrote:
You know what is always cool is those big bug zapper things. I don’t know how effective they are at eliminating mosquitos, but man is it cool when a huge bug gets caught in it! [/quote]

Like a big dragonfly? BZZZZZBzbzbzbzzbtt!!

They work, but the downside is they ATTRACT bugs, so if you have one, put it far away from where you going to be.