T Nation

Mosque Near Ground Zero

The Muslims plan on building a huge mosque within 2 blocks of Ground Zero in New York. Nothing like giving a giant finger to the American people, there in the heart of the greatest city in the world.

They are nesting. Burn the nest.

"A mosque rises over Ground Zero. And fed-up New Yorkers are crying, "No!"

A chorus of critics -- from neighbors to those who lost loved ones on 9/11 to me -- feel as if they've received a swift kick in the teeth.

Plans are under way for a Muslim house of worship, topped by a 13-story cultural center with a swimming pool, in a building damaged by the fuselage of a jet flown by extremists into the World Trade Center.

The opening date shall live in infamy: Sept. 11, 2011. The 10th anniversary of the day a hole was punched in the city's heart."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/mosque_madness_at_ground_zero_OQ34EB0MWS0lXuAnQau5uL

Worst Idea of the Decade!

Biggest slap in the face I have seen in my life time.

Just build a Synagogue next to the mosque. I mean right next to the mosque. That would be fun to watch.

Pat FTW

I think it's great.

What better way to show that 9/11 didn't turn us into bed-wetting xenophobic weenies than to let the American Muslim community build a Mosque near ground zero?

Yeah Pat, I agree, build a synagogue, a church a Buddhist stupa all in proximity: show the world we're not intimidated by anyone's mythology.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I can see both sides of this issue.

The more I read about it, however, the organization that is looking to build it seems to be focused on religious tolerance and trying to show the millions of Muslims, especially the American ones, who are not extremist killers.

Another thing is that with the way NYC is, you're probably not going to notice it all that much. Where it is isn't visible from the WTC site, and it will blend in with all of the other crap that's in lower Manhattan.

It is not a good thing to have this reactionary response to everything Muslim. Being accepting of religion is what has made this country different than many others. As another poster said, we don't want to show the world that we are severely xenophobic and blatantly racist against Muslims.

Again- I can see both sides of this, and I don't plan on arguing with those who would be insulted by it. I can certainly understand their views also. But knowing the nature of lower Manhattan, again, I don't think it's going to be noticed amongst all of the other shit down there. It will be another needle in a stack of needles.

I think that's exactly what HH wants to do. Islam didn't kill these people. Should we not build catholic churches next to day care centers?

I think that specific location is the problem. I don't have a problem with a Mosque at all, just that it being right THERE of all places. Just not cool at all.

I have been away for awhile, is Islam a race now?

That's all you've got to contribute huh? Great.

Opening day, Sept 11th, 2011.

If that's not a declaration of sorts, what is?

The nest...the nest...

It was an honest question. Anyways, am I the only one who believes that the people of Islam are doing this solely for the purpose of re-opening those wounds suffered on 9/11? Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd be willing to bet they would build the mosque ON ground zero, if they had the opportunity.

It is a true statement.

Build a half mosque half synagogue, like those taco bell/pizza hut things you see sometimes. Or even better, build a synagogue inside the mosque.

Would the towers still be standing if Islam did not exist? I think they would.

LOL.

Like Dunkin Donuts and baskin robbins. Same employees work at both too.

You are correct. Islam makes one give up their mind and will to Allah. This has disasterous consequences for the mental well-being of practitioners. They will begin to act in deranged manners, such as whipping women for showing an ankle or wanting to behead little old ladies for letting a little kid name his Teddy Bear 'Mohammed'.

Burn the nest. Just like hornets will build a big nest on your house if you let them, the Muslims are building a nest near Ground Zero.

The Nest! The Nest!

Your personal views on that religion are completely irrelevant as to whether or not that mosque should be built. Please stop making everyone around you stupider.