greatest city in the world.
[/quote]

I disagree.

[quote]The 10th anniversary of the day a hole was punched in the city’s heart."
[/quote]
Let’s not be so sensitive, and

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
I think it’s great.

What better way to show that 9/11 didn’t turn us into bed-wetting xenophobic weenies than to let the American Muslim community build a Mosque near ground zero?

Yeah Pat, I agree, build a synagogue, a church a Buddhist stupa all in proximity: show the world we’re not intimidated by anyone’s mythology.[/quote]
That doesn’t preclude not letting jokers into our country who want to build a symbol of conquest. We’re so brave, we let them trash our front yard. That doesn’t make any sense. Of course, you go beyond that to kowtowing to any asshole. You really are a weenie.

and LMAO at the liberal responses in this thread

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
[/quote]

I disagree.[/quote]

There are no cities better than NYC. None come close.

[quote]valiant knight wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
I think it’s great.

What better way to show that 9/11 didn’t turn us into bed-wetting xenophobic weenies than to let the American Muslim community build a Mosque near ground zero?

Yeah Pat, I agree, build a synagogue, a church a Buddhist stupa all in proximity: show the world we’re not intimidated by anyone’s mythology.[/quote]
That doesn’t preclude not letting jokers into our country who want to build a symbol of conquest. We’re so brave, we let them trash our front yard. You guys really are weenies.

[/quote]

A symbol of conquest? A fucking mosque? Unbelievable.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
[/quote]

I disagree.[/quote]

There are no cities better than NYC. None come close.[/quote]

Ugh. Not that nonsense. Even when you guys move down here, the south, you still say that mess! Alot. Like, to anyone who’ll listen.

[/quote]

threads like this make it pretty obvious who is who don’t they?

[/quote]
[/quote]

Let’s not be so sensitive? I really hope you’re not referring to being so senestive about 9/11. I’m guessing you aren’t from the tri-state area or were too young to really understand what happened when it did. 11 people I knew were killed in the towers and you want people to not be so sensitive about a terrorist attack that killed almost 3000 people?

politically correct garbage like this is eroding the values and morals of this country.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[/quote]

threads like this make it pretty obvious who is who don’t they?[/quote]

Yes, the people that see “Muslim” anything and immediately spit vile are obviously the genius neocons.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
[/quote]

I disagree.[/quote]

There are no cities better than NYC. None come close.[/quote]

Ugh. Not that nonsense. Even when you guys move down here, the south, you still say that mess! Alot. Like, to anyone who’ll listen. [/quote]

Actually, I think it’d be great if it wasn’t for all the mean people, life-threatening traffic, high tax rates, and 20 square meter apartments that rent for a grand a month and are considered a steal.

I mean… if it wasn’t actually New York… New York would be a great place.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[/quote]

threads like this make it pretty obvious who is who don’t they?[/quote]

Yes, the people that see “Muslim” anything and immediately spit vile are obviously the genius neocons.[/quote]

Not to be impartial or anything, but I would think it would be beneficial to take the perspective of “the other side”, in this case “genius neocons” as you so eloquently put it, into consideration.

of all the problems in NY, this is really far down on the list. I’d imagine most people who see this as a spit in the face of america/9/11, have never been to NY. This is low man on the totem pole as far as anti-americanism in NY goes.

[quote]relentless2120 wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Let’s not be so sensitive? I really hope you’re not referring to being so senestive about 9/11. I’m guessing you aren’t from the tri-state area or were too young to really understand what happened when it did. 11 people I knew were killed in the towers and you want people to not be so sensitive about a terrorist attack that killed almost 3000 people? [/quote]

And now they’re building another ‘religious center’ where jihadists have a haven.

I guess we’ll have to suffer 100,000 deaths before the American people understand that we are at war and these cells (mosques) are scattered across our country.

[/quote]

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
I think it’s great.

That doesn’t preclude not letting jokers into our country who want to build a symbol of conquest. We’re so brave, we let them trash our front yard. You guys really are weenies.

[/quote]

A symbol of conquest? A fucking mosque? Unbelievable.[/quote]

Hagia Sophia?

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
I think it’s great.

[/quote]

A symbol of conquest? A fucking mosque? Unbelievable.[/quote]

Hagia Sophia?

[/quote]

That’s an excellent point. Constantinople was seen as a watershed conquest by the Islamists.

Have any of you spent any fuckin time in NYC? Or been in cities that have buildings taller than your barns?

You are not going to notice this friggin thing- it’s going to be unnoticeable in the landscape, and it will be one of those buildings like all of the other ones in the city that you’d walk right by and not know what was there if you weren’t looking for it.

You guys make me laugh.

Have any of you spent any fuckin time in NYC? Or been in cities that have buildings taller than your barns?

You are not going to notice this friggin thing- it’s going to be unnoticeable in the landscape, and it will be one of those buildings like all of the other ones in the city that you’d walk right by and not know what was there if you weren’t looking for it.

You guys make me laugh.[/quote]

I beg to differ. I live in Houston and we have some tall buildings all over the place. There is something called buidling signage. If they are going to put the building signage at the top, then I might agree with you, but if they put it on the ground and make it an obnoxious sign then it will be seen by anyone from the freedom tower, or just walking around the site.

Am I correct in saying the mosque owns the building or are they leasing from the building owner who hopfully is not muslim? If they own the building they will have to ability to put up whatever they want as signage within city regulations though.

Houston just changed the way signs may be put on buildings. I do not know about NYC though. In Houston the building signage can only be 25% of the building face and has to be at the top of the building, but if you are going to do a monument sign then it can be as big and obnoxious as you want it to be.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:]

That’s an excellent point. Constantinople was seen as a watershed conquest by the Islamists.
[/quote]

Wasn’t at the time. Christian mercenaries were employed by the Turks: they brought the big guns that brought down the walls. And Constantinople was weak from Christian on Christian fighting in the fourth Crusade. Non-Byzantine Christians didn’t come to their aid either. My point? Even back then it wasn’t really about religion, religion was just a convenient mechanism to be used at times, and ignored at others. The mosque in NY is benign, and only becomes a symbol for anything other than just being a mosque if you elevate it to that.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:]

[/quote]

Wasn’t at the time. Christian mercenaries were employed by the Turks: they brought the big guns that brought down the walls. And Constantinople was weak from Christian on Christian fighting in the fourth Crusade. Non-Byzantine Christians didn’t come to their aid either. My point? Even back then it wasn’t really about religion, religion was just a convenient mechanism to be used at times, and ignored at others. The mosque in NY is benign, and only becomes a symbol for anything other than just being a mosque if you elevate it to that.[/quote]

I agree with the first part of your statement, but the second part about the mosque I would have to disagree.

A mosque is considered a holy site. If it was just maybe 5,000 sq feet maybe but 11-13 floors of a commercial building. That is one big mosque/islamic museum. This is a large statement by Muslims.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

I beg to differ. I live in Houston and we have some tall buildings all over the place. There is something called buidling signage. If they are going to put the building signage at the top, then I might agree with you, but if they put it on the ground and make it an obnoxious sign then it will be seen by anyone from the freedom tower, or just walking around the site.

Am I correct in saying the mosque owns the building or are they leasing from the building owner who hopfully is not muslim? If they own the building they will have to ability to put up whatever they want as signage within city regulations though.

Houston just changed the way signs may be put on buildings. I do not know about NYC though. In Houston the building signage can only be 25% of the building face and has to be at the top of the building, but if you are going to do a monument sign then it can be as big and obnoxious as you want it to be.[/quote]

Dude, I’m talking lower Manhattan. Not Houston. You have “some tall buildings.” The city is ALL tall buildings, one next to another next to another, especially in that part of Manhattan, and thirteen stories, as I believe this was, is peanuts.

Have you ever been to NYC? Aside maybe from Times Square, you can walk by any building and the odds are you’ll have no idea what’s in it because it all fades together.

And believe me when I tell you that it will not be what you call an obnoxious sign, because it is New York, and that shit will be destroyed if it’s too out of line.